PDA

View Full Version : few engine/other issues

JPerfect
04-21-2005, 03:08 AM
Ok, 2 issues here.

First one, is when i hit bumps on the road, pot holes, etc. theres a loud pinging noise coming from under the car, sounds like the E-Brake cable is loose or the exhaust or something.

Second is there is a squeaking coming from my engine, especially when I rev the car. I'm not talking about raping the engine, i'm talking about 2000 rpms to get into first gear...

theres actually a third problem but i think i know what it is... when i take slight turns on the highway, the car rumbles, it feels like a balancing issue. I'm going to take my car in for a tire rotation and alignment.

any ideas? :?

m44ic
04-21-2005, 03:57 AM
Ok, 2 issues here.

First one, is when i hit bumps on the road, pot holes, etc. theres a loud pinging noise coming from under the car, sounds like the E-Brake cable is loose or the exhaust or something.

Second is there is a squeaking coming from my engine, especially when I rev the car. I'm not talking about raping the engine, i'm talking about 2000 rpms to get into first gear...

theres actually a third problem but i think i know what it is... when i take slight turns on the highway, the car rumbles, it feels like a balancing issue. I'm going to take my car in for a tire rotation and alignment.

any ideas? :?

1. probably just exhuast rattling around but jack it up anyway and have a look just to make sure its nothing serious.

2. most likely the belts are squeaking

cali-ti
04-21-2005, 04:01 AM
hmmmm ... a pinging sound or a rattle? parking brake cables are pretty well secured (unless yours are out of the cable holders, check to make sure before they rub through your brake hose like mine started to) so i doubt it would be that (but certainly worth checking). i would jack it up, put it on jack stands and get under there tapping around to see if you find anything loose. a number of people have issues with the heat shield around the cat, but that is usually a noticeable rattle around 2k rpms.

squeaking? never heard of that sound being described as coming from the engine. can you get a better idea where it's coming from? does it happen when sitting still (reving the engine) or only while driving? if it does it while sitting still as well, pop the hood and have someone rev it to get a better idea.

JPerfect
04-21-2005, 04:33 AM
Yeah, I do need to install new belts, the A/C belt is looking pretty ratty. I'll work on that this weekend. As for the rattling, it might be the heatshield, or something to do with the exhaust, since I do, in fact, have an exhaust leak.

you can hear it, when in idle... it intermittently goes blblblblbbbblblblb, strangely...

Thanks for the advice, i'll post up when i have an update :)

cali-ti
04-21-2005, 05:19 AM
probably that damn heat shield! there is another thread "rattling heat shield" devoted to it, lol.

duh, belts! good point m44ic. mine finally arrived, along with new mechanical adjuster, new pulleys and new timing chain tensioner. i'll get to install those one of these weekends. let us know how it goes J!

hotdog19d
04-21-2005, 05:26 AM
could be the pulleys to

JPerfect
04-21-2005, 06:15 PM
thanks all, i'll let you know.