PDA

View Full Version : CD Changer

Dean
04-21-2005, 08:03 PM
I have recently imported a 1995 ti to the Cayman Islands.
It has a BMW factory fitted 6-CD changer and head unit. The CD changer reads the first 10 seconds of a track and then skips. I have tried cleaning the laser etc with no success.
Does anyone know if there is a compatible changer with the current head unit that I can buy? I believe that the stereo, although marked BMW is actually Blaupunkt – will a new Blaupunkt changer be compatible?

Tyler
04-21-2005, 08:23 PM
No it won't,has to be either Alpine or Pioneer

aceyx
04-21-2005, 08:33 PM
'95 is an odd year, so you want to really be sure about aftermarket solutions (e.g. 96+ pioneer / alpine changers with adaptors will not work).

Dean
04-21-2005, 08:41 PM
I think that my safest option will be to buy a CD changer that has an RF modulator - these broadcast on the FM frequency. Not sure if I will get the same quality of sound though. Does any one have one?

Tyler
04-21-2005, 09:16 PM
I think you'll loose some clarity, if it were me i'd stay away from that. Why don't you contact your local BMW Dealership and ask them.

Dean
04-21-2005, 09:17 PM
It is going in for a BIG service on Monday - i will ask them.

cali-ti
04-22-2005, 02:43 AM
btw, i HATE my bmw/alpine changer, i think it's a POS. mine likes to skip intermittently for absolutely no apparent reason too. i've disassembled, cleaned and re-lubed it (not the lens of course :p ) and it still does it. i want to smash it with a sledgehammer. now i just listen to my diff whine instead, it's actually LESS aggrevating ...

bmwhartgeM3
04-28-2005, 12:39 AM
well in deans case it sounds like the lazer is gettin stuck on the track. id check to see if it has free movement all the way. also mine skipped everytime i went over a bump no matter what size. then i took it out of its rigid frame and havent had the problem since.

dodj
04-28-2005, 12:59 AM
you might want to check the manual....some cd players this is a Play option called scan or something

where it will only play the first 10 seconds of each song then skip. sounds dumb?
i have seen quite a few with that setting, i dont know about the cd players in USA though.