PDA

View Full Version : Peake tool code for Check Engine Light - CEL

Phil Marx
04-30-2005, 06:19 PM
My CEL has been on so I borrowed a friend's Peake R5 tool to read and reset the code. The code as deciphered in the Peake list didn't make any sense as to what the cause was and I can't remember what it said exactly. Something like "primary air" blaah, blaah, blaah. I expected an oxygen sensor fault but couldn't twist up my head all funny to make that come out of what the Peake chart was saying. Anyway, the car is a '98 318ti automatic and the Peake codes were 07 - 50 - 1b. Does this mean anything to anyone with the Peake tool? The Peake folks seem to have stifled any discussion or reference to their codes on the Web and I've already searched this forum in hopes of an answer. Thanks in advance.

-Phil

chepas
05-02-2005, 09:02 PM
My engine light came on yesterday...Fck...But everything works perfect (for my knowledge)
How many miles does your car has? I'll guess is your O2's Sensors
My '97 just hit 115k miles, I looked into it and the O2 Sensor needed to be change when hits 100k miles, which I didn't. Well, I just ordered some O2s. we'll see what happens when installed...
I don't have a peake tool yet, but if this doesn't work I'm getting one...

Phil Marx
05-02-2005, 10:32 PM
I was thinking that, too, but the whole point of the tool is to eliminate the guesswork. The Peake code interpretation manual says it's this:

"secondary air control" and "fuel trim QL additive"

Does that mean anything to you? It doesn't to me!

hotdog19d
05-03-2005, 02:44 AM
Don't always rely on the Peake tool. It read a cam pos sensor fault on my cars as some kind of security sytem fault. Take you're car to auto-zone or a dealership and double check the fault.

chepas
05-03-2005, 05:50 AM
I was thinking that, too, but the whole point of the tool is to eliminate the guesswork. The Peake code interpretation manual says it's this:

"secondary air control" and "fuel trim QL additive"

Does that mean anything to you? It doesn't to me!

Look what I found!:

Subject: Re: [UUC] Peake reader codes question

Additive mixture problems are at idle.("fuel trim QL additive")

You most likely have an air leak, probably from the intake gaskets. I'd
suggest resealing the intake and replacing the cyclonic plate at the rear of
the manifold.

Phil Marx
05-03-2005, 06:11 AM
Thanks. I'll get out the carb cleaner spray and go fishing for intake leaks.

-Phil

J!m
05-03-2005, 05:21 PM
Secondary air is the electric air pump. It could be bad, or intermittent. Also, leaks in the piping for the pump could cause problems, as this would cause a rich condition at the oxygen sensors...

Mothman
05-05-2005, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the info on the check engine light! Would have never guessed the O2. Outie!

chepas
05-18-2005, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the info on the check engine light! Would have never guessed the O2. Outie!

By the way so that you'll stop guessing like I did, I find out the AutoParts reads your Comp.(check engine light Codes) for free, and yes my O2 sensors were failing.

DustenT
05-18-2005, 07:47 PM
Don't always rely on the Peake tool. It read a cam pos sensor fault on my cars as some kind of security sytem fault. Take you're car to auto-zone or a dealership and double check the fault.

That means you have the old version of the peake tool. They now have a version 2 that fixes this problem.

Mothman
05-19-2005, 11:40 PM
The Check engine light is a revolving light right?