PDA

View Full Version : 2 More ti Questions

cjandmm
05-03-2005, 06:16 PM
I have two more questions regarding the different trim levels of the 318ti.

1. What is an easy way to tell a Sport model by looking. I have seen pictures of several Sport and non-Sport ti's. They both seem to have very similar, if not identical ground-effect packages installed. Is there possibly something in the VIN that identifies the original trim level?

2. ASC+T - Was this installed on every single 96+ Sport, or was it an option? I saw an ad for a 1998 ti, but it didn't mention the car having this equipped.

Thanks you,

96cali
05-03-2005, 06:37 PM
EZ Sport ID= wide black trim strips all the way around the car, slatted valence at bottom of rear bumper and fogs+airducts on front bumper.

1996 328ti
05-04-2005, 01:35 AM
ASC-T started late 96 standard.

Sarafil
05-31-2005, 02:58 AM
I have two more questions regarding the different trim levels of the 318ti.

1. What is an easy way to tell a Sport model by looking. I have seen pictures of several Sport and non-Sport ti's. They both seem to have very similar, if not identical ground-effect packages installed. Is there possibly something in the VIN that identifies the original trim level?

2. ASC+T - Was this installed on every single 96+ Sport, or was it an option? I saw an ad for a 1998 ti, but it didn't mention the car having this equipped.

Thanks you,

A real sport package car will have the full aero package (front, rear and side valences), the thicker black plastic door moldings (my '97 has an M logo on the moldings on both front doors... not sure about other years), and Sport seats (these are the ones with the adjustable thigh support and wider side bolsters, and they are covered in cloth/leather upholstery).

I've seen some non-sport cars have have been fitted with the aero kit, but I haven't seen the trim or sport seats in these cars. Someone has to go really out of their way to do a full Sport package conversion.

GDB
05-31-2005, 03:55 AM
EZ Sport ID= wide black trim strips all the way around the car, slatted valence at bottom of rear bumper and fogs+airducts on front bumper.

FYI, any ti can have fog lights and brake ducts, it's just not readily visible from the outside.

roadrash
06-24-2005, 02:57 PM
OK, I can't decide... Sport, or Not Sport?
http://www.northgeorgiaauto.com/am/listings/l8112.shtml

The front bumper looks Sport to me, but the rear bumper and side moldings don't.
Why can't they just put a badge on it somewhere to make it easier for us ti-newbies? :)

BTW... Since I'm thinking about test driving it soon, does anyone have any thoughts on this car? It's listed as FWD, but I'm pretty sure that's a mistake. :)

Thanks!
JMJ

96cali
06-24-2005, 05:49 PM
Definitely not a sport model. Nothing sport at all. Probably an Active package by the wheels. Ususally actives had fogs, leather, comfort stuff. Can't tell by photos. Nice color though!

robcarync
06-24-2005, 06:44 PM
looks almost exactly like my car when i got mine

http://www.cardomain.com/profile/robcarync

probably an active...thats what ive concluded mine was...but i had some trouble figuring it out too!

1996 328ti
06-24-2005, 07:04 PM
Active. The car has cruise which was standard. Fog lights would have been an option. Standard only on the Sport. It is also listed as a 6 cylinder.:evil_lau:

cali-ti
06-25-2005, 12:31 AM
that HAS to be the first 6-cylinder FWD 318ti i've ever seen! buy it now, it's a collector's item! lol

roadrash
06-26-2005, 06:48 AM
A collectors item? Wow... I'm definitely going to snap that one up no matter how much they ask for. Maybe I'll just hand the salesman a blank check and let his conscience decide the price. LOL

Seriously though... I might drive down there on Monday, and if I do, I'll do my best to take some notes in case anyone else is interested in that car. Assuming that he doesn't make me an offer I can't refuse. :)

bbbmw
06-29-2005, 11:47 PM
BTW - the ad says "6 cylinder", but it is a 4 cyl

pdxmotorhead
06-29-2005, 11:51 PM
Unless its a pre-converted one.... That would be nice... Very Nice...

Dave

cali-ti
06-30-2005, 02:08 AM
Unless its a pre-converted one.... That would be nice... Very Nice...

Dave
and while they were at it, they converted it to a FWD, lol! my guess it they just don't have a freakin' clue what they're talking about. surprised they new the roundel meant bmw :p

battleship_potemkin
06-30-2005, 02:12 AM
Nope, not a 6 cyl. or FWD. That's an M42 engine, just like the one I bought new from the dealer.

And note that the battery compartment cover is missing. Have them knock $1,000.00 off for that.

Dredder
06-30-2005, 02:37 AM
I wouldnt pay more than 3k for this car. No shift knob means the previous onwer must have abuse it. Look at the clutch pedal, the rubber is very worn. If the hood marks are not bird poo then maybe close to $4k. good luck finding your baby

2ndBimmer
06-30-2005, 03:18 AM
Ive also seen classifieds listing 325i's as having V6's.

Morons......

adamud
06-30-2005, 05:13 AM
no 318ti has a standard inline 6 and not a V6. plus the 325 doesnt come in a inline 4, only a inline 6.

TYL
06-30-2005, 06:22 AM
I wouldnt pay more than 3k for this car. No shift knob means the previous onwer must have abuse it. Look at the clutch pedal, the rubber is very worn. If the hood marks are not bird poo then maybe close to $4k. good luck finding your baby Way too much money for a car with 136K miles on.