PDA

View Full Version : WTB: 318ti

roadrash
05-03-2005, 07:04 PM
Greetings!

I'm looking for a car to replace my '89 Civic Si (broken timing belt... RIP) and have a friend with a 318ti that I like. Heck, I still like the Civic, so if I can't find a 318ti soon enough, I may "invest" the money in the Civic. Though I question the sanity of investing $2K in a car with a blue book value of $2K. :)

Here's what I'm looking for....

1995-1998 BMW 318ti
Prefer '96-'98
Color Preference: Silver, Black, Blue, White, Red
Under $10,000 [will trade the Honda... free is even better :) ]

Desired features:
5-speed
Sunroof
I like the 5-spoke alloy wheels, but that's not a strict requirement.
Prefer non-modded car, and I don't intend to do any modifications.

I'm in Nashville, TN, but am searching nationwide. There don't seem to be many of these cars in this area... at least not many that are for sale.

Any leads or tips on where to find such a car will be greatly appreciated. I'm looking at autotrader, ebay, dealsonwheels, carmax, autobytel, and several local dealers and sites.

Thanks,

JMJ
roadrash@mindspring.com

cvacc411
05-08-2005, 06:47 PM
I am selling my silver 318ti. My email is cvacc411@hotmail.com.

roadrash
06-30-2005, 12:11 AM
um... bump.

I'm still lookin' for a 318ti... are there any for sale out there?

::Sunroof and 5-speed are requirements
::color choices have shifted to Black, Blue, Red, Silver
::I had the Honda repaired (wasn't a broken timing belt, but a broken cam shaft) so it's available for trade.

heh heh heh... why is it that when I know what I want, I can never find it? ;}

Feel free to contact me at roadrash@mindspring.com

bmwracerchick
06-30-2005, 12:26 AM
well Ti's are actually kind of hard to find to specific requirements. Most if not all Ti's have a sunroof, I havent seen one without one yet. Some even have that cali roof that is cloth. If you get a ti, look for a color that isnt what you usually see on the road everyday. Like my color is extremely rare, havent seen another like it yet on a BMW. Look on ebay, they usually have good ones for sale, try looking on www.bimmerforums.com also, maybe you would like the sedan 318 model, that way you can widen your choices. Thats just my suggestion. Good luck with your search!

roadrash
06-30-2005, 12:34 AM
heh heh... the very first one I found online met every one of my specs, except it didn't have a sunroof. And if I limited my color choices, I'd NEVER find one. LOL

and I do know I want a hatchback rather than a sedan/coupe... I've had one for 16 years and I'm a bit accustomed to it. Same thing with the 5-speed/sunroof. :)

I'll check bimmerforums again... thanks for the reminder!

roadrash
07-08-2005, 03:58 PM
Still looking for that elusive "just right" 318ti.

Finders fee to anyone who hooks me up with info leading to a purchase, or anyone who sells me their car: 1-year subscription to this site. :)

Does anyone here know anything about these two cars, or have any comments....
1996 Sport (black) (http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=22&paId=173464206&pageNumber=0&numResultsPerPage=1500&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=ascending&sortfield=MMT+ascending%2CPRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&recnum=31&leadExists=true&criteria=K-%7CE-ANY%7CM-_5_%7CB-10000%7CH-%7CD-_30_%7CN-N%7CR-500%7CI-1%7CP-MMT+ascending%2CPRICE+descending%7CQ-ascending%7CY-_1999-1998-1997-1996-1995_%7CX-popular%7CZ-37204&aff=national)
1995 Club Sport (red) (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4547143055&fromMakeTrack=true)

The first one is basically what I'm looking for but I can't get a reply from the owner, and he doesn't have any pix posted.

Grazie!!

JMJ

jflip2002
07-10-2005, 08:18 PM
My TI doesnt have a sunroof. My E30 did, and I hated the sunroof. Now I hate the fact that my TI doesnt have a sunroof lol. It'll probably cost a cool grand or so to put a sunroof in, and I just dont really think its worth it... yet. I have other mods coming before a sunroof. Id look for a cali top, they have them all the time on ebay, I love them.

1996 328ti
07-10-2005, 09:00 PM
If I was buying a ti I'd want a Club Sport just because they were a limited edition. Sagging headliner is pretty normal, not only for the ti. I don't know either of the cars. I also prefer the look of the sport over the non-sports.

jflip2002
07-10-2005, 09:37 PM
I agree, the sports look way nicer than non sports...... whats the difference between sports and club sports? Mine has the M body, and M badges all over it.... Thats just a plain ol' sport, right?

roadrash
07-10-2005, 09:49 PM
Yeah a Club Sport would be nice, but a reliable source (who until recently owned a Club Sport) told me that particular car was worth maybe $5800.

If the owner of the black one doesn't call me back by tomorrow, I'm going to give up on it. :(

I also found a '98 Sport, blue, ~135K miles, for $6500. BUT it's 900+ miles away and has a couple of issues. 1) the sunroof won't open, and 2) it overheats after being driven for 15 minutes. If it were a local car and I could have a trusted mechanic check it out and tell me what it would take to fix it, I'd consider that car. But, my gut it telling me "Run away! Run away!!" (Yes, that's a Holy Grail reference for all you Monty Python fans out there.)

[sigh] The more I deal with car repair and car shopping, the more I love my bicycle. heh heh

1996 328ti
07-11-2005, 02:06 PM
I agree, the sports look way nicer than non sports...... whats the difference between sports and club sports? Mine has the M body, and M badges all over it.... Thats just a plain ol' sport, right?
Basically a 95 Sport did not have the M-Technic trim and mirrors although I believe it had the same suspension and maybe sport seats.
The +96 Sport was the 95 CS sans the mirrors and of course the M42 motor.

1996 328ti
07-11-2005, 02:09 PM
I also found a '98 Sport, blue, ~135K miles, for $6500. BUT it's 900+ miles away and has a couple of issues.900 miles is not far for the right car. I would stay away with one that has overheating issues. Who knows what the block looks like. I flew from DC to FL to pick up my car, pretty much sight unseen. But I did know the PO for a couple years.

roadrash
07-11-2005, 06:30 PM
900 miles is not far for the right car.

Oh, I agree with that. But, if I already know it has issues, and it would be a hassle to get the issues diagnosed/fixed... Is that really the "right" car? :)

Heck, if the guy in KS would call me back and maybe send some photos, I'd book a flight today, be there on the 18th and drive it back here. But, no return call means that's probably not the "right" car either, eh?

So, the search continues.

96cali
07-12-2005, 03:55 PM
Roadrash- where are you? Would you consider a non-sport with cali roof and low miles?

roadrash
07-12-2005, 05:40 PM
I'm in lovely Nashville, TN... aka Music City, USA.

I don't know if I'd be happy with a non-sport at this point. I know that I really like the look of the Sport more than the base/active. The amenities of the Active aren't important enough to me to get a higher rating over a similar Sport. The CA top is cool but doesn't sway me either way... a normal sun roof puts enough sun on my bare head to keep me happy. :) I suppose mileage only really comes into play as a comparison to another similar car.

But... whatcha got in mind? :)

I suppose I could/should update my shopping list to reflect how important the various factors are to me. I'll get to work on that. :)

cali-ti
07-12-2005, 06:24 PM
rash ... is that an actual pic of you in your avatar? booyah!

roadrash
07-12-2005, 06:32 PM
rash ... is that an actual pic of you in your avatar?

Yeah, for better or for worse... that's my mug. I've still got the shirt too. LOL Hopefully, one day I'll be able to replace that with a pic of my 318ti.

booyah!

I have no idea what that means, so I'll just smile... :) ... and assume it's a compliment of some sort.

cali-ti
07-12-2005, 06:41 PM
saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah-weet! :biggrin:

be nice to find a sport since you get the m-tech body pieces, otherwise i don't think the spring/suspension mods are not something you couldn't accomplish quite easily with aftermarket pieces. buying and getting body pieces shot to match your current paint would be tougher. my friend keeps telling me not to even bother getting my dents (not too bad) removed because you'll never do better than the original factory paint. with 210k on it, i guess i'm in no rush to try to make it look like a show car anyway. :p

roadrash
07-12-2005, 08:56 PM
saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah-weet!

Huh? I have no idea how to interpret that. LOL

I suppose I "could" find a Base/Active model and add the Sport body/suspension/interior bits, but that would take too long and cost too much. It hardly seems worth the effort. So I'm still looking... and trying to not invest too much in the Honda to keep it running. heh heh

96cali
07-12-2005, 09:40 PM
I'm in lovely Nashville, TN... aka Music City, USA.

But... whatcha got in mind? :)

I love Nashville! I had a weeks stay there while my wife underwent neurosurgery at Vanderbilt. I have never in my life met more friendly hospital staff or people in general. How'd they let you in? :biggrin:

Well I'm probably looking for a non-sport-enthusiast but mega-fun-enthusiast which is what I was when I bought her in '02. Enthusiasts here and on bf.c tend to be perf oriented and the cali roof is not really performance unless you argue it's some form kind of forced induction. I have slowly upgraded her, but you are correct in waiting if you have sport on the brain. Currently '96 California Edition has a small ailment in the way of a broken rear spring which gives me a good excuse to install the Koni's, OEM sport springs and sways I have in the basement. Wish I had more time to tinker. All my tinkering goes into the house and fatherhood which is what you get when you're 36!

The short of it is a 1996 Cali package, red, stick, 65k, mild appearance upgrades to gray cloth interior, new RE750 tires on 16" OEM sport wheels, upgraded rotors, soon to have sport suspension, snow tires, and some extra stuff. I keep thinking I should sell but find it hard to part with!

lkwd318ti
07-12-2005, 10:55 PM
Hey man, I just found this one on Bimmerforums...
But yeah...the price is kinda up there and it's really far from you...
Just wanted to let you know just in case you might want it...
Click me (http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4550718#post4550718)

Good luck finding a car

-Randy

roadrash
07-12-2005, 11:13 PM
Yeah, I saw that one and have already e-mailed the seller... thanks! :) I thought I saw it here also, but maybe I'm wrong.

He's willing to keep the wheelset and the high-end audio stuff to get the price down a bit, but it's still a bit out of my range... for now. I really don't want to, but maybe I'll just have to do some financing. [sigh]

cvacc411
07-14-2005, 06:33 AM
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=369066

I still have mine available. I'm in the process of changing the clutch. Someone in Daytona Beach is going to come test drive when install is complete. This car will be 100% mechanically sound once clutch is changed. The one reason I'm selling is to open a gelateria in port st. lucie, FL. The other reason is I don't drive it and ride my motorcycle all the time and have a truck for the times it rains. I wouldn't be selling if I didn't have to, a damn fine car I must say.

drhughes
07-17-2005, 09:45 PM
I'm considering selling my 96ti. Silver, 5 speed, 55K miles, sunroof, cloth interior, tinted windows, alloy wheels, keyless entry, alarm. Has new tires, belts, front brakes. No mods to speak of. I'm in Little Rock, so not too terribly far as these things go. My email is drhughes@hotmail.com if you want more details or a pic.

roadrash
07-18-2005, 10:45 PM
cvacc411 and drhughes... both of your cars look NICE... and pretty much meed my specs, with one exception: the color. I guess I'm picky... I really want black, but will settle for blue. Please keep me posted on your sales though! :)

Panzer_M
07-19-2005, 07:31 AM
If I was buying a ti I'd want a Club Sport just because they were a limited edition. Sagging headliner is pretty normal, not only for the ti. I don't know either of the cars. I also prefer the look of the sport over the non-sports.
I love my club sport.

and I've own two Ti so far. and hope to own some more.

maybe a 2002 Touring somehow

cleocleo
07-25-2005, 07:18 PM
I'm selling my 98 ti, and I think I can hit MOST of your requests: all original (no mods), 5-spoke rims, sunroof, 5 speed, 3 hours from Nashville, 6-CD changer, fog lamps. It has the active package, with a number of the Sport package features as added options (fogs, rims, etc.).

I'm the second owner and bought it in 2000 as Certified Pre-owned from a dealer in Texas. I have all service records. However it's Boston Green (cooler in the summer than black, and easier to keep clean!) :)

You can e-me at bmaxwellsmith@hotmail.com

caffeinekid
07-27-2005, 01:11 AM
I am selling my red 96' 318ti w/California top (w/slipstreem upgrade), 5 speed, black cloth interior, Kenwood mp3/cd player & XM satellite receiver, 149K miles and 16" wheels for $5000.00.

The overall shape of the car's exterior is good and looks good waxed, but could use paint if you are a perfectionist. The interior is good-very good shape with everything functional. I will be puting a new cat on it (as soon as I can find a Magnaflow) since it is displaying a code and I live in a state that requires emissions inspections. Other than that, it is a great car for $5000.00.

1996 328ti
07-27-2005, 01:45 AM
For those who have a car for sale, use the for sale section (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13).

theguy
09-08-2005, 01:01 AM
I think I might have droped you an email already and if so, sorry for the repeat. I am however selling a car that seems to fit all or your specs although I am in California so that might be a bitch. Anywho, it's posted on craigslist for the San Francisco area so you can check it out there ir you're interested or drop me a line directly at maddogward@gmail.com

roadrash
09-08-2005, 01:53 AM
Yeah... the "California" thing is an issue, only because it's so far away. A bigger issue is that I've pretty much stopped shopping and decided to invest my "spare" cash in some entrepreneurial ideas and/or possible moving expenses. But, I saw your listing at craigslist (you should put a link to that in your thread here so that potential buyers don't have to harrass you for photos!) and if I start shopping again, I know where to look. :-)

roadrash
06-24-2006, 05:25 PM
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I thought it would be useful to officially "close" the thread since I've found a car and am no longer shopping for one. :-)