PDA

View Full Version : How to get spark plugs in?

sKunkman
05-03-2005, 07:05 PM
So I acquired a box of Bosch Plat 4 spark plugs, I assume they fit my car. When I had my car up on a lift yesterday I saw that the plugs were on the side of the engine. Any easy way to get the wires out and the plugs in? Should I do it from the top or bottom? And if from the top, do I have to remove anything big?

m44ic
05-03-2005, 07:16 PM
So I acquired a box of Bosch Plat 4 spark plugs, I assume they fit my car. When I had my car up on a lift yesterday I saw that the plugs were on the side of the engine. Any easy way to get the wires out and the plugs in? Should I do it from the top or bottom? And if from the top, do I have to remove anything big?

the wires actually run on the side of the engine then to the back and then under the plastic piece in the middle of the valve cover. pull this cover off and then pull the plug wires out (this is located on the top of the engine in the middle of the valve cover) with the tool that is mounted right on the engine next to the plugwires, you will need a long socket extension to reach the plugs which are way down in there from the top off the engine.

aceyx
05-03-2005, 09:46 PM
i'd suggest taking the +4s back and grabbing a set of +2s; it's better to have two strong sparks than two weak sparks. also, make sure they are specific to your car. spark plugs are built with a certain "gap" spacing between the anode and the diode, and this is important to getting a good spark.

ron stygar has a nice writeup on unofficialbmw. he uses a "spark plug insertion tool," but you can get special sockets with a rubber insert that works just as well.

mickd
05-04-2005, 01:13 AM
i'd suggest taking the +4s back and grabbing a set of +2s; it's better to have two strong sparks than two weak sparks. also, make sure they are specific to your car. spark plugs are built with a certain "gap" spacing between the anode and the diode, and this is important to getting a good spark.

ron stygar has a nice writeup on unofficialbmw. he uses a "spark plug insertion tool," but you can get special sockets with a rubber insert that works just as well.
The spark actually only goes from the center electrode to one ground prong at a time, the one with the least resistance for the best spark.

aceyx
05-04-2005, 01:30 AM
i have no idea why i said two weak sparks.

i agree this is how it works (one at a time), but if you increase the number of jump points, there will be less buildup at the electrode before the jump. that is, if it's "too easy," you're getting weak sparks.

this is all grassroots technology, so i'm not sure it applies to this car with an induction coil. just the way i been learn'd.