PDA

View Full Version : Humming at 60mph?

bluebastion
05-07-2005, 07:06 PM
I know what the "groaring" noise sounds like from the HVAC... doesn't sound like that... so it must be something else because noise still sounds when a/c is off. Noise started when I "pushed" my car when trying to accelerate pretty hard (catching up with the rest of the traffic).... then the noise started... almost sounds like a medium pitch brake rubbing noise... however I know it's not my brakes because they've just been changed along with rotors and all... regreased and inspected...

so with all that said... I haven't had my water pump changed yet... could this be a sound that resulted in a faulty water pump? So far no leaks on the ground from my car. I opened the hood while the car was running too... the fan behind the radiator isn't moving.. but then I'm not a gear head, and couldn't tell if there even was a fan there. Please help me on this... don't want the car to overheat on me. :)

bluebastion
05-07-2005, 07:14 PM
Ok I see the fan now.... it's not moving when I turn on the car. Let me guess this is bad. Anyways.. how much will something like this cost? I also haven't changed the radiator yet, or the water pump (like earlier stated). Would this all be a good idea to do together? My car is original at 110k and is a 98. Please let me know what to expect... and Jeff if you're reading this, "You got a good deal on this one?" :)

aceyx
05-07-2005, 09:58 PM
the fan won't turn on unless the car is at operating temp for a while. give it a few minutes and it'll start up.

water pump is a definite. unless you know for sure, it's better to drop $200 now than $800 later.

the description of the sound makes it seem like a belt slipping on a pulley.

usagi
05-08-2005, 12:09 AM
This might not apply to your case, but I just had a car that hummed. I used to drive a VW Golf, and I replaced the tranny around 190K miles. It was a rebuilt tranny. Right after I picked it up from the shop, I noticed the humming sound at all gears.
I turned around and went right back to the mechanic. He said everything was working fine, the transmission fluid which I thought might be low or wasn't filled up, was ok.
Anyway, I continue to have the humming sound and went to many different mechanic,
What I have come to believe now is that it's the differentials. It seems to be the concensus among the mechanics. I have sold that car and never went back to replace the tranny.

bluebastion
05-08-2005, 01:51 AM
thanks for the replies guys... I ran the car from work to home today (30+miles) and no humms... really weird. Might have been from running it hard? Dunno... anyways, if anything I've learned that I need to change the thermostat and waterpump by the end of this summer..(if not month).... just for precautionary reasons... Anyone know what the benifit of getting the metal thermostat housing is over the standard plastic? And if I buy the thermostat, does it already come with the housing? Thanks.

cali-ti
05-08-2005, 01:50 PM
what year is your ti? 95's with the m42 are the only ones that have or can get the aluminum housing for the thermostat. do a search on the site for thermostat and you should find the earlier thread :) there was even someone with an early 96 that had an m42 engine. otherwise, the thermostat and housing come as one piece for all the m44's (96+). i was looking to do the water pump and coolant hoses at some point in the near future myself. pelicanparts.com has a nice "water pump super kit" that might fit the bill well: http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/catalog/shopcart/BE36/POR_BE36_waterc_pg1.htm

have you had the temp go high or anything? i would think if the belt were slipping too much or the water pump seized, that the temp would go up fairly quickly. if your belt is slipping, you may need to do belts too (inspect for damage).

simplemec
02-28-2007, 05:57 PM
Have you tried turn fast to the left or right while driving at 60mph. I had a sound also it was from 40-55mph, I looked at everything, i found my exhaust shield for the cat loose , Also i found when i make a fast turn left the sound goes away for a split second, my left wheel bearing needed to be replaced. When i turn right the sound stayed.. Hopefully this helps.