PDA

View Full Version : Feedback Requested on Keys

motorwerk
05-09-2005, 03:34 PM
Hi Everybody,

Can anybody provide feedback or experience on keys (either aftermarket or OEM) on a 318ti? When I bought my ti, the owner only gave me one key and I need to get one for backup! I saw this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7973401509&category=40016&sspagename=WDVW

...which is a flip key for E36's...Anybody have any experiences on this? I kinda like the flip key for a second key. Also, would ANY key duplicating shop be able to copy, or do I need to go to a dealership? I've seen on the net from other people that dealerships won't 'touch' aftermarket keys...is this true for our cars?

Any feedback would be appreciated if you've had experience on this subject...Thanks again...motorwerk

MEDIA PUSHER"
05-09-2005, 04:36 PM
I don't where in socal you reside but I know a place that will cut bmw keys in carlsbad, its kind of pricey, $35 I think. Aside from that man where do you dj, I'm always looking for people to practice and mix with, most people out here don't know how to skratch, and if they do they know nothing about mixing.

rendoll911
05-09-2005, 04:40 PM
i believe there is a computer chip in the key so you would need to embed that into you're new key or get another one from the dealer then embed it

motorwerk
05-09-2005, 05:05 PM
I don't where in socal you reside but I know a place that will cut bmw keys in carlsbad, its kind of pricey, $35 I think. Aside from that man where do you dj, I'm always looking for people to practice and mix with, most people out here don't know how to skratch, and if they do they know nothing about mixing.
Hey Media Pusher! Ever since I got married and had a kid, I kinda slowed down from the DJ business although I used to DJ in Old Town Pasadena (The Muse) regularly spinning hip-hop, old school, R&B. F$$K the CD mixers...it's all about the VINYL. I grew up hanging out in the early 80-90's in the Mecca Capital of DJing though, Cerritos, Cali and 'tried' to seek the 'infinite wisdom' from them.

You might have heard most of the successful hip-hop DJ's are OG in Cerritos in my time...Rhettmatic (KDAY), Melo-D (KDAY), Icy-Ice has his Record Shop in Cerritos, etc. I was in DJ Eman's (Power 106) crew (Style DJ's) back in the day and most of the crew is now on Power 106 (including his brother Virman and DJ Ron). I DJ'ed for the 'love of DJing' but didn't pursue doing it for a living (or didn't have the talent to sustain it!). I live in Corona, CA now (bought a pad, married and have a kid)...FYI, DJ Babu (from the Beat Junkies and Dialated Peoples) lives in my area too but I never see him 'cause he travels alot.

Dude, you should check out Icy-Ice's record store in Cerritos called Stacks. He also has a website:

http://www.stacksvinyl.com/cgi-bin/store/store.cgi

Last time I was up there, I watched a free Souls of Mischief mini-concert...it was dope...he has hip-hop heads coming up there once in a while. In the meantime, if you don't have any hip-hop DVD's, you can buy it from his store (including mixology, training, etc).

Thanks for the 411 on Carlsbad...I might consider driving down there to get another key made...is it true that the keys have 'a computer chip'? If so, buying an aftermarket key might be more challenging...

MEDIA PUSHER"
05-09-2005, 05:20 PM
Yeah, man I've been to stacks, I just can't afford vinyl these days, I'd like to play out more but haven't had the time, I do spend alot of time working with my MC/producer friends working projects and pondering the hip hop philosophy, but sadly I've come to the conclusion that hip hop has bastardized itself and is no longer the universal medium/future of music that it could have been. Pushing 4 elements segregates the culture, and i've disowned the title of hiphoper. I could go on for hours about this stuff if anyones ever interested. But to the point, I don't know about the chip thing, I'm not sure if that technology was utilized during the production of our cars, I've only had a mercedes benz key cut and it was very similar to that of my ti in shape and complexity & i know the place cut bmw keys as well. Its A-1 lock & safe right off of the palomar airport rd. exit on I-5.

motorwerk
05-09-2005, 05:37 PM
Yeah, man I've been to stacks, I just can't afford vinyl these days, I'd like to play out more but haven't had the time, I do spend alot of time working with my MC/producer friends working projects and pondering the hip hop philosophy, but sadly I've come to the conclusion that hip hop has bastardized itself and is no longer the universal medium/future of music that it could have been. Pushing 4 elements segregates the culture, and i've disowned the title of hiphoper. I could go on for hours about this stuff if anyones ever interested. But to the point, I don't know about the chip thing, I'm not sure if that technology was utilized during the production of our cars, I've only had a mercedes benz key cut and it was very similar to that of my ti in shape and complexity & i know the place cut bmw keys as well. Its A-1 lock & safe right off of the palomar airport rd. exit on I-5.
Hey Media Pusher,
Thanks for the 411 bro...BTW, glad to see that we share the same philosophical idiosyncracies and cause/effect direction of hip-hop (not that I use the word hip-hop arbitrarily) but more of a long road travelled without a direction. I myself prefer the underground...keeping low and keeping real...Thanks again...motorwerk!

L84THSKY
05-09-2005, 05:52 PM
DO NOT BUY THOSE KEYS FROM THAT EBAY SELLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It won't work in our cars. I bought one from him, and found out the hard way. He will not take it back if it wasn't the right key for your car.

Hi Everybody,

Can anybody provide feedback or experience on keys (either aftermarket or OEM) on a 318ti? When I bought my ti, the owner only gave me one key and I need to get one for backup! I saw this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7973401509&category=40016&sspagename=WDVW

...which is a flip key for E36's...Anybody have any experiences on this? I kinda like the flip key for a second key. Also, would ANY key duplicating shop be able to copy, or do I need to go to a dealership? I've seen on the net from other people that dealerships won't 'touch' aftermarket keys...is this true for our cars?

Any feedback would be appreciated if you've had experience on this subject...Thanks again...motorwerk

motorwerk
05-09-2005, 06:05 PM
DO NOT BUY THOSE KEYS FROM THAT EBAY SELLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It won't work in our cars. I bought one from him, and found out the hard way. He will not take it back if it wasn't the right key for your car.
Thanks L84THSKY. I guess I got to stick with the OG Key (unless somebody has a 'creative way or writeup' of making our key work flip-stlye). Thanks for the 411 again...motorwerk

prd318ownr
05-12-2005, 07:26 AM
We have fellow dj's in here huh? Nice.. <--dj r h factor(universal scientist) along with dj rilla (living legends) dj motiv8( black eyed peas)..

I have lots of songs if anyone would like to hear..

On the actuall subject, I need a new key. I heard you can swap out the ignition and install a new one. I already re-did te ignition cause i got the patent 360 degree turn that everyone seems to get.

But yeah, it doesnt look that hard to do.

I installed a push start for now..

John Firestone
05-12-2005, 10:45 PM
I recently did an E36 key song and dance so I can tell you a little about keys.

Your car was assigned a total of ten keys. Four keys (keys 1-4) were issued to the original owner and the other six (keys 5-10) were warehoused. It appears the previous owner(s) have already lost at least three of your car's keys. :(

If you want, you can take your car and your remaining key(s) to a BMW dealer and they can disable the lost keys so that they can not start the car. Should any reappear, they can later reenable them.

You can buy replacement keys, lose keys and disable them until you have exhausted all ten that were assigned to the car. After that, you have to switch to a new set of ten, rekey the car (change the ignition, door, glove box and trunk locks) and replace the EWS-II module.

pdxmotorhead
05-13-2005, 12:13 AM
My 95 does not have smart keys... They are plain cut steel. - 95 Black Active that
I got post lease to a bank...

Dave

socal318ti
05-13-2005, 12:22 AM
I was just thinking about this yesterday. I only have one key for my car as well. Is the best option for me to just make a run to the BMW dealer and get another key made? Cost really doesn't matter. My Ti's a 97 and I'm the third owner.

John Firestone
05-13-2005, 04:33 AM
My 95 does not have smart keys... They are plain cut steel. - 95 Black Active thatAhhhh, I guess you have a U.S. 318ti built in early 1995. The U.S. was a year or two behind Europe in getting EWS-II and transponder chips in the cars and keys, which was just as well given the system's initial teething problems (too much teeth stopping the cars).

John Firestone
05-13-2005, 04:38 AM
I was just thinking about this yesterday. I only have one key for my car as well. Is the best option for me to just make a run to the BMW dealer and get another key made? Cost really doesn't matter. My Ti's a 97 and I'm the third owner.That may be your only option. I don't know of any source besides BMW who sells the matching transponder chip a key needs to start the car.

Dredder
05-14-2005, 04:59 AM
This is a pretty funny post. What a coincidence. I just went to a local lock smith thinking that I can copy my keys. I was 100% satisfied that my keys were not chipped. My 95 318ti did not come with EWS. Anyways, I went to this shop called ALVISTA and when the person told me it will not work I was kind of pissed. I ignored his advice and told him to cut the keys anyways. I was willing to pay for the material and labor. When the key was done it was perfect. It opens all my doors even turns the ignition power on. But he I started the car. Guess what? No go. I tried flipping the keys with no luck. To my surprise he was right. I called the BMW dealership and they told me that all of the 318ti keys (94 – 99) are equipped with a security chip. I was able to make it work by inserting my original keys then immediately replacing it with the copied keys. Well guys this is a lesson I had to personally experience. It costs me $25 to tell me I was wrong. If you want your keys copied go to the dealer spend that hard earned $45. Because at the end you know that key will guarantee to work.

pdxmotorhead
05-14-2005, 05:09 AM
Does your key have a thick or thin plastic part?
Mine is not much thicker than the metal,
My wifes has the little light in it.
Also is your key a laminated metal part or
1 piece, trying to figure out if there is any way to
tell if the key has a chip....

Dave

Dredder
05-14-2005, 05:20 AM
pdxmotorhead, what parts of portland are you from. I might be down at PIR tommorow. I was there last weekend but i didnt get a chance to run my car. I got a chance to see this 9sec. RX7 made by groundzero motorsports. Damn that was a quick car. Where is competition motorsports located. I want to run higher octane gas when im at the track. Do you guys sell them?
The top of my keys are a really thin. That was the reason i believe it was not chipped.

pdxmotorhead
05-14-2005, 09:59 AM
I'll be at our truck most likely. I live about 3 min from PIR.
We will be supporting the road race (In the Infield) and if the
rain god leaves we will be headed out to run a dirt car.
Competition Motorsports (the shop) is located on Williams
which is the street by the Shell next door to the ford dealer
on Broadway. We are about 6 blocks north where Pacific
used to be.

Yes we sell race gas. Sunoco 110 Leaded and 100 octane unleaded.
We can get GT104 and GT104 + or the more exotic stuff if you want it ordered.

Unless you've really pumped the car or are running a DASC/Mossleman
the 100 Unleaded is about all a M42 can use/needs.

Dave Taylor

Dredder
05-14-2005, 12:23 PM
No pacific just finished my m3 transplant. Will the added octane help the car run faster? Give me some input. Hope fully it doesnt rain later or else ill probably stay home babysitting.

John Firestone
05-14-2005, 01:54 PM
... To my surprise he was right. I called the BMW dealership and they told me that all of the 318ti keys (94 – 99) are equipped with a security chip. I was able to make it work by inserting my original keys then immediately replacing it with the copied keys....One thing you could try would be to break open a key, extract the transponder chip, and glue it in the vicinity of the ignition switch. This would defeat the EWS-II system and allow you to use a plain, steel key blank. I am not sure if I could recommend this, however, as the system has proven to be extremely effective in Germany where it was introduced to combat what had been a steady rise of cars being taken from their owners and "exported" to Eastern Europe. If you leave behind a chip, someone can also quickly unlock the car once they get the hood open.

aceyx
05-16-2005, 01:10 AM
given the space in a flip-style key, you could likely put the RFID transponder from the old key inside the new housing (since it will probably have a space for the same piece).

you can open up the lighted key and see the tag, it is in the left side of the key if the emblem is facing up, and the actual key part facing north.

dredder: you can just place the old key somewhere near the plastic housing surrounding the ignition, since the information is relayed through radio, not through the key itself.

motorwerk
05-16-2005, 01:35 AM
given the space in a flip-style key, you could likely put the RFID transponder from the old key inside the new housing (since it will probably have a space for the same piece).

you can open up the lighted key and see the tag, it is in the left side of the key if the emblem is facing up, and the actual key part facing north.

dredder: you can just place the old key somewhere near the plastic housing surrounding the ignition, since the information is relayed through radio, not through the key itself.
Has anyone tried to get a replacement key (from a dealership) and..by using a dremel, cut the key and hard-fit it onto a flip casing (since I need to get a 2nd key with a transponder, this is the only option for me)? Then, theoretically, I could take the transponder out of the old key housing and place it in a the flip housing...what do you guys think?...thanks...motorwerk

Dredder
05-16-2005, 07:07 AM
It will work but why go to all the trouble to save $20 dollars. Go to the dealer and you will save all the headaches later

John Firestone
05-16-2005, 09:45 AM
Ron Stygar wanted a more durable wallet key, so he extracted the transponder chip and carries it with a flat, steel key. I thought motorwerk wanted to do something more like that (create a more compact key, for example?) than try to save a little money.

aceyx
05-17-2005, 05:16 AM
motorwerk wants the flip style, as i read it.

if you get the lighted key ($34) you can just pop open the casing and extract the RFID module, and likely swap it with the flip style.

if it ever gets old, it's reversible.

motorwerk
05-17-2005, 03:22 PM
motorwerk wants the flip style, as i read it.

if you get the lighted key ($34) you can just pop open the casing and extract the RFID module, and likely swap it with the flip style.

if it ever gets old, it's reversible.
Aceyx is right...that's what I'm looking for (a flip style key). Ima try it out...thanks everybody for the 411 and the feedback...motorwerk

Sarafil
05-30-2005, 10:50 PM
For what it's worth, keep in mind that your dealer can not "cut" a key for your car. All of these keys are coming from BMW and have to be ordered.

Be happy that our cars come with pretty simple keys. Replacement remote master keys for one of my other cars (E46) cost $130+.

DGWGuitars
07-04-2005, 08:53 PM
I recently bought a '95 ti, which came with one key, and when it was in a local independent service shop, the key evidently "lost its mind", as in the onboard computer wouldn't recognize the key as being legit. Seeing as it was late in the afternoon on 7/1, it's been sitting at the shop until the mechanic can get a replacement. Needless to say, I'm going to get a spare. Being new to a ti (my last one was an '83 633 in the mid-80's - nice car but a money sink), I wasn't aware that the key had a chip, and am mildly surprised that such a "key element" could go south. Is this a common event?

John Firestone
07-04-2005, 11:02 PM
I remember seeing a service bulletin about some EWS II reliability issues on cars built in 1995. I don't recall what was supposed to be replaced. I can look for it if your mechanic can't find the bulletin.

DGWGuitars
07-05-2005, 03:57 AM
Thanks. I'm supposed to pick it up tomorrow and I'll ask him.

DGWGuitars
07-05-2005, 02:21 PM
John,

Talked with the mechanic and this was the first occurance of this that he's experienced. He's getting a message from the computer that it doesn't recognize the key. I'm ordering a new key from BMW today and they say that it's an overnight thing. If you can, I'd appreciate your looking for the bulletin, as the mechanic's not sure that the key will be the fix.

Thanks.

John Firestone
07-05-2005, 03:16 PM
Your mechanic might want to check BMW NA service information bulletin 61 12 96 "Electronic Immobilizer (EWS II) Malfunctions". It describes a couple engineering problems in cars built before December 1995 that could make a key stop working, and some parts to replace. Good luck!

DGWGuitars
07-05-2005, 03:56 PM
Thanks, John. I went to AllData and printed out their list of TSB's, etc.