PDA

View Full Version : Steering fluid leek......

KdCass
05-10-2005, 05:18 AM
98 117k

The hose going from the resevoir to the pump (i guess)
is all wet. However there seems to be a valve of sorts that the hose connects to that connects to the pump.

I'm going out on a limb, and I'm not very experieced working on cars. I was thinking i could replace just the valve/hose.

Also the manual says to refer to dealer just to check the fluid level! :_punch: Just b/c the cap is hard to get too...Because of this I dont know how to the the dipsitck, it had no markings. It did have three tiers, my level was in the ummm middle of the center one. Wich I think is good eh?

Oh yeah what kind of fluid if you guys know: DOT 3, 4 ?

96ti
05-18-2005, 03:39 AM
I guess you are having some noise when making sharp turns. I got the same prob before.
I just changed the hose and the resevoir about a month ago. If you can change the oil, you can do it easily. What you need to have in hand are a resevoir to pump-hose, 2 hose clamps, and Auto Transmition Fluid (I use Castrol ATF, which I bought from a BMW dealer nearby). I got the hose for $15 from Alleurasianautopart.com, and it's genuine BMW, compare that to Dealer's price (about $38 I think). The clamps can be bought from any hard ware store. First, raise you car and remember to suport it with jack stands, then get under the car. You would need a small plier to get rid of the old hose clamp. Then, take off both hoses from the resevoir to drain the system. You should have towles in hand, for the fluid may spread all over the place. When the system is drained, put back the returning hose (the smaller one), install your new Resevoir to pump hose, remember to use your new hose clamps. Fill the reservoir with ATF to the max (the first mark from the cap). To bleed the system, turn on the engine then turn the steering wheel all the way to the left, then right, repeat the process twice or 3 times. Check the fluid level after bleeding and refill it again if necessary. You will notice a big difference in turning, no more emberassing noise. Enjoy your work on the beloved ti.

KdCass
05-19-2005, 10:39 PM
Thank you so much for your informative reply 96 ti.

I haven't noticed any sounds, Just saw the leak while changing the oil.

joshydee
05-20-2005, 03:40 PM
im having the same problem with a little noise on full lock.... ill get that changed straight away... is there no multi purpose hose i can get from the stealer? or will i need that specific one? first visit to spares department the other day got 2 sidestrip clips for 1 (about $2) thought that was a result :):):) miles of smiles

KdCass
06-02-2005, 02:27 AM
Update

I simply cleaned up the hose and tighend the screw on the hose clamp 1.5 turns. It has been a week and still no fluid on the hose! I fixed it :biggrin: , well at least for a while :_paper:

-Dave