PDA

View Full Version : Please help motor swap question!!!

hsvbama318ti
05-10-2005, 05:34 PM
I am just about ready to get my m50tu swap underway but need to know if i can use the ti manual transmission? I also have a spec stage 3 clutch and a turner lightweight flywheel. Can i use some, all, or none of the parts? Thanks!!!

J!m
05-11-2005, 12:11 AM
The tranny will work- I'm using the stock ti tranny with my US S50B32, but with an M3 aluminum flywheel and stock M3 clutch, p-plate and slave cylinder.

The shifter linkage and mount will have to be modified as detailed in my swap manual to use the ti tranny. This mod may not be required if the M3 tranny is used, however the M3 driveshaft must be used with the M3 tranny, and the ti driveshaft is to be used with the ti tranny.

Dredder
05-11-2005, 12:44 AM
I just got my 95ti with 95m3 swap. You do not need to modify the shift linkage. I used the 318ti shift linkage, and tranmission. Other than the motor, power steering cable, air condition piping everything is pretty much 318ti parts.

J!m
05-11-2005, 01:22 PM
I just got my 95ti with 95m3 swap. You do not need to modify the shift linkage. I used the 318ti shift linkage, and tranmission. Other than the motor, power steering cable, air condition piping everything is pretty much 318ti parts.

I can only assume the linkage/mount mod was not required because you have the 3.0 motor? There was a significant location discrepancy in the ti shifter location and where it would have ended up if I did not modify these parts after the 3.2 was. I did and OBD-II swap, and have no experience with the OBD-I swap (although there is a great deal of information available for the OBD-I swap). The OBD-I swap is preferred because any 'shade tree mechanic' can acomplish it. I wanted to retain the factory look and also my driveaway protection feature, as I HATE noisy car alarms, so OBD-II was the only way for my car.

To all who are contemplating this swap:do what I did and do a ton of research. I spent six months collecting data before I turned a screw, and I have a great deal of engine swap experience. This is the only way it will go smoothly, and have the lowest total cost.

Dredder
05-11-2005, 02:35 PM
your manual also stated you needed to tow your car to the dealer so that they can sync the ews system. I bought your manual, i needed your help during my desicion making dont but you did not return my email. Whats up with that JIM.....you kinda left me in the gutter....:)

J!m
05-11-2005, 09:01 PM
That is correct. If you want to retain the EWS (driveaway protection) you must have the ECU and EWS alligned and only the dealer can acomplish this. If the alignment is not done, the EWS assumes the key is incorrect for the car, and will not allow it to start (AKA doing it's job). No independent garage will have the capability to do this allignment unless they have somehow 'aquired' the dealer computer system...

The EWS can be eliminated with minimal difficulty, but I would not suggest this, will not help you do it, nor did I do it on my car. Let's do it right, shall we?

As far as replying to your e-mail, I travel extensively for work and pleasure and cannot guarantee I will be available to everyomes beck and call. I always do my best to help, and if I missed your e-mail, I apologioze for that oversight. Try again if you need to, and I'll be happy to help any way I can.

Also since you have a '95 with '95 motor, there was no EWS on the OBD-I cars ('95 model year 3.0l) to deal with, so I don't understand why you asked the question at all. Plug and play, which is why most home grown mechanics, as well as many reputable garages, acomplish the swap this way. It's dead easy (a shop looks like the 'hero' when they don't need to involve the dealer). My manual is geared toward the '96 and up OBD-II cars, which have the driveaway protection option. My manual is useful in both cases, as the mechanical end of things is the same (as far as I know- this new 3.0 tranny linkage thing is news to me...).

I used all factory parts in my swap- no modified parts or aftermarket parts (Exceptions are: the light flywheel (just because); the modified shifter mount & linkage as noted, which would not be needed if the M3 tranny and driveshaft was used). I kept the motor and car of the same year, to minimize the compatibility problems. (no modification of the rad hoses for example)

Dredder
05-11-2005, 10:59 PM
that was the reason why i purchase your manual. To get as much information as possible. The manual referred that when there was questions to email you. My original plan was to install a 98 m3 engine on my 1995. It doesnt really matter now anyways.

back to the subject, If an independent has acess to GT1 bmw diagnostics it has the ability to sync the EWS. The dealer uses that same equipment for diagnostic.