PDA

View Full Version : Learning To Fiberglass

city
05-12-2005, 02:25 PM
Ok,
So I got a good deal on some learn to fiberglass dvd's so Im taking them off my friends hands, he said the videos are really informative and easy to follow. From seeing his work i'd take his word for it. Thing is I have always been intimidated by actually learning because I didn't think I would be able to do it, he says it alot easier than it looks and you can make crazy money because materials are cheap and demand for custom jobs are always high. My plans are just to work at it for a while and then go buck wild on the interior of my car and do up some kick panels etc etc.. I just wanted to get a little feedback from anyone learning or knows how to fiberglass. How hard do you think this skill is to learn? How hard is it to make round corners etc? And any other tips/tricks/hints etc that you could give me to get started on the right foot would be greatly helpful as I am an 18 year old with alot of motivation and the will to learn.

L84THSKY
05-12-2005, 03:24 PM
Glad to see you are full of motivation. You are starting at a good age. My question.....why learn fiberglassing? You would do much better learning mechanical work, such as engine, brakes and suspension. That is where you will save money on repairs, and make money helping others.

Just my opinion............ :biggrin:

Ok,
So I got a good deal on some learn to fiberglass dvd's so Im taking them off my friends hands, he said the videos are really informative and easy to follow. From seeing his work i'd take his word for it. Thing is I have always been intimidated by actually learning because I didn't think I would be able to do it, he says it alot easier than it looks and you can make crazy money because materials are cheap and demand for custom jobs are always high. My plans are just to work at it for a while and then go buck wild on the interior of my car and do up some kick panels etc etc.. I just wanted to get a little feedback from anyone learning or knows how to fiberglass. How hard do you think this skill is to learn? How hard is it to make round corners etc? And any other tips/tricks/hints etc that you could give me to get started on the right foot would be greatly helpful as I am an 18 year old with alot of motivation and the will to learn.

city
05-12-2005, 03:41 PM
Glad to see you are full of motivation. You are starting at a good age. My question.....why learn fiberglassing? You would do much better learning mechanical work, such as engine, brakes and suspension. That is where you will save money on repairs, and make money helping others.

Just my opinion............ :biggrin:

In time my friend, in time :biggrin:
I have high hopes its just mainly a matter of time. I work on little engine projects with a friend of mine who is a ridiculous mechanic and he is only 16!!! I can't believe this kid, he is rebuilding an old Mustang and has it bagged. He is going to go to school to become a Porche mech. So whenever I ask him for help he likes to have me go over and not do it for me but have me do it with his supervising skills haha. Just being on this forum in the first place has helped me learn a TON of stuff about my car even before I was a offical member of the site, I always used it as a guide. I am undertaking alot of things at the moment too, being mech handy is something I want on the side but my dreams are to be a fashion designer and graphic artist which I will be going to school for. Kind of a clash in hobbies but hey its good to be diverse.

DustenT
05-12-2005, 04:27 PM
I do carbon fiber and fiberglass work all the time. I can answer any questions you have. If you are going to get serious about it, you might want to look into a vaccum bagger setup. It allows you to mold glass or carbon to whatever shape you want, plus it sucks out any extra resin. I also have a good friend that is a carbon/glass wholesaler. I can get you ANY KIND of material. He has different colors and sizes. Let me know if I can be of assistance.

city
05-12-2005, 05:19 PM
How much is a vaccum bagger setup and where can they be purchased? Also, how easy are they to operate and how moveable are they, since I am planning on moving into an apartment soon to attend school. Thanks for the help:)

96cali
05-12-2005, 05:29 PM
I have only used it for house projects and such but don't be a cowboy about protecting your lungs, eyes, hands , etc. Especially if you have aspirations of graphic/fashion design. It's a good habit and you'll thank yourself in 20 years. BTW I'm an industrial designer- where do you want to go to school?

DustenT
05-12-2005, 05:35 PM
How much is a vaccum bagger setup and where can they be purchased? Also, how easy are they to operate and how moveable are they, since I am planning on moving into an apartment soon to attend school. Thanks for the help:)

http://composite.about.com/od/aboutcompositesplastics/l/aa000109.htm

http://www.tapeease.com/vacuum_bags.htm

You will have to do some research on this stuff. I don't use a bagger, never have, but I hear they work good. Usually the stuff I make I like to "massage into place" with my hands. My suggestion is to just try it, see if you like it, then go from there.

city
05-13-2005, 03:31 PM
Dusten, Good looking out. I need to go pick up the dvd's and start reading up alot and getting alittle bg info before I dive into this :_paper: . I do have your email so i'll let you know if I have trouble or questions.
Thanks again.

Carstereopro
05-14-2005, 05:20 AM
I build stuff all the time with Fiberglass.

My only advice, PRACTICE!

the more you practice, the better you'll get at it.

city
05-15-2005, 07:11 PM
UPDATE**
I've watched the videos many times already and Im trying to memorize the steps involved. Its alot easier than I was thinking earlier. Seems like an art project you would create in school, within the next week or so I am going to gather all the materials I need and attempt my first project. I will post pics if anyone is interested. Hopefully within a few weeks I can have a set of custom kickpanels. Wish me luck!:)

city
05-17-2005, 10:12 PM
So today, I finished getting all the materials I needed to get on with my first project. All I wanted to do was mold my gauge pod to my driver's side pillar, and within about 3 hours I was done. Im pretty proud of it being my first attempt, I didnt paint piece obviously because im a newbie and their were a few minor blemishes that the paint would make stand out. Instead I used some left over headliner fabric and redid both pillars to make the job look more factory*ish. What do you guys think??

MEDIA PUSHER"
05-17-2005, 10:26 PM
looks real clean from here city