PDA

View Full Version : Mods you have manufactured yourself

TiredTi
05-12-2005, 06:22 PM
jcarp’s 318ti-to-M3 track car pics were so impressive, that they led to to wonder who else has been manufacturing their own mods for their cars. I would be interested in seeing pics of stuff that you have made for your cars.

To get things started, I have posted a couple of the things I have made below:

I was concerned about reinforcing the rear sway-bar mounts. Sooo, I fabricated some reinforcement brackets, and used RivNuts (Nutserts) to fasten them. Check out the photos if you are interested. I will let you know how these reinforcement brackets stand the test of time (and a few driving schools.)

To measure the toe-in, I used a toe-in gauge that I made last year. Works great. Photos also linked below.

www.appliedkinetics.ca\1-RrSwayMtOrig.JPG
www.appliedkinetics.ca\2-RrSwayMtReinforce.JPG
www.appliedkinetics.ca\3-RrSwayMtRivNut.JPG
www.appliedkinetics.ca\4a-RrSwayMtReinforceInst.JPG
www.appliedkinetics.ca\4b-RrSwayMtReinforceInst.JPG
www.appliedkinetics.ca\5-RrSwayMtDone.JPG
www.appliedkinetics.ca\6a-ToeTool.JPG
www.appliedkinetics.ca\6b-ToeTool.JPG
www.appliedkinetics.ca\6c-ToeTool.JPG

Steven

schussey
05-12-2005, 08:00 PM
i haven't really fabricated anything, but have done a few DIY mods:

- painted my front grille black
- installed suede fabric in the headliner/A Pillars

-chris

cali-ti
05-12-2005, 10:58 PM
schussey, what paint did you use to blackout your kidneys? i'm interested in doing the same (not going to spend $80+ to cover them up).

AlaskaBlue
05-12-2005, 11:11 PM
I have made a fogged style airbox, and I have taken out and put back in my interior.

needle332rur
05-12-2005, 11:30 PM
schussey, what paint did you use to blackout your kidneys? i'm interested in doing the same (not going to spend $80+ to cover them up).

use napa auto parts "trim Black" it the perfect color

schussey
05-13-2005, 12:28 AM

I just used a flat black spraypaint, like $3 from wal mart.

Also, if you can find out, check out "Chalkboard Paint." A buddy of mine just used this to black out the grills on his ZHP, and it looks really sleek.

Just be sure to use any flat black, glossy paint doesn't really match up to the trim as much.

Another thing to take into consideration, is to be prepared to respray the grills every few months. They chip easy!

-chris

cali-ti
05-13-2005, 12:53 AM
needle, how does the napa trim paint last? does it weather stones, etc? be nice if the stuff lasted, but considering the rest of my car is stone chipped after 207k, i guess it wouldn't be that big a deal :p

m44ic
05-13-2005, 01:45 AM
ok here is the list of stuff I have fabbed for my car you can see pics of it all on my cardomain link below

-strut bar
-cold air intake and heat shield
-solid transmission mounts
-clutch stop
-battery box
-shift knob
-sub box
-amp rack
-blue window switches and HVAC

and I think thats about it.

DaNO
05-13-2005, 02:25 AM
I put a seat cover on, then i took it off. it didnt look good.

mickd
05-13-2005, 03:10 AM
DaNO, Good one..............I nearly fell off my chair

m44ic
05-13-2005, 03:14 AM
DaNO, Good one..............I nearly fell off my chair

ohh, good its a joke I was worried for a second

mickd
05-13-2005, 03:29 AM
m44ic......not sure.......hope so

cali-ti
05-13-2005, 03:31 AM
maybe DaNo MADE the seat cover ... ;)

i made some ABS sensor shims! lol ...

m44ic
05-13-2005, 03:33 AM
[QUOTE=cali-ti]maybe DaNo MADE the seat cover ... ;)

yeah and my favorite car is the honda civic, lol j/k

GDB
05-13-2005, 03:45 AM
I made an airbox and a shift boot. And to anyone thinking about making a shift boot, DON'T. It came out nice on my 135th try.

2ndBimmer
05-13-2005, 04:41 AM
I redid my hatch cover to fit four 6x9 speakers. That was fun. Had a friend who does professional apholstry slap a layer of new fabric on top. Looks pretty good.

bimmerboi318
05-14-2005, 12:09 AM
I lowered my car about an inch in the rear before I upgraded my springs. It's amazing how repeatedly carrying bass guitars, full stack amps, and mechanic toolboxes sags the rear springs :rolleyes:

Oh and I forgot the thousands of hail dents over the entire body. They produce that "golf ball" effect at high speeds. Honestly, if I hear that one more time I'll go crazy :_punch:

durnadupa
05-14-2005, 01:02 AM
Umm the the crushed bumper and hood that I did myself? It was the easiest DIY ever!

cali-ti
05-14-2005, 01:14 AM
oh yeah .... that reminds me of the driver's side mirror delete i did (with the help of deer #2).

schussey
05-14-2005, 01:17 AM
oh yeah .... that reminds me of the driver's side mirror delete i did (with the help of deer #2).

I did that too, except it was an 18-wheeler who assisted me in the modification.....still not repaired because I am lazy

-chris

cali-ti
05-14-2005, 01:20 AM
i'm up to about a year and a half (nov '03) schussey ... you? will finally be fixed soon when i get the m3 style mirrors from Panzer_M (due to his crash :( ).

schussey
05-14-2005, 01:35 AM
lets see......It was smashed off on the first day of my spring break, sooooo I'm at a few months, 3 months max. I have the part, but I think my mirrors are heated, and I bought a non-heated. :(

-chris

John Firestone
05-14-2005, 03:03 PM
I have added a tolerable few electronically-controlled creature comforts, most of which I think I have listed earlier, and designed, built and programmed the microcontrollers to realize them.

I am currently adding puddle lights, and an electrical trunk release so that I can pop the trunk lid from the center console or by remote control. I am debating whether I should get some stronger springs to lift the lid fully open.

Which reminds me, I should hop over to the building supply store before everything shuts down until Tuesday, and see about some adhesive to glue mirror glass to clear plastic.