PDA

View Full Version : m50 spec questions

needle332rur
05-12-2005, 11:19 PM
I am looking at a 94 vanos m50 to swap into my Ti, it has 75k no oil leaks.

but...from a automatic, i'm getting a standard throttle body and flywheel. is there any other big differences such as wiring harness and vacum lines or will a 5 speed throttle body, flywheel, and cumputer work.

Dredder
05-12-2005, 11:33 PM
what year is your TI

needle332rur
05-12-2005, 11:37 PM
my car is obo1 it's a 95 engines a 94.

Dredder
05-13-2005, 12:09 AM
For a minimum setup you'll will need a motor with accessories(alt.,power steering pump,a/c if wanted), wiring harness, and ecu, power steering pipe (connect from pump to power steering cylinder), upper radiator hose, if you have stock exhaust need to be modified to free flowing(dont want to much back pressure), custom exhaust(m50 headers to TI catalytic(if option if kept)).

needle332rur
05-13-2005, 12:17 AM
For a minimum setup you'll will need a motor with accessories(alt.,power steering pump,a/c if wanted), wiring harness, and ecu, power steering pipe (connect from pump to power steering cylinder), upper radiator hose, if you have stock exhaust need to be modified to free flowing(dont want to much back pressure), custom exhaust(m50 headers to TI catalytic(if option if kept)).

o yea i know all that and have most the parts i just need to know if that motor will work although it's a AUTO.

Panzer_M
05-13-2005, 12:21 AM
I was looking at a m50

Dredder
05-13-2005, 12:24 AM
i believe the only difference between the manual and auto is the tranny. I'd have to check the the TIS for that. But to give you an insight, my engine came from auto m3 coupe.

needle332rur
05-13-2005, 12:28 AM
i believe the only difference between the manual and auto is the tranny. I'd have to check the the TIS for that. But to give you an insight, my engine came from auto m3 coupe.

thanks so much

i'll keep you guess posted on the cheapest 6 cly TI build

needle332rur
05-17-2005, 04:16 AM
Putting a deposit on the motor and some small stuff sometime this week. Do the swap mid summer.

have some pics soon :biggrin:

Dredder
05-17-2005, 06:55 AM
Let me know when you get started. I'll totally donate any pictures for your convience. S50 vs M50 shouldnt be that much of a difference. Arent you tired of all these honda/acura swaps. Once you have that worked out. You have a better foundation if you plan on force induction for future upgrade. How much did you get the engine for? I remember reading a thread where someone bought a motor for $90. Thats unbelievable.

needle332rur
05-19-2005, 03:49 AM
Let me know when you get started. I'll totally donate any pictures for your convience. S50 vs M50 shouldnt be that much of a difference. Arent you tired of all these honda/acura swaps. Once you have that worked out. You have a better foundation if you plan on force induction for future upgrade. How much did you get the engine for? I remember reading a thread where someone bought a motor for $90. Thats unbelievable.

I bought the motor w/ almost every thing i need for 700. I only need a right side mount (aluminium part) a computer and a few hoses and stuff. so if anyone has friend of has this stuff themselves let me know. If you could send me over some pics of the wiring or anything you had difficulty with that would be great.

my email is bmwkompact@yahoo.com

by the way is your swap a 95 or 96 up (obo1 or 2)?

-Nate-

Dredder
05-19-2005, 04:41 AM
Mine is Odb1 - Obd1. there are two wires that need to be swap in the fuse box - DME connection. Check the haynes manual. I dont know if its different on 325. Dont turn the car on unless you stick the diagnostic check to make sure everything is wired in properly.

needle332rur
05-24-2005, 04:53 AM
So i got the engine and started to check all the wiring on the motor. End up that the guy gave me a non vanos wiring harness to put on a vanos motor. I really don't know if he knew or not but it sucks. Now i have to spend another 150 on a harness. But this is what happens with projects right. so as soon as i get the harness im doubles checking everything and poping it in.

Dredder
05-24-2005, 07:29 AM
Damn you move quick...Congrats. I was going to advice you to change the Oil pan gasket before you install the motor. Most common seepages from an older 6cyl are in that area. Since I know you’re not going to be satisfied with the 325 performance, why not get the oil pan tap for turbo for later upgrade. It will save you the hassle in trying to remove the pan in a later date.

needle332rur
05-25-2005, 04:27 AM
Damn you move quick...Congrats. I was going to advice you to change the Oil pan gasket before you install the motor. Most common seepages from an older 6cyl are in that area. Since I know you’re not going to be satisfied with the 325 performance, why not get the oil pan tap for turbo for later upgrade. It will save you the hassle in trying to remove the pan in a later date.

I'm proving none M power, Im taking a m50 and getting my head ported and flowed. Then M3 cams and headers, my friend made 215 on the dyno w/ his 95 m3. My goal is 200 whp by next summer. 200whp in a ti would kill 215 in a m3.

Turbos do attract me for some reason tho..... :rolleyes:

Dredder
05-25-2005, 06:59 AM
Absolutely. I've had my share of m3 trying to run against me. At the end they were very surprised that I was able to pull of them on all 5 gears. If you decide to swap differential, try to get something close 3.15 to 3.45. Stock M3 and 318ti Tranny have very similar gear ratio. So by leaving our differential at higher gear its like having a supercharger. Plus weight/power ratio are in our favor.