PDA

View Full Version : How Often Should I Change?

Mothman
05-13-2005, 06:25 PM
Does anyone know where I can find out how often I should change certain parts, (i.e. fuse, hose, filters, plugs, wires, etc...)

I really hate not knowing what it takes to keep my car running. :no: I feel so stupid when someone ask me about my car.

Does anyone know of a Web site or a good Ti book to learn how to replace/repair parts for my car?

Thanks you guys are so awesome!
Mothman

m44ic
05-13-2005, 07:35 PM
tranny flush every 30k
spark plugs every 40-50k
O2 sensors every 90k
fuel filter every 30k
oil filter with every oil change every 3k
air filter, get a K&N and clean it every once in a while

cali-ti
05-13-2005, 07:44 PM
btw, the bentley manual covers what items are checked/replaced/adjusted during the inspections/oil service indicated by your car (the green/yellow/red lights in the guage cluster) as well as procedures for doing most service. i think it was like $40-50 well spent.

btw, i think bosch recommended O2 sensors like every 30-40k on their website ... of course, they make the sensors ... but they indicated that the fuel savings from running with more accurate sensor would more than pay for the cost of the sensor(s).

Mothman
05-13-2005, 11:39 PM
Thanks!!! I have alot to change then (grrr)
Thanks for letting me know! you guys rock!

usagi
05-16-2005, 04:27 PM
I didn't know that about the O2 sensor. Around how much is it to change the sensors (2), labor and parts?

Mothman
05-16-2005, 08:57 PM
I didn't know that about the O2 sensor. Around how much is it to change the sensors (2), labor and parts?

The parts are not the high, depends where you buy it, and it only takes less than five minutes to change it out. I dealer or repair shop you will charge you between $40-100 just for labor. The parts will cost about $70-$80 for both (if you have two).

Mothman
05-16-2005, 09:00 PM
Does anyone know of a site that has a picture of of where everything is under the hood? I am looking to change my fuel filter and I have no idea where it is.

cali-ti
05-16-2005, 09:11 PM
mothman, i have NEVER seen our O2 sensors for that cheap. usually, they are about $70-80 EACH, not for both. if you've found a source for that cheap though, please share :)

the fuel filter is underneath the car, driver's side. www.realoem.com/bmw (plug in the last 7 digits of your VIN) has diagrams. believe that was in fuel delivery or fuel prep ...

Mothman
05-16-2005, 09:18 PM
Partsamerica.com; they have some good prices on some parts and on other freak'n to high. You have to pick and choose. I got the O2 at a mom and pop's auto shop in Escondido. (heheheh I was stoping to ask for directions.)

Mothman
05-16-2005, 09:19 PM
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!