View Full Version : upgrading rear speakers HELP

mischief
05-16-2005, 08:46 PM
what you be best a
2-way speaker
or
1-way crossover speakers
and
what is the biggest size speaker i can fit in the rear.

m44ic
05-16-2005, 08:54 PM
what you be best a
2-way speaker
or
1-way crossover speakers
and
what is the biggest size speaker i can fit in the rear.

the rears are 5 1/4, I have 2-ways in the rear and 6.5 components up front and I have it faded to the front and it sounds great. the sound guy said that even in his own car he has stock rear speakers and the sound is generally better when its louder up front.

cali-ti
05-16-2005, 09:47 PM
well, if you want the image to be coming from the front, the fronts would need to be louder. i've never heard car audio get anywhere close to listening in the home (the acoustic space is way too messed up). this is why audio will be one of the last things i do to my car. i'd rather put money into my home audio setup first since the environment is more "audio friendly." i can certainly understand those who mod their car though. it WILL sound a lot better than stock and if you spend a significant amount of time in the car like many of us do, it's worth the cost to have better sound. i was contemplating adding more sound deadening material to mine when/if i get to it just to reduce road noise. the cali top adds a significant amount of noise though. <sigh> too much to spend money on ...

i believe my rears have separate tweets so you could certainly go with components back there if yours does too. as m44ic pointed out, the fronts will be more critical. pretty much as he and his sound man said, you just don't want the rears to detract from the fronts and mess up the sound/imaging (if there is such a thing in a car). i'd like to move the tweets up front into the triangular area opposite the outside rearview mirrors and then aim them at the opposite side to attempt to balance out the highs (left is aimed at passenger so less direct to the driver's left ear and right is aimed at the driver so it's more direct to the driver's right ear). how do you have it config'd m44ic? what locations did you use for the 6.5 components up front?

m44ic
05-17-2005, 02:00 AM
up front I have the 6.5 woofer in the stock location by your feet and then my car came with the premium sound package so it had two tweeters in each of the doors but the ones that came with my components I mounted in the top tweeter space which is near the top of the door panal but I am going to move them to the middle because those beehoches are loud. when I pulled out the rears they were weird they were all in the same plastic housing but the woofer and tweeter were seperate. But as far as my setup goes it sounds amazing (it better for 3k) the sound clarity and definition are great with the components. recommendations, I dont know if you already have front speakers but Focals components are amazing(and expensive) and boston acoustics are good too, I went with Memphis all around because they sound great and they bump, with just my front components on a 75x2 RMS amp and the rears off the headunit when people get in they ask what kind of sub I have and I say, I dont, yet. Another thing about memphis is they are impossible to blow, the guy were I bought it all at said he has gotten his components and woofers to smoke but he has never been able to blow them, even in SPL competitions. If you want to take a look at my setup you can look at it on my cardomain link below.

BTW, mischief your car is a beast

mischief
05-17-2005, 03:09 AM
what is RMS
and can i hook up a small amp the a 6.5 woofer

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mischiefteck

m44ic
05-17-2005, 03:28 AM
what is RMS
and can i hook up a small amp the a 6.5 woofer

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mischiefteck

RMS stands for, roots mean square. which basically means continous watts per channel, RMS is used to measure the wattage of car audio electronics, but most headunits are measured at peak wattage which doesnt make any sense to me but thats a hole other story. So for instance my 75x2 RMS watt amp makes that power continuously but usually makes double what the RMS wattage is at peak power. and yes you can hook an amp up to 6.5 component speakers if, you your components are beastly and draw a lot of power. for instance my memphis 6.5 components are rated at 300watts RMS total, and my headunit is 200watts at peak power, to get the full potential out of the components requires more power which is why I have them amped, if I were to just hook them up to the headunit they would just sound like any other speaker and I would be pissed that I spent $300 on them.

2ndBimmer
05-17-2005, 03:39 AM
I think improving the sound in your car/my car is very important, especially when stuck in traffic, alot of time gets spent there.

As to the speaker size... I have (had) the 10 speaker component setup which is fairly common. The rear woofers are 4" and the tweekers are 1". The woofers have a strange twist lock bracket to hold them in at an angle. I dont know if something straight from Crutchfield's catalog would fit right away.

As to sound imaging, a car isnt gonna be perfect but if you move the balances to where your biggest power is, and do so proportionally, it should sound fine.

mischief
05-18-2005, 03:38 AM
RMS stands for, roots mean square. which basically means continous watts per channel, RMS is used to measure the wattage of car audio electronics, but most headunits are measured at peak wattage which doesnt make any sense to me but thats a hole other story. So for instance my 75x2 RMS watt amp makes that power continuously but usually makes double what the RMS wattage is at peak power. and yes you can hook an amp up to 6.5 component speakers if, you your components are beastly and draw a lot of power. for instance my memphis 6.5 components are rated at 300watts RMS total, and my headunit is 200watts at peak power, to get the full potential out of the components requires more power which is why I have them amped, if I were to just hook them up to the headunit they would just sound like any other speaker and I would be pissed that I spent $300 on them.

is this what you have in your car
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32819&item=5775325052&rd=1

m44ic
05-18-2005, 03:43 AM
is this what you have in your car
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32819&item=5775325052&rd=1

yup thats what I have, you wont be dissapointed, they pound

cali-ti
05-18-2005, 04:09 AM
As to sound imaging, a car isnt gonna be perfect but if you move the balances to where your biggest power is, and do so proportionally, it should sound fine.

exactly ... "fine" ... nowhere near as good as my home hi-fi. with the size of the new mac mini, i was contemplating installing one with a small lcd so that i could use itunes to output to an amp ... use wireless network to sync up with my itunes database when i pull into the garage ... besides watching dvds. there are projects underway to provide easier interfaces into all that, would be sweet :) i've still got an older full class a soundstream amp that i would like to utilize ... wish i could find another one actually ...

mischief
05-18-2005, 10:24 PM
yup thats what I have, you wont be dissapointed, they pound
on ebay its says it has a 300 RMS

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5775325052&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

but on memphis it says 50 RMS
http://www.memphiscaraudio.com/products/details.asp?cat=&id=9&p=2

Specification Summary
Size (in) 6.5
RMS/Peak (W) 50/100
Sensitivity (dB) 88
Magnet Size (Oz) 12.6
Mounting Depth (in) 2.6

m44ic
05-19-2005, 01:00 AM
on ebay its says it has a 300 RMS

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5775325052&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

but on memphis it says 50 RMS
http://www.memphiscaraudio.com/products/details.asp?cat=&id=9&p=2

Specification Summary
Size (in) 6.5
RMS/Peak (W) 50/100
Sensitivity (dB) 88
Magnet Size (Oz) 12.6
Mounting Depth (in) 2.6

ok I went and found the box for my components and 300watts is max power and 50watts RMS per component(woofer and tweeter) so together they are like 100watts RMS, The amp I use to power mine is the memphis M-class 75X2 RMS watts 2-channel amp.

mischief
12-19-2005, 10:32 AM
dose a lower Sensitivity mean better bass

cali-ti
12-19-2005, 04:23 PM
lower sensitivity means more power to get the same db of volume.

mischief
12-21-2005, 07:35 AM
thanks