PDA

View Full Version : DASC and OEM clutch

quillbro
05-17-2005, 07:48 AM
I am buying one soon and was wondering what kind of clutch I should buy. I was told an Oem m3 clutch and flywheel would work great. anyone know how much this option costs and if there is a better value option?

nick_hegel
05-17-2005, 12:58 PM
I am buying one soon and was wondering what kind of clutch I should buy. I was told an Oem m3 clutch and flywheel would work great. anyone know how much this option costs and if there is a better value option?

I have heard that this is the best cost effective way to go. Look for eBay auctions for the parts!!

DustenT
05-17-2005, 02:22 PM
Ok, you have lots of options. The BEST option is the UUC stage 2 flywheel with e34 m5 clutch from www.understeer.com. Talk to Chris, sometimes he will knock the price down a bit. He is on this site from time to time. Price: $1,000.

I choose the non-twin mass OEM flywheel from an e30 318. It weights about 7lbs. less then the stock flywheel, and it was only $250 thru the dealer. I got the clutch from pelicanparts.com. This setup works good with the DASC, so far. IMO the stock setup will hold, unless you plan on doing clutch kick around every corner. Your results may vary.

Good choice on going with the DASC. You won't be disappointed!

quillbro
05-17-2005, 03:46 PM
Ok, you have lots of options. The BEST option is the UUC stage 2 flywheel with e34 m5 clutch from www.understeer.com. Talk to Chris, sometimes he will knock the price down a bit. He is on this site from time to time. Price: $1,000.

I choose the non-twin mass OEM flywheel from an e30 318. It weights about 7lbs. less then the stock flywheel, and it was only $250 thru the dealer. I got the clutch from pelicanparts.com. This setup works good with the DASC, so far. IMO the stock setup will hold, unless you plan on doing clutch kick around every corner. Your results may vary.

Good choice on going with the DASC. You won't be disappointed!

7lbs would be nice but my clutch is even slipping sometimes (minor) and so i would think it would go with the extra torque. So I dont want something that will only last a few thousand miles. I was told the m3 clutch will take up to 350 hp

GDB
05-17-2005, 05:57 PM
I'm currently running an OEM M3 clutch and flywheel. I like the idea of a lightweight flywheel but I picked up the OEM M3 flywheel for $40 shipped. Definately a good deal IMO.

DustenT
05-17-2005, 06:47 PM
7lbs would be nice but my clutch is even slipping sometimes (minor) and so i would think it would go with the extra torque. So I dont want something that will only last a few thousand miles. I was told the m3 clutch will take up to 350 hp

Unless you are planning on running 350hp, I don't see a need for it (unless, like posted above, it is dirt cheap.) I would think your clutch is completely shot if you have slip with the stock ~130 hp. The flywheel and setup that I have works fine with NO slipping using the DASC. Now, maybe that is because it is new, but it seems to be getting more grip as it breaks in. The m3 flywheel is lighter, but the clutch assembly weights more, making it about the same weight if not heavier than a stock setup. If you are going to replace the clutch, why not get some quicker revs out of the deal by installing a lighter flywheel?

If anyone is interested in my setup I can post part numbers. All parts are available thru the dealer for the same price as a stock replacement.

quillbro
05-17-2005, 07:24 PM
Unless you are planning on running 350hp, I don't see a need for it (unless, like posted above, it is dirt cheap.) I would think your clutch is completely shot if you have slip with the stock ~130 hp. The flywheel and setup that I have works fine with NO slipping using the DASC. Now, maybe that is because it is new, but it seems to be getting more grip as it breaks in. The m3 flywheel is lighter, but the clutch assembly weights more, making it about the same weight if not heavier than a stock setup. If you are going to replace the clutch, why not get some quicker revs out of the deal by installing a lighter flywheel?

If anyone is interested in my setup I can post part numbers. All parts are available thru the dealer for the same price as a stock replacement.

sure post up.

but the m3 clutch and flywheel would way more than your steup and then be slower? or would it just be a longer engage time?

DustenT
05-17-2005, 07:38 PM
sure post up.

but the m3 clutch and flywheel would way more than your steup and then be slower? or would it just be a longer engage time?

Yes the m3 setup will weight more than my setup. There is always some trade off. I got mine cheap and lighter with no increase in holding strenght (that I know of).

FLYWHEEL part #: 11-22-1-739-315 (I paid ~$250 for a new one from the dealer)

CLUTCH part #: 21-21-1-223-570 (don't remember cost, cheap)

Hope this helps.

m44ic
05-17-2005, 08:42 PM
Also SPEC makes great clutches but I have heard bad things about their flywheels. they are cheap too, just get your oem flywheel resurfaced and go with the stage 2 kit.

Budget M3
05-22-2005, 07:53 AM
Ok, you have lots of options. The BEST option is the UUC stage 2 flywheel with e34 m5 clutch from www.understeer.com.

I put the UUC flywheel and clutch in my '98 DASC'd ti. Although the M5 clutch is a bit of overkill, the entire setup is smooth and much quieter than others I've heard (very little rattling...and then only occasionally when idling in neutral). I bought mine directly from UUC...