PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Care?

jonny116
05-17-2005, 08:55 AM
Exhaust and the CAT went yesterday! £400 to get fixed. thats what $700 or so. Was just wondering is anything you can get to take care of your exhaust? Id rather it didnt go again I know you can get wax spray to take care of the underside of your car but will just melt on an exhaust!

If its any help it was the origional that went and its a 1996 model!!!! Thought that was quite good.

socal318ti
05-17-2005, 12:16 PM
What happened to make it go? Did it explode or something?

cali-ti
05-17-2005, 12:19 PM
usually they go from moisture buildup from many short trips. mine finally started rusting through in spots after 200k and i live in a state that salts the roads quite heavily during winter.

socal318ti
05-17-2005, 05:18 PM
Ahh. I see now. Here in San Diego, the most it ever does it rain and thats not all that often. I would have to say just make sure you keep the area around your exhaust clean. Rinse with some fresh water every now and then to get any such corrosive elements out of there.

GDB
05-17-2005, 05:59 PM
Well cats just go after a while. As for the rest of the exhaust, like socal said, just wach your undercarriage off once in a while to help keep it from rusting.

jonny116
05-18-2005, 12:47 PM
garage said the cat just blew n snaped the rusted exhaust bit off so the whole thing went. made a right racket!!! - was a bit suprised only because the interior looks brand new - only ever had one owner so no one has sat on other seats, and the engine is spotless. never actually looked underneith properly!

cali-ti
05-18-2005, 01:03 PM
keep in mind, the moisture i was referring to is a natural byproduct of combustion engines, not the external environment. short trips don't allow everything to heat up and dry out in the exhaust system. i've almost always had jobs a good distance from where i live and have a lot of highway miles which gets things up to temp well. if you make lots of short trips, it never gets the chance to do that.