PDA

View Full Version : Brake options for 6cyl TI?

Dredder
05-18-2005, 07:42 AM
Ok guys I know this subject have been covered before but I’m still unclear. I’m in the process of upgrading my brake setup. I had just purchase a set of rear brake setup from 2001 M-Roadster, rear caliper, carrier, vented rotors, and brake pads. Is this a bolt on process? Am I missing any parts?

For the front setup, what are my options? I also want something as a pure bolt on process.
My goal is to have an M3 full brake setup? Is this possible? What exactly do I need for parts? Please provide all parts required for this setup

As an alternative:
E46 32X front caliper, carrier, vented rotors, brake pads

cali-ti
05-18-2005, 11:51 AM
ok ... i've been trying to sort all this out myself as i've read along. here is MY UNDERSTANDING of the situation:

rear brakes: stock or replace (at a minimum) trailing arms (need hubs) and brakes from m-coupe/mz3. J!m and others would tell you to just replace the whole rear subframe if at all possible. you'll also need to rework the parking brakes from the m-coupe/mz3.

front: much easier to get the m3 setup onto the front. need the m3 spindles, calipers and carriers. believe it was also recommended to get the master and slave cylinders.

one question i still had regarded brake biasing. i would think if you had m-coupe rear and m3 front, the closest thing to front/rear weight ratio to our car would be the m-coupe/mz3. what actually provides the brake biasing in the system? whatever the answer to that question is, i would try to get from the m-coupe/mz3 and use in the ti (if fitment allows it).

these are my thoughts and understanding of it all. hopefully others make comment.

Dredder
05-18-2005, 12:46 PM
Would it be easier for me to just go with E46 32X setup front and rear. Is this option a complete bolt on or do I need modify something for it to fit. I really want the Beefier look of a Vented Rotor setup. If my 2001 Mroadster caliper/carrier,rotor,pads is not a direct bolt on then I'll probably end up selling them. If anybody want them let me know. Best offer takes it. Ill take the lose for it eventually. I'll take pictures if someone is interested.

cali-ti
05-18-2005, 12:55 PM
well, take a good look at it and see if it'll work. from what i've read, it won't, but it's worth taking a look. again, from what i understand, the e46 32x setup also will not work in the REAR, fronts will with no problem (calipers + carriers bolt right in). actually, those calipers are the same as the e36 32x, carriers are just different (allowing for larger vented rotors). i really wish we had more options for the rear!

if the m roadster stuff will work, by all means let us know, because i'm sure many would be interested. there are quite a few who've done m3 fronts and left the rear stock. not sure how much that throws off biasing, but the front does do the majority of the braking, it shouldn't be too bad (imho). m3 fronts don't seem to be too bad to get into via the ebay route.

KIRASIR
05-18-2005, 02:40 PM
Everything you want to know about the fronts:
http://www.emotors.ca/articles/article.aspx?id=77

Best bang for the buck - > e46 330 front brakes

Rear:
Nothing bolts on directly (maybe e30 M3 but the brakes are almost the same as on a ti and are also non-vented) So your choices for the rear are:

1) get very agressive pads (cheap and easy)
2) make custom brackets for Z3 calipers(may or may not work)
3) get the trailing arms from an ///MZ3

SL

Ok guys I know this subject have been covered before but I’m still unclear. I’m in the process of upgrading my brake setup. I had just purchase a set of rear brake setup from 2001 M-Roadster, rear caliper, carrier, vented rotors, and brake pads. Is this a bolt on process? Am I missing any parts?

For the front setup, what are my options? I also want something as a pure bolt on process.
My goal is to have an M3 full brake setup? Is this possible? What exactly do I need for parts? Please provide all parts required for this setup

As an alternative:
E46 32X front caliper, carrier, vented rotors, brake pads

Dredder
05-19-2005, 05:00 AM
Thanks for the link. I search most threads and couldnt find this one. That really explained alot. Now i guess all I need to do is change my front setup to 330 and leave the back stock and just get better pads. Ill end up getting braided brake line.