PDA

View Full Version : Closing Sunroof with Key in Door

bmrti
05-18-2005, 08:42 PM
Can anyone answer why my 95 ti I cannot close the sunroof with the key in the door & in lock position but only closes the windows? How can I get this feature?

socal318ti
05-18-2005, 08:42 PM
I didn't think that It came with it. But don't quote me on that. My windows are the only things that roll up with the key in the lock position.

ZeroG
05-18-2005, 09:17 PM
It should not be that way. The windows and the sunroof should close. When you hold the key in the lock position after the windows go up continue to hold it there and the sunroof should start to close one or two seconds after the windows are up.

P.S. The sunroof has to be open for this feature to work. =)

bmrti
05-18-2005, 11:10 PM
I thought I was once told early model 95 ti didn't have this option but all years after did. However I tried to swap my central locking module with one from a 96 and it did not change anything

John Firestone
05-18-2005, 11:12 PM
The 'ti didn't get a one-touch open sunroof with comfort closing from the driver's key until the 1996 model year (9/95? onward).

From the 1996/97 BMW Fast Facts, p. 119:

What's new for 1996, 318ti 3-Door Coupe...

1-touch sunroof opening (sunroof included in Active Package)
Closing of sunroof from exterior door locks (closing of windows in this manner was already standard)...

bmrti
05-18-2005, 11:20 PM
I dont understand then why when I installed a central locking module from a 96 car it didn't work for me???? Maybe I didn't wait long enough. I hope I had the right module.

Fred

JPerfect
05-18-2005, 11:57 PM
95ti here, and the sunroof is not one touch, and it doesn't close with the windows.

Stimpy
05-19-2005, 01:20 AM
I have a '95 ti. Build date 9/95. The sunroof is one touch. The sunroof will only close with the key if the windows are open as well.
If the windows are closed and the sunroof is open, then the sunroof won't close with the key for some reason.

bmrti
05-19-2005, 01:25 AM
Can anyone tell me how to upgrade my ti to have the one touch option for the sunroof? Something else I would like to have. Is it as simple as changing the switch?

Fred

robcarync
05-19-2005, 01:40 AM
i have a 95 ti (10-95)...like the others said...you have to hold the key in the lock position and let the windows up, then wait and the sunroof will start. it will close it if the sunroof is open or just vented.

im pretty sure mine cloese via key even if the windows are up...but you just have to hold the key longer for it to try the windows firstl...then the sunroof.

either way....ill check my car tomorrow because i thought it did...but maybe im wrong...

so anyway...if it closes the windows....try holding the key a little longer to see if it does sunroof too...

if not im not sure whats up with it

John Firestone
05-19-2005, 07:33 AM
I dont understand then why when I installed a central locking module from a 96 car it didn't work for me???? Maybe I didn't wait long enough. I hope I had the right module.Do you have a one-touch open sunroof and did you run the power up and comfort close wires from the central module to the sunroof or verify they are there? You may need to change the sunroof drive motor and control panel, and run the wires, to get comfort closing to work from the door key (or an aftermarket alarm).

bmrti
05-19-2005, 10:20 AM
No I never had one touch or comfort close for the sunroof. Can you tell me a little more how I can upgrade to get that feature?

Fred

John Firestone
05-19-2005, 12:08 PM
It is for regular body (non-Compact) E36s, but here (http://member.rivernet.com.au/btaylor/BMWText/technical/SunroofOneTouch.html) is some information about updating an older sunroof to give it one touch open.

I wouldn't recommend adding one-touch close, however, as E36 sunroofs have a dangerously mean bite!

John Firestone
05-19-2005, 12:40 PM
I did a bit of quick part number checking.

9/95-onward compacts have a different motor ("electric sliding roof transmission") than the other E36s. I believe it is p/n 67 61 8 370 823 but double check this. It appears the replacement sunroof switch part number is the same as in the instructions I linked to. The EPC shows the cable harness it mentions but for the other E36s, not the compact. You may be able to use or adapt it anyway.

I would expect the chances of successfully retrofitting a one-touch sunroof would be high enough to make the mod worth trying if you have the money. You may discover it is more trouble than its worth, but that's always a risk when you are one of the first to do something!