PDA

View Full Version : How to know if OBD-I or OBD-II

septimus
05-20-2005, 06:50 PM
How can I tell if my car has OBD-I or OBD-II. The OBD-II cars have a plug of some sort under the dash on the drivers side? Also, don't they have 2 O2 sensors instead of just one? Can I tell from the DME number? I think my car has had a swap or something. So the year/engine is irrelevant.

m44ic
05-20-2005, 06:58 PM
How can I tell if my car has OBD-I or OBD-II. The OBD-II cars have a plug of some sort under the dash on the drivers side? Also, don't they have 2 O2 sensors instead of just one? Can I tell from the DME number? I think my car has had a swap or something. So the year/engine is irrelevant.

if its a 95 or lower its OBD1, 96 and up its OBD2

septimus
05-20-2005, 09:30 PM
Again, I think my car has had a swap or something. So the year/engine is irrelevant. How can I look at something and know OBD-I or II. It is a 96 made in 11/95 with a m44 in it. The m42 is supposed to be there according to the dealer file. But it doesn't look like a 96 because the lower trim is not body colored. So I don't know what the deal is with this car.

bimmerboi318
05-25-2005, 11:55 PM
If I'm correct, the OBD-1 engines used an air flow meter and the OBD-2 engines use a mass air sensor. The air flow meter housing is a rectangular aluminum block and the mass air sensor is a black, round, plastic housing. I've also seen a few 96's with grey sideskirts and lower bumpers like the 95's.

aceyx
05-26-2005, 05:56 AM
you are correct, there is an OBDII plug under the driver's knee bolster.