PDA

View Full Version : Towing capacity?

theseeker411
05-20-2005, 08:58 PM
Hi everyone, I'm still on the hunt for a ti, but I'm curious, does anyone know the towing capacity of a ti? Reason I'm asking is cause I'm moving to Chattanooga, TN from Ohio this fall for school and I'm bringing 2 couches with me to my house down there, along with my mini fridge, a lawnmower (possibly), and anything else that won't be able to fit inside the car. Think she'll make it there with a small trailer behind her going up those mountains? Thanks.

L84THSKY
05-20-2005, 09:22 PM
I have the only tow hitch system specifically made for the 318ti.

I'm sure you can pull the weight, but what type of hitch are you gonna use? Doesn't seem cost effective to buy the one I have ($500.00) just for one trip.
How did you plan on attaching the trailer?

Hi everyone, I'm still on the hunt for a ti, but I'm curious, does anyone know the towing capacity of a ti? Reason I'm asking is cause I'm moving to Chattanooga, TN from Ohio this fall for school and I'm bringing 2 couches with me to my house down there, along with my mini fridge, a lawnmower (possibly), and anything else that won't be able to fit inside the car. Think she'll make it there with a small trailer behind her going up those mountains? Thanks.

bmw///m3///
05-24-2005, 01:20 AM
I think if would be really hard on your clutch?

John Firestone
05-24-2005, 11:44 AM
An automatic transmission car is better for towing a trailer.

Here are the maximum allowed towing weights in kilograms from the 1997 E36 Compact sales brochure:
max. tongue weight: 75 kg
max. unbraked trailer weight: 620 kg
max. braked trailer weight, 12% grade: 1300kg (1400 kg if automatic transmission)
max. braked trailer weight, 8% grade: 1400kg (1500 kg if M44 engine towing a boat, sailplane, horse, or auto-transport trailer)
Multiply the above by 2.2 to get pounds. I hope that helps.

prd318ownr
05-24-2005, 01:14 PM
thats like me tryin to lift a 450 lb dumbell and do reps.. I think our cars stock suspention should be able to handle a light tow with the proper hitch..'

would i do it? no, but only cause of the mods and the fact my car is lowered on springs.....

pdxmotorhead
05-24-2005, 04:51 PM
You'd be ahead to rent a small u-haul and a car trailer.
318's aint tow rigs. Too easy to ruin a light duty tranny this way.

Plus you can crash in the back of the truck if its not full and you need sleep.

Good Luck
Dave