PDA

View Full Version : Three Small Problems

JPerfect
05-22-2005, 08:09 AM
When I got my car, there were major electrical problems. The lights didn't work right, the doors didn't unlock, etc. The dealer got that all fixed for me, free of charge, since i considered it a hazard, (lucky me) and it all worked fine.

From day one, my trunk never unlocked. I have to get out of the car, and actually put the key in the trunk to open it.

I have no reverse lights. It isn't a fuse or bulbs... I have seemingly tried everything. I haven't checked the switch or wiring however, because i'm still looking for a good wiring diagram/DIY fix.

On my dash, there is a red light that goes on from time to time when i start my car. It stays on for a few minutes, sometimes an hour... It is a little red light with a picture of a person sitting, a seatbelt, and the airbag. The Airbag light is orange, and there are no problems there. Or am I thinking ABS? Yeah, that's orange, along with CHECK ENGINE, but those aren't giving me problems... just this airbag light is. However, this light goes on and off sometimes without warning, and i'm just wondering what it is and if it's direly important.

John Firestone
05-22-2005, 11:26 AM
What year and model car do you have (it's the 1995 318ti listed in your profile?), how many miles does it have and where has it been driven?

aceyx
05-22-2005, 07:25 PM
the lock and reverse lights make it sound like there is a short in the harness running to the back. i'm not certain but this is where i would start.

the airbag light is probably the seatbelt sensor or the passenger airbag sensor (both common failure in these cars).

mickd
05-22-2005, 07:46 PM
Common problem on early ti's was the reverse light switch on the transmission. I replaced mine after owning my '95 ti around a year after buying the car new. I believe the switch was redesigned, haven't had a problem since. The switch is easy to replace yourself.

JPerfect
05-28-2005, 12:27 AM
I'll look into the switch, thanks.