PDA

View Full Version : Fuel additives+Fuel filter replacement

redbeemer
05-25-2005, 02:57 AM
I have been putting something called stepco in my fuel for the last few months and it cleans the fuel filter. Besides the obvious changes needed (oil, air) is there anything i should be looking out for or that could be the cause of problems.

gooten1
05-25-2005, 03:13 AM
Do you have any problems now? Or are you just adding this Stepco to prevent future problems? I haven't heard of it before. Are you having problems with your fuel system?

I've used additives a few times, mainly Marvel Mystery Oil, added to my oil and fuel. That helps protect the system a bit more.

cali-ti
05-25-2005, 03:21 AM
it cleans the fuel FILTER or fuel INJECTORS? the fuel filter's job is to make sure bad things don't make it to the upstream fueling system which would cause problems for the injectors and such.

generally i'll use lubro moly injector cleaner (couple cans in a full tank of gas) and then change the fuel filter once that's run through.

ZeroG
05-25-2005, 05:13 AM
I have not used that many fuel additives some of my favorites are Jetron by Lubro Molly as I use that kind of oil. Also touline is a paint thiner that can be supplemented as an octane booster. It is a lot cheaper and just as effective. There are tons of guys that dump it in there gas tank with every fill up.

-Chad

Mothman
06-01-2005, 07:58 PM
Try to stay away from letting your fuel tank run so low. Yes, I know that gas prices are high, but try to stay away from running you fuel tank dry!

GDB
06-01-2005, 08:08 PM
sea foam is the only additive that i've ever used and I love it.

jflip2002
06-01-2005, 11:08 PM
I work at an auto parts store, so needless to say, we sell a lot of additives. I use lucas fuel treatment along with the additive for synthetic oils. The fuel treatment cleans the injectors, but it also lubricates all the parts, like the fuel pump and what not.

I put it in my girlfriends camaro also, and the nedle doesn't move, its crazy. My case isn't so extreme (probably because I have a heavy foot), but my economy is a lot better, and my acceleration is way better also. I'd use it once evey 6-8 fill ups. Its pretty afordable too, about $3.99 list price. That's enough for one fill up.