PDA

View Full Version : Fuel gauge reading empty even though I just filled up!! HELP

mt3ch
05-28-2005, 03:55 PM
I have a 98 318ti with 80k miles and after filling up the other day, the car read empty. The yellow light stays on and the needles is basically looks as if its broken since it stays to the left of the yellow light like its NEGATIVE empty.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks,
Justin

Mendi3
05-28-2005, 04:20 PM
Very common problem. The floater in the gas tank fails to read correctly when the gas tank gets too full. I found out to solve the problem by stopping pumping gas at the first click.

Here are some comments from other members:

http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3131&highlight=fuel+gauge

mt3ch
05-28-2005, 08:21 PM
Well It turns out its a fuse. But everytime I replace the fuse for the instrument cluster...it shorts out after 30 seconds of driving! What can I do to fix this.

My Temp guage, cloack and fuel gauge arent working after the fuse blows!!!!

John Firestone
05-28-2005, 08:26 PM
Whatever you do, do not replace it with a higher amperage fuse.

The instrument cluster is connected to several fuses. Which one keeps blowing out?

mt3ch
05-28-2005, 09:50 PM
Its the last one in the top panel. i think #46. Its a blue fuse with a 15.

I replaced the fuse and disconnected both tail light assembelies and so far so good. 2 of the Brake light bulbs are toasty so I think it could be that. Thanks for the help guys. Im going to purchase new bulbs for all the taillights and I hope that remedies the problem.

I appreaciate all the help and that you guys can share information on possbile scenarios.

Im just mad that the 98 ti has so many issues. I had a 99 328is and a 2002 325ci with an aa blower and I never had any issues. And I currently have a 2003 330i ZHP and only had the ignition coil problem which was a factory recall. Oh well... just makes me mad cause the ti could have been soooooo much more!

Thanks,
Justin