PDA

View Full Version : Odometer

BimmerBabe
05-28-2005, 05:37 PM
As I was driving home last night, I noticed that my odometer wasn't working (it's just black and has no numbers)...has anyone had this problem before? Does anyone know how to fix it?

cali-ti
05-29-2005, 10:17 PM
any other dash/gauge lights out? i'd start by checking the fuses (forget if dash ones are under under the hood or if some are under the dash - not at home so i'm not near my car or manuals).

BimmerBabe
06-01-2005, 08:00 PM
Everything else seems to be alright...it's just my odometer that's not showing up....sometimes it shows up very faintly and other times it's completely black. Is there a way to fix this on my own, or should I take it to a shop or something?

any other dash/gauge lights out? i'd start by checking the fuses (forget if dash ones are under under the hood or if some are under the dash - not at home so i'm not near my car or manuals).

Tyler
06-01-2005, 08:57 PM
As I was driving home last night, I noticed that my odometer wasn't working (it's just black and has no numbers)...has anyone had this problem before? Does anyone know how to fix it?

I had a similar problem once and i just tapped the plastic in front with my hand and it came back on. I'd check the fuses and if not that just try tapping it with your hand and see if that works.

cali-ti
06-03-2005, 02:08 AM
i was trying to find something that discussed removing the gauge cluster. if it's lighting sometimes, i would think it's getting power at least intermittently, perhaps the connection to it is just loose. the only thing i found regarding accessing the gauge cluster was this (not very informative): http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36/interior/e36_instrument_cluster_light_change.html

perhaps you could post on how to gain access to the bulbs behind the instrument/gauge cluster? not sure how much work it is as i've never done it.

jflip2002
06-03-2005, 03:03 AM
I had an odometer problem in my e30. And even though they are different, they have to have some similarities Id imagine. I had to tap mine, and it worked, to begin with. Then my speedometer stopped working, and had to tap that. Then my odometer got stuck at 119,999 miles, and didnt move after that. So I had to get a new one.

Hope that helps! lol

robcarync
06-03-2005, 09:09 PM
i had a computer monitor like that...it would turn off randomly, and id give it a swift slap on the side and it would turn back on!

eventually i hit it too much and it broke though...