PDA

View Full Version : Coolant Change Interval

Turo
06-02-2005, 06:14 AM
I am getting conflicting information about coolant change/flush intervals. Some say that the ethylene/glycol mix does not really need to be replaced unless there has been a problem with the coolant system and the stuff has gotten contaminated. Some say that the coolant should be replaced every 3 years no matter what; this is probably what also BMW manuals say. Sub-zero temps are not an issue where I live but I am concerned about corrosion inhibitor performance over time - my ti is a low mile car and sits idle a lot. Then again, aren't the radiator, engine block, cylincer head, etc. all aluminum, so what is there to corrode? Can anyone help me out here.....

H3_2.1-ti
06-02-2005, 12:36 PM
I am getting conflicting information about coolant change/flush intervals. Some say that the ethylene/glycol mix does not really need to be replaced unless there has been a problem with the coolant system and the stuff has gotten contaminated. Some say that the coolant should be replaced every 3 years no matter what; this is probably what also BMW manuals say. Sub-zero temps are not an issue where I live but I am concerned about corrosion inhibitor performance over time - my ti is a low mile car and sits idle a lot. Then again, aren't the radiator, engine block, cylincer head, etc. all aluminum, so what is there to corrode? Can anyone help me out here.....

Change the coolant every two years as preventive maintenance. It's not hard and certainly not expensive if you do it yourself.

Cheers,

bimmerboi318
06-05-2005, 02:23 AM
Yeah the corrosion inhibitors arent good forever. Usually it's about every 3 years but 2 is even better. There is some 5 year coolant out there, but I dont think it's compatible with regular green coolant.

aceyx
06-05-2005, 03:31 AM
change the coolant every two.

flush every third time (every six years).

Sarafil
06-05-2005, 03:21 PM
change the coolant every two.

flush every third time (every six years).

BMW has changed their requirements quite a bit over the past few years. I change the brake fluid and coolant every two years on my 318. On newer cars, the interval has gone from 3 years to 4 years, and more recently they have started to use "lifetime" fluid in the new models.

One of these days, they're going to place the engine in a totally sealed compartment that you won't be able to gain access to, and they're going to tell you to just drive the car until it explodes, and then buy a new one.

95_White_ti
07-23-2005, 07:32 PM
I'm a newbie thus i have to ask a quick question so that I don't have to start a new tread. What coolant is used for ours cars? I know that my previous car, 1997 VW Golf, used an orange one and some other cars use green. Thanks

aceyx
07-23-2005, 11:58 PM
green, but everywhere i've read says it's best to get the stuff from BMW.

dianacra47
05-05-2012, 02:41 PM
BMW E21 Hartge 323irs H3: http://play.kendincos.com/156974/Wtxlprvvzlpjntxjn-bmw-e21-hartge-323irs-h3.html