PDA

View Full Version : ZEX Install

AlaskaBlue
06-09-2005, 10:27 PM
I just purchased my zex wet kit. There seems to be only two problems with installation. I need to know where to get the fuel from. I do have a t fitting. I also need to know where to attach the wire to the throttle position sensor. Any other additional information would be good also.

Thanks

AlaskaBlue
06-10-2005, 06:35 AM
Bump because I need help.

ZeroG
06-10-2005, 04:09 PM
Bump because I need help.

You should be able to "T" the fuel from where the FPR area underneath the drivers side of the car. While your down there take a look at where the steering rack is there should be plenty of room to mount the box right there it keeps it hidden and out of sight.

As for the throttle wire it should tell you in the manual. I would call ZEX and ask a tech.

-Chad

AlaskaBlue
06-10-2005, 08:02 PM
Thank you Thank you Thank you

Any suggestions for how to get the nitrous line from the drivers side in the front through the fire wall into the engine bay?

ZeroG
06-10-2005, 08:08 PM
Thank you Thank you Thank you

Any suggestions for how to get the nitrous line from the drivers side in the front through the fire wall into the engine bay?

I assume that you are mounting the tank in the trunk. I would drill a hole in the floor of the trunk add a grommet and then using clamps or zip ties run it along the chassis and then up into the engine bay. Since you will be exiting the car in the trunk you will not need go through the fire wall.

I would either follow the fuel line up into the engine bay or just hug the firewall.

Please post pics and result when you are done.

-Chad

DustenT
06-10-2005, 08:55 PM
I wouldn't run your NO2 through the interior. I agree with the last post, run it outside of your car.

AlaskaBlue
06-11-2005, 12:42 AM
I will definately post pics and stuff of the install. I will also post my quarter mile times.

AlaskaBlue
06-12-2005, 08:07 AM
Ok I worked on this for a long time today. We got the nitrous tank in the trunk. We ran the lines out a hole in the trunk under the car into the engine bay. Mounted the box in a super hidden location. Changed jets on nozzle to a 55 shot. Drilled and inserted nozzle into the underside of the intake. Used T valve to join in with the fuel line......This is where the problems began.

We decided to test start the car to make sure no fuel was leaking. Well fuel was leaking at the T valve. We tightened the hose clamps on the T valve and tightened the fuel line leading to the control box. This did not help. We had to eventually rehook up the fuel line without the T valve because luckily it was still long enough to reach. Hopefully tomorrow we will solve the leaking.

Tonight I am tired of gasoline and the underside of my car 5 inches from my face.

ZeroG
06-12-2005, 06:18 PM
Interesting sorry to hear that you have the leak. Try using thread tape or some kind of sealent. Also make sure that you a "T" off the correct line there should be two under there. One from the tank to the injectors and the other is from the rail to the tank (return line). You want use the one going from the tank to the rail.

-Chad

Ok I worked on this for a long time today. We got the nitrous tank in the trunk. We ran the lines out a hole in the trunk under the car into the engine bay. Mounted the box in a super hidden location. Changed jets on nozzle to a 55 shot. Drilled and inserted nozzle into the underside of the intake. Used T valve to join in with the fuel line......This is where the problems began.

We decided to test start the car to make sure no fuel was leaking. Well fuel was leaking at the T valve. We tightened the hose clamps on the T valve and tightened the fuel line leading to the control box. This did not help. We had to eventually rehook up the fuel line without the T valve because luckily it was still long enough to reach. Hopefully tomorrow we will solve the leaking.

Tonight I am tired of gasoline and the underside of my car 5 inches from my face.

AlaskaBlue
06-12-2005, 06:59 PM
We used the one going from the tank to the rail. The gas was going from the Fuel line through the T all the way to the box, but there was a dripping leak where the side of the fuel line nearest to the fuel rail after the T valve. This is basically the only thing left needed to do to hook up the actual kit. The rest is wiring the TPS, Power, and Switch.

I am going to work on it here in a few hours. I will post results.

ZeroG
06-15-2005, 10:00 PM
Any updates? Just seeing how everything turned out. Where did you get your ZEX Kit from (Model#?) and what was the $$$.

-Chad

AlaskaBlue
06-19-2005, 06:17 PM
Hey sorry I have been gone at orientation and my first college class. I got my zex wet kit from a buddy and so far I have 150 dollars in it. I do not know what the model number is, but zex kits are all basically universal.

Everything is installed except for the wiring, but I am still trying to get ahold of Dinan to find out how much my ignition is advanced before I use it.

If anyone can find out which wire is the tps that would be very helpful.

AlaskaBlue
06-19-2005, 06:20 PM
The fuel leak was caused because with the addition of the T valve the fuel line was too long. I shortened the fuel line hooked everything back up and it worked perfectly.

ZeroG
06-19-2005, 08:13 PM
What a tease!!! You know that you have to give us a little more then that. What kit did you end up going with (Universal?)? Do you have the part number? Any pics? Have you fired the system up? How does the spary feel?

-Chad

AlaskaBlue
06-19-2005, 10:52 PM
I haven't used the kit yet. I had to order a new jet for the 55 shot and the shop i got it through sent me the jets for a dry kit. I am glad I caught this before I used it.

I do not have part number, but I will look on various pieces of the kit.

I get my KW variant 3 coil-overs installed tomorrow so I will take pictures tomorrow.

I hope to fire up the system as soon as I get figured out which is the tps. I will call the dealer monday to see which is which. I was planning on testing it by spraying outside the car to make sure everything is working properly before testing it at the strip.

Wednesday is the soonest it could possibly be used because I have to order new jets (again).

ZeroG
06-20-2005, 02:37 AM
As for the TSP the sensor is the only plug that is connected to the throttle body. I don't know how many wires are inside the harness, but I am sure the bently can provide you with the wiring diagram.

I look forward to seeing the pics...

-Chad

AlaskaBlue
06-20-2005, 03:51 AM
Yeah I found the TPS and I am assuming that there are three wires inside because there are three terminals. Pics tomorrow.

ZeroG
06-20-2005, 07:18 AM
Yeah I found the TPS and I am assuming that there are three wires inside because there are three terminals. Pics tomorrow.

You're probably right about the three wires if they are three terminals. This is just a guess, but one wire is most likely a ground, the second is a low/part throttle, and the third is WOT.

BMW likes to do wierd crap like this, where they break up the load ranges with different wires. Look forward to the pics.

-Chad

AlaskaBlue
06-20-2005, 07:37 PM
Ok so I lied about the pics sorry guys coming tomorrow....I had to end up ordering 12mm hubcentric wheel spacers so I won't have my car until tomorrow. It will be worth it though. As for the nitrous I obviously won't be able to work on it tonight since my car is in indianapolis. Update tomorrow.

ZeroG
06-21-2005, 02:37 AM
I'll forgive you this time. Look forward to seeing those pics and results. Now if I am not mistaken you don't need to change out the whole jet just the little restricter inside, right?

-Chad

AlaskaBlue
06-21-2005, 05:01 PM
Right just one , so pics today hopefully. Oh the spending continues my ball joints were shot so I had to purchse control arms. I got Meyle control arms with solid metal ball joints, and my front rotors were warped so I got 330 front brakes. I think I am addicted. Oh well.