PDA

View Full Version : No A/c

vwt3
06-10-2005, 02:30 AM
Crap turns 91 degress no A/C. Checked all the fuses look good, all lights work on ac buttons,seems to be that the ac clutch is not engageing you can feel the pull on the motor when it comes on but it's not comeing on. With motor running you can spin it by hand I think it's dead :x Anything else to check ? If it's the ac clutch do you have to replace the whole compresser?
Any and all input would be helpful :biggrin:

Thanks vwt3

m44ic
06-10-2005, 02:34 AM
Crap turns 91 degress no A/C. Checked all the fuses look good, all lights work on ac buttons,seems to be that the ac clutch is not engageing you can feel the pull on the motor when it comes on but it's not comeing on. With motor running you can spin it by hand I think it's dead :x Anything else to check ? If it's the ac clutch do you have to replace the whole compresser?
Any and all input would be helpful :biggrin:

Thanks vwt3

try getting it charged. that is usually the culprit with A/C problems

vwt3
06-10-2005, 02:39 AM
Hey m44ic Should not the clutch be ingageing, charged or not charged???

m44ic
06-10-2005, 02:46 AM
Hey m44ic Should not the clutch be ingageing, charged or not charged???

I dunno, thats a good question

318tibimmer
07-23-2005, 06:13 PM
If the coolant is low the compressor will not turn on to avoid burning up the compressor. However I am having the exact same problem and my A/C system is fully charged. I do have a problem with the A/C Clutch. Called BMW - it is like $350 for the Clutch kit, and $605 for a full compressor. I don't know what I am going to do.

vwt3
08-05-2005, 01:06 AM
Problem fixed so hot here had to fix it. got a recharge kit with test gauge, real simple.
So every thing is coooooooooooooooooooool.

vwt3

montjuic
08-05-2005, 04:52 PM
Hi--Could you tell me what kit you got? Was it a combination oil/r134 refridg. that goes in the top port? I tried a canister of some, but nothing seemed to change.
But yeah, my 1998 m44 a/c has the exact symptoms your car had.

Thanks for the info.
-BC

vwt3
08-06-2005, 01:12 AM
Hey montjuic, the kit I got was a Interdynamics EZ Chill from the local NAPA store.
There are two kits one with the gauge and one without, I got the one with the gauge because my system was complety dry. This kit has the R-134a refrigerant with the oil charge and leak sealer in it, three cans in kit. The gauge with the low port fitting will only fit this port so you won't put on high port which is bad. Easy after that just follow insturctions,shake can a couple of times when filling and watch your gauge so you won't overcharge. Make sure car is running so it will suck the refrigerant in.

Hope this helps
vwt3

carol7lynn
08-06-2005, 03:42 AM
Where is the intake or low-end port located to recharge the air conditioner located in my 1997 318ti? I had it kinda looked at by a mechanic when he did my inspection I and he said the compressor works fine but it could run around $140 to check for leaks and refill. I told him forget it.

I've read on various forums that there are kits you can buy and I know my ex-husband used to to refill our old car. Kits to look for leaks and kits to recharge. Right now I just want to recharge. The car is 8 years old and the freon may, according to some posts, not necessarily have leaked it it could have been used up.

My problem is the only on-line picture I could find, was from a different series of bmw, on another forum and it had two intake ports located side by side near the windshield. I don't see that type configuration under my hood of my 1997 318ti.

I do see what I think is the "low" intake port in the front of the car above the passenger-side headlight in front of a white container of blue fluid. It has a black screw off cap. After you take the cap off the inside looks like the value ona tire. Is that where you attach the refill hose from the refill kit?

Thanks for anyhelp.

Just trying to save a buck. :smile:
Carol C

vwt3
08-09-2005, 02:02 AM
Hey carol7lynn the low port on the ti is up by the firewall right next to the battery it has a black plastic cap on it like a valve stem cap,the refill kit will only fit this port so you can't put on the high side port which is the one up by the headlight.my ti is a 95 with 125k. freon will leak out over time and this is the frist for me. You should turn on AC a few times over the winter to let freon move to keep seals oiled so I'm told.Only 45 dollars for kit with gauge at local NAPA store

hpoes ths helps
vwt3

carol7lynn
08-10-2005, 06:03 PM
Thanks VWT3. I went to Kragen's yesterday and got a can with a gauage for $25. It was the the kind with oil in it so that it also stops leaks. Long story short, I got up a 6:00 a.m. so that the outside temp was about 75 degress. It took an entire can but the air is nice and cold. For now.

I will check this afternoon when it gets around 100 to see for sure. But if it wasn't for your help I would have never found the intake port. So you saved me a $115-at least. It took about 25 minutes, start to finish as I went slowly, kept shaking the can, and all that stuff.

I'll keep ya posted. I also installed new wipers yesterday too. One arm and one just needed a refill blade. The blade was harder to install than the arm. I should be a mechanic rather than a teacher.

I love this forum. You guys even helped me choose the right tires too, I went with the Bridgestone Protenzas and the ride is great now.

Peace
Carol from California :tongue:

vwt3
08-10-2005, 09:12 PM
Hey carol7lyn, Glad it went well and that you posted your results for all to see for that helps others that follow thru the post. Lot of people here helped me and or just reading other peep's post get ya to thinking in the right direction.good luck and have fun with your car. :biggrin:

vwt3

carol7lynn
08-11-2005, 02:36 AM
Update on the air conditioning re-charge. Went out about 4:00 p.m. this afternoon and the a/c was working great. It didn't get to 100 today but the on board computer registered 85. From past experience it before the recharge it never worked even at 85 so I'm as pleased as punch.

Again thanks to all who helped me. We substitute teacher don't make any money in the summer so that $115 I saved can pay for a lot of things like food and medicine for my dog Skippie!

Everyone have a good day!
CarolC :biggrin: