PDA

View Full Version : Power steering noise after turning hard left

Fender
06-13-2005, 10:14 PM
If I make an aggressive sharp left turn, I get a hum from the Power steering, and I can feel it in the steering wheel slightly. Any idea what this is and how to fix it?

I told the local dealer about it. They couldn't duplicate the problem so I took one of the mechanics out for a test drive: He nearly crapped his pants! but I was able to demonstrate the problem. After I parked, he said "These cars weren't meant to be driven like that". News to me. : )

MEDIA PUSHER"
06-14-2005, 12:54 AM
Most likely a power steering leak, top it off, i'd still get it checked, but if the sound goes away thats the culprit. my only other advise is something I read that specifically stated never to hold the wheel to either limit for more than five seconds.

Fender
06-14-2005, 02:11 PM
The mechanic said the fluids are fine, but they are bringing the levels to the uppermost limit. They think I'm generating enough G's to temporarily drain the fluid.

That doesn't make sense to me. I'm not the first person to drive a BMW aggressively. : )

Has anyone else experienced this before?

lkwd318ti
06-15-2005, 05:16 AM
Hey it might be your ABS...(i think)
I just got home right now and i made a u turn earlier...and I think it made that sound you were describing...
Were you on your brake pedal when you heard it?...My pedal was shaking alot.
Good luck figuring out what it is.

-Randy

Fender
06-15-2005, 02:31 PM
I feel this in the steering wheel.

I picked up the car yesterday and took it to a vacant lot to test it out. Over-filling the power steering reservior seemed to work.

hubrisin
06-23-2005, 03:19 PM
i just made a hard right turn this morning and heard a scraping noise. it only happened when turning hard and a high rate of speed. since my rotors are slightly warped, i thought it might be the pads making contact with an uneven surface.
-matt

Three_eighteenTiGuy
06-23-2005, 05:22 PM
I get the same noise after turning hard left. Same outcome with the dealer. Cant seem to figure this one out, but, Ive been dealing with this since I bought the car last august and it hasnt seemed to have any negative effects, just a terrible sound...good luck.

chepas
06-23-2005, 05:45 PM
the same thing happened to me. I noticed it while driving at high speeds (65-80 mph) a slightly turning to the right, I felt the RT front tire was kind of lossen...vibrating!?
any ideas? bushings? ballbearings?

moku
06-23-2005, 06:54 PM
Check your wheel bearings. That would be my guess.

rendoll911
06-24-2005, 05:46 AM
This probably isnt it but the plastic in my fender came lose in the front passenger wheel well and when i took sharp left turns the wheel would rub and make a vibrating noise and you could feel it in the steering wheel... like i said this is probably not the case but its worth checking

96ti
07-10-2005, 01:29 PM
Check the hoses to see if there is any leak. I have the axact same experience before. I noticed there was a leak in the resevoir-to-pump hose, changed it as well as the fluid. The problem's gone. Even you have no leaks, I would still recomend changing the fluid; it's very easy. This is a very comon problem in the E36 models.

JPerfect
07-17-2005, 08:49 AM
the same thing happened to me. I noticed it while driving at high speeds (65-80 mph) a slightly turning to the right, I felt the RT front tire was kind of lossen...vibrating!?
any ideas? bushings? ballbearings?

I had the exact problem, and it was the control arm/bushing/ball joint assembly. I had to get it all replaced in the front, it was about to fall apart.

Get it checked out!

hubrisin
08-08-2005, 11:23 PM
After doing replacing my front rotors and pads, I figured out what the scrapping noise was. The protection plate was rubbing against the rotors,the plate itself is thin stamped metal, and can be easily bent. Before I removed the rotors I could hear the scraping, after bending the metal the back the noise is gone. Also. I noticed the wheel is has made slight contact with the strut housing, but that is another way of getting the noise too. Bearings going bad is a constant whinning sound even at low speeds.
Matt