PDA

View Full Version : Cigarette lighter

BMWVW
06-21-2005, 02:08 PM
I just bought myself an iPod (which I am loving :) and a car charger. I have noticed that the cigarette lighter maintains power even after the car is shut off. Is there a way to make it switch off with the car that anyone knows of?

Cheers,
Paul.

John Firestone
06-21-2005, 05:46 PM
You could move the cigarette lighter to a switched power circuit. Few, however, are wired and fused for 30A, like, I believe, the lighter is. You would probably want to get rid of the lighter glow plug and replace it with the plastic fill plug from the non-smoker package.

BMWVW
06-23-2005, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the tip. I don't know that I want to change the stock fitting, so I was thinking of wiring an auxillary cigarette socket instead. Can anyone recommend a switched circuit in the interior of the car that I could potentially add the socket to in parallel?

Cheers,
Paul.

John Firestone
06-23-2005, 07:29 PM
There are five possible fused circuits you could tie into that will give you power with the ignition in the radio/accessory position:
F42 -- has the airbag: risky
F43 -- only 5A: may be too whimpy

F44 -- 15A circuit that supplies the radio among other things: perhaps your best bet if you don't have a high-power sound system on this circuit

F45 -- 7.5A, but has the EWS on it: if you blow this fuse you can't start the car

F46 -- 15A, but powers the instrument cluster and cruise control

I would guess F44 with VI/SW (violet/black) wires is your best bet. However, someone will likely blow this fuse if they accidently plug in and press a cigarette lighter into your second socket.

aceyx
06-23-2005, 07:30 PM
find the purple wire with the white stripe; it's a switched power line.

use any ground (THIN brown) wire.

John Firestone
06-23-2005, 07:36 PM
I believe that's F43 with a 5A fuse. If I can believe the ETM I am looking at, you should be able to double that fuse to 10A as the smallest wire on that circuit is 0.5 mm^2. Good call.

You'll still blow the fuse if you plug in a cigarette lighter.

I would bolt another (preferably brown) ground wire to a chassis ground point rather than tap into an existing one.

BMWVW
06-23-2005, 07:44 PM
Thank you both. I think I have enough to investigate (and hopefully keep me out of trouble :) ). I think I will check the power requirements for the head unit and if it is low enough to safely add another piece of equipment, use that circuit.

Cheers,
Paul.

John Firestone
06-23-2005, 08:14 PM
Either circuit, off F43 or F44, should be fine for your iPod. I was just thinking ahead. Someday, you may be tempted to plug in something into your second socket with a greater draw. I am now not sure which would be the better choice.

Tyler
03-10-2006, 11:25 PM
Once the alarm is engaged if you have one it cuts the power to the whole car. This is on a factory Bmw alarm not aftermarket.