PDA

View Full Version : dinan s1 upgrade package

jflip2002
06-22-2005, 10:33 PM
I was looking at dinanbmw.com lastnight, just taking a glance. And I saw the upgrade kit for about $3000-$3400. Do you think that's worth it, or a waste of cash? I was contemplating on eventually getting that. It comes with a cool plaque too lol

nick_hegel
06-23-2005, 02:40 PM
I was looking at dinanbmw.com lastnight, just taking a glance. And I saw the upgrade kit for about $3000-$3400. Do you think that's worth it, or a waste of cash? I was contemplating on eventually getting that. It comes with a cool plaque too lol oooh that plaque is tempting, but I personally wouldn't get it.

jflip2002
06-23-2005, 03:05 PM
Not even if it comes with the dinan badge lid? lol. I was going to spend about that much on 19"s and tires, but I thought maybe thatd be a better $3400 spent. Considering I have no chip, hi performance throttle body, high flow mafs, stock exhaust, stock suspension, and stock intake, and my suspension is stock. Im just more leary about the cost of labor to put all of this on.

nick_hegel
06-23-2005, 04:36 PM
Comparing that to the wheels and tires, I would go with the Dinan stuff!! That badge would kick ass! I've only seen 1 ti with the Dinan badge before.

Panzer_M
06-23-2005, 04:46 PM
I would get the dinan stuff and sell the badge to a honda ricer.

where is the CAI you have listed for the e36/5 Nick?

nick_hegel
06-23-2005, 06:37 PM
The previous owner got it from the local dealer I think!

moku
06-23-2005, 06:48 PM
As much as I like Dinan, I don't think it's worth it. For your $3400, I belive you get a CAI, free-flow throttle body, free-flow exhaust, Stage 2 chip, and Dinan signature floor mats. That gets you maybe an additional 15-20 horses.

If you spend that same money on a DASC, you'll get a lot more power and torque for the same investment. Granted, you won't have the Dinan badge on your car, but you'll get more bang for your buck.

nick_hegel
06-23-2005, 06:55 PM
^^ I agree! If I was contemplating a sc or the Dinan package, I would get the DASC first then save up for the Dinan package. Some people are addicted to having the Dinan parts plastered everywhere. My brother is just like this and is getting the Dinan Supercharger for his M3 as soon as he sells his truck

Tyler
06-23-2005, 07:51 PM
anyone that spends $1800 for 13 hp is stupid. Was it $400 for a ecu that gives you 5hp. You got to be kidding me.

jflip2002
06-23-2005, 08:06 PM
You get a stage 3 chip, high flow mafs, performance throttle body, cai, mats, new suspension, mats, lid badge, and plaque. And it also doesn't add the wear and tear that a dasc will on your engine

Tyler
06-23-2005, 08:24 PM
You get a stage 3 chip, high flow mafs, performance throttle body, cai, mats, new suspension, mats, lid badge, and plaque. And it also doesn't add the wear and tear that a dasc will on your engine

Your right no wear and tear but only 15 hp gain for 3 grand and tourque stays at 138. Whoever does this must be on alot of crack,I'd rather spend the 3grand on a S/C and get 60-70 hp gain or buy an m3 engine for the same price and get 250 + hp. Plus the Downing Atlanta S/C only runs about 20% of the time it's never 100% engaged,it doesn't harm the engine as much as some other S/C or Turbos.

moku
06-23-2005, 09:09 PM
What wear and tear? My DASC has been running well since I installed it, without any increase in wear and tear.

Look, I went through the same debate a year ago. Dinan or DASC? But when it came down to it, I just didn't feel that the money spent for Dinan's products were worth it. Yeah, there's some prestige in having a Dinan Signature car, but at the end of the day, I would get more HP and torque from the DASC for the same amount of money.

If Dinan had more products for our model that offer a significant increase in performance (i.e. supercharger), I may have gone with them. But they don't.

It's really up to you. If you prefer to have a Dinan badge on your car and mild increase in performance, then go for it.

But you asked if it was worth it, and in my opinion it's not. Especially when you consider the other options that are available.

jflip2002
06-24-2005, 04:17 AM
I suppose that is a good point. I found out today that will actually go on hold for quite some time.... I have to spend $2800 to move to hawaii, and that includes shipping my car there.

moku
06-24-2005, 05:32 AM
I suppose that is a good point. I found out today that will actually go on hold for quite some time.... I have to spend $2800 to move to hawaii, and that includes shipping my car there.
You may want to try to have as much done while you're still here because it's going to get a lot harder and more expensive to find mods for your Bimmer once you move out there. I'm from Oahu and now live on the mainland, and when I was living there, Bimmer parts weren't as abundant and what you could find was at a premium. You can still try to find things online, but shipping is going to be expensive.

I still think the DASC is a better choice, but I recommend getting whatever you choose done before you move out there, if you can.

Dredder
06-24-2005, 07:45 AM
Do you guys know why BMW are so expensice to mod? BMW doesnt really have too much companies that provide aftermarket pruduct for their cars. Its companies like DINAN that exploit that market. I not going to name other companaies but look at the option for F/I route. Does it really cost 8k-10k for turboing an M3. I mean think about it.
DASC I believe is the best bang for the buck. $3400 is around what honda/acura are shelling out for a complere turbo/SC it.

Tyler
06-24-2005, 02:53 PM

You better upgrade your alarm system if you move to Hawaii,and i wouldn't leave anything of value in your car ever.

jflip2002
06-24-2005, 03:11 PM
Ive been to hawaii before for about a month or so. It wouldnt be possible for me to do any mods before I go there. ITs kind of a spur of the moment rush thing. Im not too worried about anything happening to my valueable....... I live in freakin Fresno, California lol.

moku
06-24-2005, 10:11 PM
You better upgrade your alarm system if you move to Hawaii,and i wouldn't leave anything of value in your car ever.
That can be said of most places, not just Hawaii.

If you leave something valuable in your car, in plain view, you really can't be too surprised if it's not there when you come back. Maybe it's different in Rhode Island, but Hawaii isn't the only place that people steal things from cars.

Tyler
06-24-2005, 10:52 PM
That can be said of most places, not just Hawaii.

If you leave something valuable in your car, in plain view, you really can't be too surprised if it's not there when you come back. Maybe it's different in Rhode Island, but Hawaii isn't the only place that people steal things from cars.

My brother has been out there for about 4 yrs now and i here stories from him and my other family members that live there. They basically say if your not a local person there that they break into your car and steal your belongings and or car. They can easily spot tourists there and they go for them.
Agreed anywhere in the US has bad parts of each states where you hafve to be careful.

moku
06-24-2005, 11:10 PM
My brother has been out there for about 4 yrs now and i here stories from him and my other family members that live there. They basically say if your not a local person there that they break into your car and steal your belongings and or car. They can easily spot tourists there and they go for them.
Agreed anywhere in the US has bad parts of each states where you hafve to be careful.
Yeah, it's a little different for haole people from the mainland, and tourists are usually spotted by their rental car. If it's an American car, more often than not, it's probably a rental. Most locals drive Japanese cars. And it also depends on the island and where you're at on the island. Some areas are worse than others.

Even when you're not looking for trouble, trouble may be looking for you. And that can happen anywhere.

jflip2002
06-26-2005, 12:00 AM
My aunt has lived there since I was about 4 or 5, so I guess 16-17 years now. And Ive never really heard anything bad. Fresno is pretty bad as it is. If you leave your face on your deck, you will have no window and no deck lol. She said its not too bad there. I dont know if she lives in a better part or not, but she lives in Kihei, Maui. I dont have an alarm on my car at all, so lets see how that goes over lol. Neither does she, but then again, she drives a little toyota paseo lol. I think all will be well.

myblueTI
06-26-2005, 04:12 AM
you can get the 20 horse from all of the parts but the badge is where the powers at. I think that when you put the badge on it like an extra 25-30 horses so its a big power booster. (hehe)

As much as I like Dinan, I don't think it's worth it. For your $3400, I belive you get a CAI, free-flow throttle body, free-flow exhaust, Stage 2 chip, and Dinan signature floor mats. That gets you maybe an additional 15-20 horses.

If you spend that same money on a DASC, you'll get a lot more power and torque for the same investment. Granted, you won't have the Dinan badge on your car, but you'll get more bang for your buck.

jflip2002
06-26-2005, 11:41 PM
Moku... You are from HI.... Do you have to smog your car there? We do here, so an M3 swap is impossible. Though it would be near impossible with shipping to HI.

moku
06-27-2005, 06:15 PM
Moku... You are from HI.... Do you have to smog your car there? We do here, so an M3 swap is impossible. Though it would be near impossible with shipping to HI.
No, they don't have smog requirements like we do out here in California. But they do have vehicle inspections, which can actually be a bitch. If you don't pass the inspection, your car can't be registered. And they look at everything. For example, they measure ride height. If your car is too low, you fail.

The other thing that you'll have to deal with is called RECON which requires every mod on your car to be DOT approved. And you'll need to provide documentation.

And if you get pulled over by the cops and they find you in violation of any of the inspection or RECON requirements, the fines can be pretty high.

So although emissions is less of an issue there, some modifications can get you in trouble.

jflip2002
06-27-2005, 06:46 PM
Assuming I get the dinan kit, that should be legal shouldn't it? It says 50 state legal, so I'm assuming it comes with documentation. But who knows how much I will be putting into my car after the cost of living and entertainment expenses

moku
06-27-2005, 08:58 PM
Assuming I get the dinan kit, that should be legal shouldn't it? It says 50 state legal, so I'm assuming it comes with documentation. But who knows how much I will be putting into my car after the cost of living and entertainment expenses
Yeah, you should be fine with Dinan's kit. Just hold onto the paperwork or make sure you get the paperwork from Dinan showing that their mods are DOT approved.