PDA

View Full Version : odd window problem - electrical (not regulator).

aceyx
06-28-2005, 01:17 AM
this has only happened a few times in the past few days, so i'm still trying to figure out what's actually happening.

both windows will automatically roll up without me hitting any buttons. this is similar to holding the key in the door lock, but the key is in the ignition and the car is running.

previous to this happening, a door will open and close. the door locks are toggled with the switch in the dash, but i'm not sure if this is related.

afterwards, the windows do not respond to the buttons. i have to power-cycle the car, and open/close the doors for it to work again. i'm not sure which actually resets the problem yet.

IIRC the auto window roll-up feature is controlled by the comfort relay. it's never actually worked for me so i'm figuring this is a short in the module that's gotten progressively worse.

has anyone else experienced something similar?

John Firestone
06-28-2005, 11:58 AM
I don't think later compacts have a comfort relay unless they have a folding fabric (California) roof. The function the comfort relay used to provide, power for 16 minutes after you switch off the ignition, was absorbed into the ZKE (central module). Some older style options such as a California roof (and the electric vent windows on my car) still require such a relay, but I am pretty sure the windows on your car don't. I believe all the electrical "heavy-lifting" is done within the ZKE.