PDA

View Full Version : Kumho vs Toyo

BMWVW
06-29-2005, 02:37 PM
Hi all,

I am trying to decide between the Toyo Proxes T1-S and Kumho Ecsta Supra 712 tyres - 225/45/17.

Main question is how do people find the handling on bad pavement. I had to replace two tyres last year and I didn't have a choice other than Toyo so now I have a pair of Toyos on the rear and Kumho Supra 711 on the front. On bad pavement, I have to fight the car, but I can't figure out if it is just the combination of the tyres and if I go with all Toyo I will be fine or if the Toyos are really the problem. The car used to pull on bad pavement with the Kumho, but mainly on tar lines. Now irregular road can be a mission to drive and actually a little scary when there is a rig next to you.

Cheers,
Paul.

bullmand
06-29-2005, 02:48 PM
Paul,
I've been running the Kumho 712s for a few years now and I haven't had any significant tramlining issues with them. The last time I replaced them I switched from 225 to 205 width. It seems like there's even less of this with the narrower tire. I've been happy with the Kumhos with the exception of some flat-spotting issues. They seem to be unusually susceptible to that.

nick_hegel
06-29-2005, 02:48 PM
I haven't had the Toyos, but I had the Kumhos (225/40ZR18's) on my car. They were okay in terms of handling and grip. I've heard the Toyos are better for that. The Kumhos wear better because they are a harder tire and that is why you lose in the handling.

adamud
06-29-2005, 03:42 PM
i have the kumho tires also. i drive extremely spiritly around town. they have held up great through 2 autocrosses with very little wear. they have been on my car for about 3 months and the performance is still great, but i have no clue about toyos.

ZeroG
06-29-2005, 04:33 PM
Hi all,

I am trying to decide between the Toyo Proxes T1-S and Kumho Ecsta Supra 712 tyres - 225/45/17.

Main question is how do people find the handling on bad pavement. I had to replace two tyres last year and I didn't have a choice other than Toyo so now I have a pair of Toyos on the rear and Kumho Supra 711 on the front. On bad pavement, I have to fight the car, but I can't figure out if it is just the combination of the tyres and if I go with all Toyo I will be fine or if the Toyos are really the problem. The car used to pull on bad pavement with the Kumho, but mainly on tar lines. Now irregular road can be a mission to drive and actually a little scary when there is a rig next to you.

Cheers,
Paul.

Paul,

I don't know how you even compare the two. I think the 712's suck. They are noise squeel alot and have no grip especially in the wet. The T1-S' on the hand are right up there with SO-3's.

The only kuhmo tires I might compare are the V700's vs. RA-1. Although they are racing compounds.

-Chad

Panzer_M
06-29-2005, 05:01 PM
i burnt through Kumhos 225/50/16 decent. Wet sucks bALLS. dry is has road noise but works. overall for the price they are good tires. don't pay more than 90$ for a Kumho 712 or more than 80 for a 711. Even those are too high in my opinion I payed last 77 for 711 and 84 for 712s\ locally

www.tires.com

good place to window shop for brands and sizes.

DeadpaN
06-29-2005, 05:02 PM
i just replaced some Toyo's with Pirellis Zero Nero 225/50/16 and i love them.
the Toyo's were grippy, but so fu c king noisy! :x
driving with the toyos was like driving over subway grating--->continously.
before the new Pirellis i thought maybe a cv joint was possible bad as well from all the g-dam vibration

bullmand
06-29-2005, 07:59 PM
Another thing to be aware of with the Kumho 712s is that in most sizes they come in two different compounds. The V rated ones are have a wear grade of 340 and the W rated are 280. I use the W rated and you have to push them pretty hard to get them to squeal. Rarely happens on the street and usually only when I'm going too fast in the slow parts at autocross.

BMWVW
06-29-2005, 09:26 PM
Hi everyone,

My apologies - I feel a bit stupid :rolleyes: ... I thought I have a good memory, but I have the Toyo Proxes 4 (not the T1-S).

Does that change anyones opinions?

Paul.

pdxmotorhead
06-29-2005, 11:25 PM
Proxes +4's are good quality long wearing performance sedan tire.

I ran them on a 69 911 and they were a great winter all around
tire here in wet oregon. The worked very well on the high camber
change rear like the 911 has. I wouldn't race on them... But for a
tough easy on the wallet perf tire they are very good.

Just my .02 bucks worth.

Dave

maurolin
06-30-2005, 01:25 AM
let me give you guys my 2 cents:

I work for tire kingdom, I have the 712's on the rear on the Ti, and they are the WORSE TIRES I HAVE EVER OWNED. (used to have the whole set) Toyos T1-S are'nt that great either. had them in my cabrio M3... they wear out quick and funny. but the Toyos RA1's are by far the best track tire on the market. So toyos are great... but try proxes etc... but if the choice between the 712 and the T1-s go TOYO

I am running currently on my M3 AND the fronts of the Ti YOKOHAMA AVS E100 and let me tell you people... W O W! WOW! those tires ARE AWESOME!!!! FOR THE SAME PRICE AS THE KUMHOS!!! I even have kumhos in the garage I won't use. and they are NEW.

I currently have some GOOD ALMOST NEW TIRES FOR SALE that I am not going to use... but local pickup is preffered.

245/40/17 EAGLE F1 1500 miles on them V Rated $120 for both
225/40/18 Kumho ecsta 711 300 miles on them $140 for both
245/40/18 Kumho Ecsta 712 ONLY 1 but NEVER USED $100
225/40/18 Kumho ecsta 712 70% left $60 for both+

Please don't respond to this on this thread tp prevent hijacking, just PM me. now back to the tire conversation:

if you can, go with yokos or BF Goodrich Sports. great tire too!.

mischief
06-30-2005, 03:18 AM
Hi all,

Cheers,
Paul.

sounds like you need a alignment
and check the tie-rod and ball joints for any play
my car was the same it would pull to one side
i have the Yokohama AVS dB S2 is the front the Continental ContiSportContact 2 in the rear
the continental grip really good in dry and summer

m44bimmer
06-30-2005, 04:48 AM
Ive been running kuhmo ecsta hp4 there 42 dollars a pop at tirerack.com cant been the performance for your buck. They perform great anywhere in my opinon.