PDA

View Full Version : Stromung/Supersprint Comparison

moku
06-30-2005, 06:25 AM
I've seen various threads discussing the differences between the Stromung and Supersprint cat-back exhausts and various debates over which one is better. Almost every person prefers their setup over the other, for obvious reasons, but I have yet to see anyone who has had first-hand experience with both exhausts on their car. Well, I may be the first person who has.

I had originally purchased the Stromung from Chris at Understeer because I was trying to copy the setup that he has on his wife's 318ti. But after installing it, I found it to be a little too aggressive for my taste. So, I swapped it out for a Supersprint with a single tip.

Both exhausts have a certain appeal, and below you'll find the differences that I found between them. Please understand that the information below is based on my experience and opinion. You may or may not agree with it, and that's okay. I just wanted to provide information that might prove helpful for someone debating between these 2 exhausts.

Construction
Stromung
The Stromung exhaust has a nice silver, stainless steel finish throughout. Everything from the C-pipe to the tip has the same finish. All the welds are cleanly done and the construction feels solid. There is no pre-muffler along the C-pipe. It has a 3.5" tip that isn't resonated with a direct 2" inlet from the muffler. The overall weight is lighter than stock.

Supersprint
The Supersprint has a stainless steel construction with a black coating throughout, with the exception of the tip, which is chrome. All the welds are clean and the construction feels solid. There is a pre-muffler along the C-pipe. It has a 3.5"x2.5" square-like, slanted tip that is resonated with a 2" inlet. The overall weight is about the same as stock, so no weight-savings.

Installation
Both exhausts are relatively simple to install. One difference between them is that the Stromung fits up closely against the sub-frame and can rattle, while the Supersprint hangs a little lower and slightly reduces your underside clearance.

Sound
Stromung
The Stromung exhaust is very loud when it's first installed. It has a low, deep growl at idle that climbs up during acceleration, and booms at wide-open-throttle. After breaking in the exhaust, it's not nearly as loud. Only at wide-open-throttle (particularly between 2500-3000 RPM) was it still loud. The sound is aggressive, but may be a bit loud to some. Accelerating from a full stop, I was able to cause a few car alarms to chirp or go off. At cruising speed, there is a slight drone. On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being stock and 10 being loud and ricey, the Stromung rates at about a 5 at idle and 8 during acceleration.

Supersprint
The Supersprint exhaust is not loud at all. It has a nice, low growl at idle that continues up during acceleration, but then tapers off. At wide-open-throttle, it has a light growl that's a little deeper than stock. The sound isn't very aggressive, but is definitely beefier than stock. Accelerating from a full stop, I was able to chirp one car, but did not set off any alarms. At cruising speed, there is little sound at all. On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being stock and 10 being loud and ricey, the Supersprint rates at about a 3 at idle and 5 during acceleration.

Please note that because I have a DASC, the sound of the exhausts may have been slightly louder than a stock engine.

Performance
I did not dyno my car with either exhaust, so I do not have any numbers to report, but I did notice a very slight difference in performance. The Stromung seemed to offer a little more punch at higher speeds and RPM. While the Supersprint seemed to offer a little extra power throughout the powerband. Neither exhaust appeared to offer substantial increase in power or performance. I might say they offered mild improvement, at best.

Conclusion
Stromung
This is a fun and aggressive exhaust. I love it's deep, rumbling tone, but find it to be a bit too loud during acceleration. If you prefer to always hear your exhaust, then the Stromung is perfect for you.

Supersprint
This exhaust is mild-mannered and slightly deeper in tone compared to stock. If you're looking for an exhaust that sounds better than stock and doesn't call attention to itself, then you may want to get a Supersprint.

Overall, both are well-constructed and may improve performance slightly (maybe 5HP, if that). You really can't go wrong with either one, but your preference in sound and weight may sway you to choose one over the other.

nick_hegel
06-30-2005, 02:20 PM
Awesome post! This should be a sticky for people looking for exhaust.

L84THSKY
06-30-2005, 02:29 PM
I have the Stromung, and found your description of it very accurate.....good job. :_paper:

Panzer_M
06-30-2005, 04:39 PM
please post a pic of the stromung.

The Super-spring looks bulker than the stromung

and I think the Stromung is 24lbs.

moku
06-30-2005, 05:42 PM
Thanks guys. Hopefully people will find it helpful.

I'm going to try to add some pictures to my post later, for reference.

gooten1
07-01-2005, 02:13 PM
I have the SuperSprint, and wasn't quite satisfied with the sound, so I had a friend remove my catalytic converter. Good thing I don't have to pass emissions, but it makes the sound a bit better, slightly louder during acceleration, but no where near obnoxious. I still don't hear it during highway driving unless I punch it, and then it is smooth. I'd say on that loudness scale, it's a 3 during cruise, and a 6 under accel.

myblueTI
07-05-2005, 05:55 AM
Very good post, and i also think it should be a sticky so that people know where to find a comparison on the two different exhausts. I have the supersprint and i would do it again if i had to do it over

barische
07-29-2005, 01:54 AM
i installed my remus exhasut today and its loud. much more louder than stock, im also happy that it doesnt sound like a ricer, uits more like a v8 engine at idle then at accelaration its a bit alouder than stock so im very pleased with it. i got the remus used from some guy for 200. and he said it had only 10,000 miles on it, so im guessing its already broken in, but i dunno if the sound will change or not, either way im satisfied with it. i would really recommend it.

bimmerboi318
07-30-2005, 12:03 AM
Nice post. I've got a Stromung and that's a dead on description.

Platanos
07-30-2005, 01:49 AM
This is why you guys rock :rockon:

I needed someone to tell me the difference and you did it!! Now i have an idea which I wanna get.....supersprint :)

I have an automatic....will the description be the same?

moku
07-31-2005, 08:06 PM
I have an automatic, so my write-up directly applies to you as well. Although the fact that I have a DASC may have made it slightly louder than stock.

But overall, transmission shouldn't make a difference. If anything, it may be quieter since automatics usually don't rev as high through the gears.

Viper3812
08-12-2005, 12:20 AM

I have an automatic and the description is the same with the Supersprint. I just ordered my Stromung today and can't wait to get it and hear it with my Supersprint mid pipe.

moku
01-06-2006, 08:28 AM
It's been 6 months since switching from the Stromung to the Supersprint and I've noticed that the tone of the exhaust has changed. It's a little louder and has a really nice, low rumble to it, but it's still not as loud as the Stromung. On the downside, I've noticed that because it hangs lower, I scrape more often than I did with the Stromung. Despite the occasional scrape, I'm still very happy with the Supersprint.

pi4ovete_84
02-21-2011, 02:55 AM
thank you guys for the info. I know it's a old thread but any body know from where can I find a mid pipe?

Platanos
02-21-2011, 03:17 AM
lol, I like seeing old threads. It means you did some searching. I also like to see my old posts and how much of a newb i was..lol

What type of midsection you looking for? Do you already have a cat back? I've had both, first the stromung and currently a supersprint. I liked the stromung better because of the deeper note, there was some droning on the highways but I got used to it.

slow_ti
02-21-2011, 03:23 AM
I'm rolling a supersprint with no resonator. It's not really all the loud. I was expecting a louder note. Is there anyway I could make it louder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pi4ovete_84
02-21-2011, 04:48 AM
lol, I like seeing old threads. It means you did some searching. I also like to see my old posts and how much of a newb i was..lol

What type of midsection you looking for? Do you already have a cat back? I've had both, first the stromung and currently a supersprint. I liked the stromung better because of the deeper note, there was some droning on the highways but I got used to it.

hi, actually I'm currently trying to decide which cat back to buy:) I guess I'll go for the stromung( first I really liked how it sounds on those vids at understeer.com and I like the price too:) What do you mean droning? I usually go about 2 times to Florida every year with the car, and that's a looooong ride from chicago. Do you think the stromung is too loud on the highway? I don't have lsd, so with 75mph it's like around 3700rpm.
also is there any point of removing the cat, does it make any performance gains, i know it is the biggest restriction on the exhaust system. I now some guys that can put cat simulator on the mid pipe and I'll not have cel on.

ChItalian1027
02-24-2011, 01:13 AM
All you will do by removing the Cat is free up more air for the engine to exhale better. You'll make your car sound a little louder then normal, but it won't really do any performance gains like that at most maybe like 1-2hp gain. If you want to get really crazy you remove both the cat and resonator and make your car real loud.

By drone they mean like different pitches. With my Stromung I've gotten used to the drone that I don't even notice it anymore.

familytruckster
02-24-2011, 01:38 AM
I'm rolling a supersprint with no resonator. It's not really all the loud. I was expecting a louder note. Is there anyway I could make it louder?

trade for my stromung!

slow_ti
02-24-2011, 01:38 AM
All you will do by removing the Cat is free up more air for the engine to exhale better. You'll make your car sound a little louder then normal, but it won't really do any performance gains like that at most maybe like 1-2hp gain. If you want to get really crazy you remove both the cat and resonator and make your car real loud.

By drone they mean like different pitches. With my Stromung I've gotten used to the drone that I don't even notice it anymore.

Doesn't removing a cat on a naturally aspirated car make it lose power? Not enough back pressure? Especially on these 4 bangers? Lol

ChItalian1027
02-24-2011, 01:49 AM
Doesn't removing a cat on a naturally aspirated car make it lose power? Not enough back pressure? Especially on these 4 bangers? Lol

I would think so, I think it would also take your car a little longer to warm up with no cat. Could be wrong on it warming up longer.

slow_ti
02-24-2011, 01:51 AM
Im just gonna do a new muffler. Haha. Want my supersprint? Lol

Platanos
02-24-2011, 01:59 AM
trade for my stromung!

You want a supersprint? I might trade....

zoner
02-24-2011, 02:13 AM

Yes! Buy this: http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=32605 :wink:

slow_ti
02-24-2011, 03:26 AM
Yes! Buy this: http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=32605 :wink:

Maybe. If I don't get a stromung, but I'm not really looking to spend anymore money on exhaust. Haha. At least not right now.

pi4ovete_84
02-24-2011, 07:39 AM
I would think so, I think it would also take your car a little longer to warm up with no cat. Could be wrong on it warming up longer.

Yes you are right, it really takes longer for the car to warm up, in this Chicago winters I don't want that :)
I guess just cat-back is enough.

dpac905
05-19-2011, 11:10 PM
thanks for the info! awesome post and really gave me a good honest opinion on how the exhausts are! def saved me some time researching crappy youtube vids on these two.

slow_ti
05-19-2011, 11:27 PM
Me having done the supersprint w/ no resonator an the stromung, I prefer the stromung. It really is a great exhaust. Sounds good too. But not loud enough for my 16 year old standards lll.

dpac905
05-19-2011, 11:37 PM
dude you're so talkin me into that stromung! gah its still not lettin me pm! fml lol