PDA

View Full Version : Weak bass

twentysixknots
06-30-2005, 05:56 PM
Hey folks -
I'm not happy with the bass response out of the stock ti stereo- I have a 98 Active with I think 10 speakers. I'm not into thumping bass that you can hear coming a mile away, but I would like to clean up the muddy bass in the car.

Has anyone installed an inexpensive subwoofer? I don't really want to pay $500 for the BAVAUTO ones - $200 would seem more like it.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!
-C

m44ic
06-30-2005, 06:26 PM
Hey folks -
I'm not happy with the bass response out of the stock ti stereo- I have a 98 Active with I think 10 speakers. I'm not into thumping bass that you can hear coming a mile away, but I would like to clean up the muddy bass in the car.

Has anyone installed an inexpensive subwoofer? I don't really want to pay $500 for the BAVAUTO ones - $200 would seem more like it.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!
-C

you are going to want a single 10' woofer, for a small to medium amount of clean bass. I would go to your local stereo store and tell them what you want. I recommend apline, boston acoustics, JL, MTX, eclipse.

tonymasone
06-30-2005, 07:03 PM
ya, just stick with one 10", i have 2 Rockford Fosgate Stage 3 subs on a Punch 10002 series amp, and it's wayyyyy too loud for comfortable listening, im actually going to sell the amp and one of the 10"'s and go with one 10" and a smaller amp, stick with a 10" and a few hundred watts would be more than enough

twentysixknots
06-30-2005, 11:30 PM
you are going to want a single 10' woofer, for a small to medium amount of clean bass. I would go to your local stereo store and tell them what you want. I recommend apline, boston acoustics, JL, MTX, eclipse.

Sweet - this site Rocks!
Thanks for the voice of experience!

tonymasone
06-30-2005, 11:34 PM
hey if you want, click on the link in my post that says "My 318ti" you can scroll down and see my speaker setup

twentysixknots
06-30-2005, 11:41 PM
hey if you want, click on the link in my post that says "My 318ti" you can scroll down and see my speaker setup

yeah, wow... that looks powerful!

well I think that's what I was trying to avoid though - I really want to use my trunk on a regular basis. Looks cool though - does it rattle the hatchback?
-C

clex2
07-01-2005, 02:06 AM
If you still want a useable trunk, consider the Woox from Kenwood. I got mine for $150 and mounted on a custom piece of fiber board which hooks into the floor where the rubber straps would go. More than enough bass for my taste. I think a newer version of the Woox has come out.

http://www.318ti.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=26&cat=500&page=1

twentysixknots
07-01-2005, 02:57 AM
If you still want a useable trunk, consider the Woox from Kenwood. I got mine for $150 and mounted on a custom piece of fiber board which hooks into the floor where the rubber straps would go. More than enough bass for my taste. I think a newer version of the Woox has come out.

http://www.318ti.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=26&cat=500&page=1

---- BINGO !!! ----
That's exactly what I'm looking for - very neat installation, priced right too.
You made the fiber board mount?? I could handle that job if I could find the material. I'm off to look for more info on the Woox - very cool!
-C

clex2
07-01-2005, 03:09 AM
26knots,

Use some contruction paper and make a template for the shape of the fiber board you want. It should follow the countour of the side of the trunk. I had a shop cut it for me since they'll probably used a scrap piece and I didn't have a band saw. Cost me 20 bucks, including the black felt material that they gave me to cover it with. I used 3M spray adhesive for that part. Then find 2 screws that can hook into the holes in the floor where the rubber straps normally go and put them into the bottom of the board. Mount the Woox and hook the board to the floor and there you have it.

New Woox
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Tm4qfztTfVr/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=51000&I=113KSCSW1

Clarion Unit
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Tm4qfztTfVr/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=51000&I=020SRV303

Do some web searching and you should get some better prices.

twentysixknots
07-01-2005, 03:28 AM
Clex2
Thanks for the details - looks simple enough, and I work for a bandsaw company (Lenox) so that's not a problem :)

The new Woox is all over ebay for under $170 - tag on shipping and I could have it here for 200. It's a little bigger than the old one, and I trust Kenwood has made some other improvements along the way with this killer app.

Hey sorry to go off subject, but where did you get all the Carbon for your ti? That is intense! I just installed a CF/Chrome shifter knob from Bavauto - as $$ becomes available I wanted to do the hand brake too.

-26kts

clex2
07-01-2005, 03:36 AM
Most of the CF work was custom, as this was Rogue Engineering's "show" car for a while. You don't see ti center consoles in CF as you do the other e36's. But there are guys out there who will make them for you. One such guy is John Kamler at http://axispowerracing.com/about.html. He made CF mirror sail panels for me. Top notch.

clex2
07-01-2005, 03:39 AM
26kts,

The new one appears to be bigger. Make sure it will fit. The old Woox is a sure fit, cuz I did it. The old woox is even cheaper on ebay..$130.

twentysixknots
07-02-2005, 05:40 AM
26kts,

The new one appears to be bigger. Make sure it will fit. The old Woox is a sure fit, cuz I did it. The old woox is even cheaper on ebay..$130.

ya know, I kind of like the look of the old one better anyway. I'll dig up the dimensions online for both, but I'm hedging towards the older one at this point.

Thanks for everything!
-26kts

twentysixknots
07-28-2005, 05:01 AM
I picked up a Woox (the older one) off ebay and it arrived today -

I'll be following Clex2's installation work for the most part - is there anyone out there that would like me to document the project in this thread (photos, schematics, etc?) Seems fairly straight forward, but I'm not sure yet how I'll run the remote or even where I'm going to tie into the existing speakers yet since I am only putting in one WOOX - for a Stereo system. I'm wondering if I need something else to get the bass from left & right sides into this thing, or if Bass is even split that way.

26kts

tonymasone
07-28-2005, 05:13 AM
Tell me the following...

1) What is your head unit (the cd player up front) I need a specific model to help a lot
2) What kind of amp do you have for the subs? another needed model to help out
3) How many subs are you putting in the trunk

let me know those 3 things and i can tell you exactly what you will need.

twentysixknots
08-03-2005, 05:07 AM
Thanks -
1. It's the stock head unit that came with the 98 318ti. I don't know if I can find any more info than that, but I'll look at it closer tomorrow.
2. I'm installing the WOOX, which has a built in amplifier and a wired remote.
3. Just the one Woox to get some more bass - will that work ok?

I don't know if I gave you enough to go on. Let me know if not.
Thanks again for your help. I haven't had time to look at it yet.

tonymasone
08-03-2005, 05:22 AM
it should be ok, i don't know if the built in amp has a "low pass filter" but you need that basically it only sends bass frequency to the speaker and no high, therefore making the speaker sound better by doing what it does best, make bass not high treble

clex2
08-03-2005, 05:27 AM

Follow the instructions from the Woox. Your factory HU does not have RCA outs, just speaker level outs to the speakers themselves. Therefore, according to the instructions, you will need to tap into the rear speaker wires (both sides)for the speaker level input to the woox (there is a specific harness for this included with the Woox). Run the wires under the rear hatch carpet.

You will also need to run the remote wire and power/on wires to the front of the car. This requires you to remove the rear seat and drivers side rear side bolster to access the cable path to the front. You can slip wires in under the plastic trim running over the door sill carpet. Remove the underside of the drivers dash and also the glove box. You can put the remote in the cubby hole in front of the ashtray (double sided tape into position). the remote wire will squeeze in between the a/c control panel and the lower center console. You don't have to cut anything. Wire up the power and on signal wires to the appropriate wires (A Bentely manual helps you identify wires by their colors). That should do it. And yes, one subwoofer is enough. Our ears cannot spacially separate low frequencies (below 60 Hz), so there is no such thing as Stereo subwoofers for humans.

Elchocador
01-15-2011, 03:12 AM
Tell me the following...

1) What is your head unit (the cd player up front) I need a specific model to help a lot
2) What kind of amp do you have for the subs? another needed model to help out
3) How many subs are you putting in the trunk

let me know those 3 things and i can tell you exactly what you will need.

I just installed a new pioneer head unit. Wired it in. I'm looking for a little more bass also. The woox looks cool and may work well. How/where do you wire it in too. Do you tap the bmw amp in the back???

I just want a little more "tight" bass, not the boomer stuff. I'm unclear on how to wire it in.

anthony318ti
01-15-2011, 03:16 AM
Change out your stock subs for some aftermarket ones. They are located just beside your feet on both driver and passenger sides. If you want a bit more midrange change out the two low pass speakers at the back left and right side of the back seats. But nice subs would do it nicely hehehehe