PDA

View Full Version : Problems With The Steering

HUGO E. CONTRERAS
07-01-2005, 12:24 PM
Dear Friends:

I am writing from La Paz, Bolivia (above 11,000 ft.) when I have my 1995 ti Sport Package, U.S. version. I noticed some problems when I try to move the steering wheel (for instance, when I tried to take a simple curve or when I try to change the lane). In the authorized BMW service in La Paz, they told me I need to replace the "steering arm" (literally translated from Spanish "brazo de dirección"), the cost is very expensive in Bolivia (around US $ 1500.00).

I need your advice to solve the proble...or to buy the part in a reasonable price.

Thanks a lot,

Hugo

1996 328ti
07-01-2005, 12:31 PM
That does sound expensive. I wonder if the translation is actually steering rack?
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=CG71&mospid=47455&btnr=32_0636&hg=32&fg=10
In the US that would be roughly $868.00.
Can you find a used one somewhere?
I think the rack from a Z3 would also fit.

cali-ti
07-01-2005, 01:31 PM
that was my thought too as it was the only thing i could even imagine would cost that much! getting a used one would certainly be a cheaper option (especially if you can do the work yourself). how many salvaged bmw's do you have down in bolivia? we could most likely do some part cross-referencing to see what racks from other models could be used (as i don't imagine 318ti's are going to be available in large numbers).

EDIT: what about a complete flush and fill of the steering fluid? have they tried this first? might be worth trying first. my shop did this for mine and had to do some serious flushing to get the old junk out of there before it would operate nice and smooth.