PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting the Cams

gooten1
07-01-2005, 03:40 PM
A while back, on another forum, I read about adjusting the cams to get more power out of the M42 motor. I believe it was +5 degrees on the intake side.

1. Correct me if I'm wrong.
2. Would this work for the M44?

I asked this same question elsewhere, and never got an answer. If no one knows, I'd like to put my car up on a dyno somewhere and then do the change, then dyno again to see what happens. Anyone interested?

Dusty
07-01-2005, 04:34 PM
I have an M44 also and I would like to find out how to get more power besides getting a DASC (can't afford it right now).

mischief
07-01-2005, 05:41 PM
the m42 and m44 are the same it should work i dont see why not

gooten1
07-01-2005, 09:53 PM
Well, I will be doing this soon. If anyone wants to come, I'll post again giving an approx. time and location, so you can check it out for yourself. Of course, I'll post the results. What would be a downside of this?

ZeroG
07-01-2005, 10:26 PM
I pursed a few posts about this on Bimmerforums.

I know the M42 for sure wa lucky and had factory adjustable cam sprockets. I know that by7 changing the cam timing you can increase low end torque, but you will sacrifice top end HP in the process. I don't know what degrees you can go to or if the process is hard.

I know that you will need a few special tools, a degree wheel, this device that allows you to lock the cams in place why you make the adjustment. You haveto be very careful and know what you are doing as if you mess the timing up you can cause serrious internal damage.

-Chad

robcarync
07-01-2005, 10:40 PM
what exactly is a cam?

i most likely wont be doing this mod, but i figured id at least learn about cams to figure out exactly what they are

m44ic
07-01-2005, 11:36 PM
what exactly is a cam?

i most likely wont be doing this mod, but i figured id at least learn about cams to figure out exactly what they are

A camshaft is a rod that is turned by a chain or belt that is connected to the crankshaft. The cam is a rod that has different egg shaped lobes on it that open and close the valves which allow air and fuel to enter and exit the engine. our engines have 2 cams one is for all the intake valves and the other is for the exhuast valves.

hope this helps, Im always willing to teach people who want to learn about cars :)