PDA

View Full Version : A Newbie...Should I buy this car?

jjseid
07-09-2005, 10:31 AM
Hi!

I just moved here to Longview, Texas from Chicago and I am wondering if this '95 318ti is a good buy, priced at $6,000 with 115,000 miles on it (see link below). Are there any red flags? What do you guys think? The price seems reasonable. I really appreciate any input.

Thanks again, J.J.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=185147446&dealer_id=43606718&car_year=1995&make=BMW&distance=300&lang=en&max_price=7000&model=318TI&end_year=1995&min_price=3000&certified=&address=75607&search_type=both&advanced=&start_year=1995&isp=y&cardist=132

Here are the specs if the link doesn't work:

Price: $5,995
Body Style: Hatchback
Mileage 115,000
Exterior Color Black with Red Leather
Interior Color Red
Engine 4 Cylinder Gasoline
Transmission Manual
Drive Type 2 wheel drive
Fuel Type Gasoline
Stereo AM/FM Stereo Tape
Doors Two Door
Stock No. 95BMW318TI
VIN WBACG5324SAM51350

1995 BMW 318ti with Manual Transmission - Red Leather Interior - 32 MPG - Many Extras - Cold A/C - Great Sport Coupe - Internet Special - 90 DAY WARRANTY INCLUDED - Clean Title and Clean CarFax Report - All Vehicles are shown by appointment at your convenience - please, call in advance at 972-679-1782 or at the 800 number listed above. My name is Wayne and I look forward to hearing from you!

Driver Air Bag; Anti-Lock Brakes; Air Conditioning; Alloy Wheels; Cruise Control; Passenger Air Bag; Rear Window Defroster; Leather Seats; Power Door Locks; Power Mirrors; Power Windows; Power Steering; Tinted Glass; Tilt Wheel;

1996 328ti
07-09-2005, 10:58 AM
I've never seen those seats in a ti and doubt if it his tilt steering.
I am not a fan of the fK&N filter especially since I did not notice a heat shield.

I don't know. The interior is a bit bright for me.

jjseid
07-09-2005, 11:40 AM
I really appreciate that input. Putting aesthetics aside (and the apparently swapped seats), do those bits of tampering ever give a hint as to whether the car's a lemon or not? That's really my ultimate concern -- wondering if the specs somehow mysteriously give any insight into whether or not the car was well-taken care of...

As someone mostly ignorant of cars, it is between this or a 96-98 Honda Civic, which are similarly priced, and would be dependable (according to Consumer Reports studies, anyway). Obviously this has the potential to be a lot more fun... Is it worth the investment for a poor young dude about to get married, or should I play it safe and choose the dependable but frumpy Civic instead? Are the chances high that I will have to dump money into the 318ti? I know ya'll are biased, but I really DO want to be talked into this! I need to live a little...

1996 328ti
07-09-2005, 02:08 PM
Look through our for sale section to get an idea what people have been asking. There is nothing that is glaring to be a problem.

http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?p=28025
Although it is an automatic it looks like a beauty.

There are known problems which many of us just accept.
If I was buying a used car I would expect to replace rear shock mount bushings and possibly other worn bushings. When the windows are lowered and raised look at the inside door panel to see if they bulge. This is an indication of a possible bent window regulator. The previous owner was into mods. Clear corners, blacked out kidney grill and strut brace. Nothing necessarily bad unless he neglected the maintanence intervals.

The good side is these cars are reliable, maybe not as much as a Honda.
With a Honda all you need is to put in gas. BMWs require a little more maintanence in that parts have a much closer tolerance. Many of us have high mileage cars and they still handle like the did when they left Germany.

We are all biased here and love these cars. There are issues that we are not afraid to talk about. With this car I'd want to see maintanence records. And always pay for a pre-purchase inspection.

GREX1969
07-09-2005, 02:21 PM
Never seen an interior that colour although the seats look like the standard BMW sports version. Have they been re-trimmed - must have cost a bit?

Why is the wheel/tyre photo taken of a VW alloy wheel?

bmwracerchick
07-09-2005, 03:14 PM
Why is the wheel/tyre photo taken of a VW alloy wheel?

lol that is what I was trying to figure out.....

I would definetly look into that white ti being sold. Gorgeous car. And welcome to the forums. BTW im sure you could find a nice ti with lower miles and cheaper then that one if you looked a little more.....

Have you ever driven a ti yet?

LOL and i have to put this one. You could be the lucky owner of another Cordobarot Metallic ti along with me extremly rare to see. its $6,995 but with only has 61,434 miles on it. My car is at the same mileage point and no major problems at all have come to poke its evil head....except for the damn ABS light....Although its a automatic, I dont know if that is something your against. Just figure I would help out.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=184105910&dealer_id=1378000&car_year=1995&make=BMW&distance=0&lang=en&max_price=7000&model=318TI&end_year=1995&min_price=3000&certified=&address=75607&search_type=both&advanced=&start_year=1995&isp=y&cardist=null#vdptop

It also gives you an idea on how you can find a good deal on low mileages. Just keep looking and post if you see something of interest. We will give you our voice on it.

myblueTI
07-09-2005, 04:11 PM
If i was you i would look into the white Ti because you know that is well taken care of and it already has many of the parts that you need. The red interior is kind of sketchy to me but if you like it go for it. But keep looking and welcome to the site.

mickd
07-09-2005, 04:57 PM
I really appreciate that input. Putting aesthetics aside (and the apparently swapped seats), do those bits of tampering ever give a hint as to whether the car's a lemon or not? That's really my ultimate concern -- wondering if the specs somehow mysteriously give any insight into whether or not the car was well-taken care of...

As someone mostly ignorant of cars, it is between this or a 96-98 Honda Civic, which are similarly priced, and would be dependable (according to Consumer Reports studies, anyway). Obviously this has the potential to be a lot more fun... Is it worth the investment for a poor young dude about to get married, or should I play it safe and choose the dependable but frumpy Civic instead? Are the chances high that I will have to dump money into the 318ti? I know ya'll are biased, but I really DO want to be talked into this! I need to live a little...
The seats are factory BMW sport seats with the fabric center and leather side bolsters. If you like the interior, I would say it's a good deal. Since the car is local I would have it checked out by a dealer.

jjseid
07-10-2005, 12:21 AM
The seats are factory BMW sport seats with the fabric center and leather side bolsters. If you like the interior, I would say it's a good deal. Since the car is local I would have it checked out by a dealer.

Thanks! A dealer actually IS selling it at Reid Automotive in Irving, TX and says it checks out clean. Yeah, I don't know what's up with the VW rim; that's a little goofy.

jjseid
07-10-2005, 12:27 AM
lol that is what I was trying to figure out.....

I would definetly look into that white ti being sold. Gorgeous car. And welcome to the forums. BTW im sure you could find a nice ti with lower miles and cheaper then that one if you looked a little more.....

Have you ever driven a ti yet?

My car is at the same mileage point and no major problems at all have come to poke its evil head....except for the damn ABS light....Although its a automatic, I dont know if that is something your against. Just figure I would help out.

It also gives you an idea on how you can find a good deal on low mileages. Just keep looking and post if you see something of interest. We will give you our voice on it.

Thanks! You're a very gracious gal. Yeah, the white ti is a beauty, but to me, an automatic transmission on a BMW is like a pimple on a prom queen... so out of place, you know? Which stinks, because 80% of the cars I've found have been automatics. Makes it even tougher to find a good one...

So you think I should wait and see what other cars might pop up, eh? I really appreciate that advice. I'm prone to jump the gun, but if you think there are better deals, then maybe I'll wait. It just seemed to be so competitively priced that I thought I needed to snap it up...

roadrash
07-10-2005, 02:15 AM
So you think I should wait and see what other cars might pop up, eh? I really appreciate that advice. I'm prone to jump the gun, but if you think there are better deals, then maybe I'll wait. It just seemed to be so competitively priced that I thought I needed to snap it up...

Well, a "good deal" is sort of subjective. My advice is to not settle for a car that you don't like everything about (including the color of the seats). If the price is low, but you don't like everything about the car, it's not much of a deal, IMO.

That's why I don't own a 318ti yet... I'm not willing to settle. :)

Happy shopping! Oh, and don't you dare buy the car _I_ want. LOL

JMJ

jjseid
07-10-2005, 02:58 AM
Thanks bro! I appreciate the input.

jflip2002
07-10-2005, 03:16 AM
Id offer $500 more for that white TI. Youre both in Texas, it looks like it has a good amount of mods, and it looks way cleaner than that red inteior.. even though he didnt mention what color his seats are. Its really just a matter of personal preference, but I think the white TI is all over the one with the red interior

jjseid
07-10-2005, 09:40 AM
Yeah, but it's STILL an automatic. I'd buy it in a New York minute if it was a stick... Ain't that always the way?...

roadrash
07-10-2005, 07:49 PM
I hear ya on the automatic vs. manual transmission. I've had a 5-speed for far too long to consider going back to an automatic without a fight. :)

BTW... you might want to post your "wish list" here. Since I'm shopping too, I'd be glad to point you towards anything that might be a candidate for you. heh heh Unless of course, your list matches mine. Oh, and let me know if you need carfax reports.

This is my shopping thread. (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5402)

Ciao,

JMJ

robcarync
07-10-2005, 10:33 PM
i have a 95 ti...and ive actually had several problems with it :( most people here havent had any problems, but i just got unlucky. not trying to disuade you or anything, but it is possible to have problems with it...im lucky...im 18 and my pops pays the repair bills on the car. it also helps if you learn to do some normal maintenance yourself...because the cost adds up if you take it to the dealer for everything, even as minor as an oil change (dont do that anymore...learned to do some stuff myself now...saves money, and is more fun)

as for auto V. stick...i have an auto...and kinda regret it. when i picked out the car, i just learned how to drive on an auto, and didnt even consider a manual transmission...damn...what the hell was i thinking?!

so moral of the post...it is possible to have problems...but my experience DEFINENTLY doesnt seem to be the norm around here...

JPerfect
07-11-2005, 12:53 AM
I have a black on black 95' M42 Ti, exactly like the one pictured (minus the red interior, of course. I really like the red door designs, as well as the shifter and ebrake boot... I think that car would be killer if the leather on the seats, front and back, was left black. Red cloth centers look clutch IMO, and i'm thinking of doing that to the interior of my Ti.

I really love the car, but I don't love when things break... but that goes along with all cars that are 10 years old creeping on 100k miles. Thank god for my DIY attitude, patient father, and these forums. The forums have helped me with all of my problems and issues.

Happy hunting.

Jeff