PDA

View Full Version : Annoying problem Please Help Me

manhands78
07-13-2005, 08:35 PM
Can anyone help me when any idea they might have. I have posted this sometime ago but it wasn't very helpful. The mechanic I have isn't taking the problem very seriously and it is annoying me to know end.

my four problems are as following and i don't know if they are related.

1. Radio - my car has an after market radio that is maybe 3 to 4 yrs old. It quit on me one day the display dyed and then a few days later the radio/cd just quit. So i thought that the radio was dead or needed a new fuse. I checked the fuse (and so did my mechanic last time I was there) and they all appear fine. Then one day I was driving and my radio just started working again for about 2 mins then quit again. My radio will be dead for like 2 wks then come on for like 5 mins. then quit again. The mechanic has checked the wiring from the box to the radio and has said it was the radio, I go the radio instal checked and they said it was the radio. I am yet to have the radio itself checked to see if it works when hooked up to something else.

2. Tacomeater (Rev meter) When i purchased the car the tac would sometimes completely dye. The car runs find you just need to listen to the car. The tac will most of the time work find (75%) and the other 25% it is completely dead. Usually before it quits the tac (not engine) starts flying all over the place going all the way to zero then all the way off the scale and back and forth than quit. Then it will lye there dead for 1hr or so then come flying back to life like nothing happened.

3. The themostat on the dash. The engine runs fine but somtimes i will start up the engine and the temostat will just not come one it will lye there at (cold) even after driving around for 30 mins it is clearly not moving. then it will come back to life either while i'm driving or next time I start up my car.

4 Engine stats gauge below the odometer (green yellow lights) usually the this indicator should come one when you first start up the car then disappear after 30 secs. but sometimes (at the same time the themostat is not working) it will remain on (inidicator).

As of late the taco, themostat, and engine indicator have been going at all at once usually upon start up. All this time the radio is dead most of the time except for the odd time it comes back to life.

socal318ti
07-13-2005, 09:22 PM
1. If you have the chance and the ability, hook the radio up to another car. If not, it might be something shorting out inside of the radio causing it to randomly turn on and off. I know you had the mechanic check the wiring for the radio, but have you tried hooking it up to another constatn 12v source?

2. I had the same problem in my old trooper with the tach. After lots of checking around it turned out be a sensor wire that was shorting out and causing the tach to behave oddly.

3. Have you thought of checking the thermosatat? It might be bad?

4. Sometimes my car does this after I turn it off and then turn in back on rather quickly.

Overall I would have someone check out the wiring in your car and see if any of the lines are shorting out any place.