PDA

View Full Version : Where do u & Where Would u Want to Live?

stormos
07-19-2005, 01:39 PM
Couldn't resist starting this thread....

Well i live in England, UK and it sucks! it's cold/wet most of the year, taxes are high and the motorist is the tax man's number 1 enemy.

I can't wait till i can afford to move abroad!!! Aus or US are #1 favourites

Need a double garage for the cars though and a pool :)

Nick.

stormos
07-19-2005, 01:40 PM
oh yeah, place called staines in the UK... no jokes about a certain film eh.... "In Da House"

tEso
07-19-2005, 01:54 PM
AYYYYY In Da house is gr8.. ! staines 2 looks nice in the movie.. !
I'd love to live in Germany (munich)near the Bmws or in the US.. !
maybe Monaco for sometime its a gr8 place ... !

nick_hegel
07-19-2005, 03:11 PM
I live in Minnesota and will always stay here. But if I was filthy rich, I would love to have homes in Spain/Southern France. Austria, and Germany(Near Munich).

GREX1969
07-19-2005, 03:56 PM
Well i live in England, UK and it sucks! it's cold/wet most of the year, taxes are high and the motorist is the tax man's number 1 enemy.
Nick.

I'm with you Nick. Really getting fed up with this country. Went to California for 3 weeks in April and loved every minute of it. Would love to move to San Francisco, but it seems impossible to get a visa unless I get a company to sponsor (or I have millions of pounds?) :ashamed:
I Live in Bath which is a very historical and beautiful place (world heritage site), but everything is so expensive and the government is always trying to get us off the road (high taxes, high fuel costs, strict vehicle licencing, mobile/fixed speed cameras everywhere etc).
Might consider moving to somewhere else in Europe - Spain or Italy looks cool.

ZeroG
07-19-2005, 04:00 PM
I live in Los Angeles, CA. The San Fernando Valley to be more specific.

I would like eventually move to San Diego, CA

-Chad

Panzer_M
07-19-2005, 04:40 PM
I live in Central Florida.

maybe Texas move back to Northern Germany, near Hamburg.

stormos
07-19-2005, 05:02 PM
same reasons here really Grex.

i went to Bath recently to do a network install as i am an engineer always on the road. Very nice place.

Ideally i'd choose the US but Aus is tempting, but either way these places require certain skill sets. I am currently studying for the next cisco qual known as CCVP Voice Professional so that should give the visa applications some serious backing.

Tyler
07-19-2005, 05:16 PM
I live in RI,originally from Boston just moved to RI last year. In about 3 years i will be joining most of my family that lives in Hawaii. Hopefully when that happens my ti will still be ticking. Nice drive cross country then have it shipped out on a boat from cali.

MEDIA PUSHER"
07-19-2005, 05:34 PM
I live in the northern-most part of SanDiego county California. Somewhere between Encinitas and Carlsbad. Its beautiful, more people move to Carlsbad to die ("fastest growing retirement community") than anywhere else in the US. I like it well enough, its made me realize that i couldn't be complete living far from a coastline, maybe i'll return. I love travel but i haven't seen enough of the world to know where i'd want to spend my life. On my last trip Spain captured my heart. Only rivaled by Vienna. I miss it dearly.

DustenT
07-19-2005, 07:30 PM
same reasons here really Grex.

i went to Bath recently to do a network install as i am an engineer always on the road. Very nice place.

Ideally i'd choose the US but Aus is tempting, but either way these places require certain skill sets. I am currently studying for the next cisco qual known as CCVP Voice Professional so that should give the visa applications some serious backing.

Stormos,
I'm a Cisco Network Engineer as well. Good luck with the CCVP! The US has a huge need for VoIP Engineers. Check out www.berbee.com and look at all the Voice Engineer positions. PM me, I can probably help you out!!

durnadupa
07-19-2005, 07:36 PM
Good 'ol NJ. Lodi, NJ actually... Used to be a big mafia town, joked around as Land Of Dumb Italians. Anyways, any Sopranoes fans? Alot of the show is filmed in this town, the highschool, Party Box, strip clubs...

I like it where I am in Bergen County. Close to every major highway, 10 mins from NYC (with no traffic of course), a few things to do all the time. But also NJ is ****.

madfronter
07-19-2005, 08:41 PM
I live in Pennsylvania and need to get the F out. I travel a lot in the winter for snowboarding and my goal is to move out west. I would really like to move to Lake Tahoe CA, Steamboat CO or Whistler BC. I need to be around snow and mountains.

96cali
07-19-2005, 09:22 PM
Fun thread.

Lately the Pacific Northwest has been on our minds a lot, specifically Seattle because of a potential job. Temperate weather, liberal minded people, lots of scenery and outdoor stuff to do, and not the least of it- a Blue state*! We never considered Cleveland a long term stop but we are in year #8 now. Too late!:?

*Rewind your brains to the 2004 Presidential election and look at the Dem/Rep split. Ohio went for Bush, I did not. Wah!

DustenT
07-19-2005, 09:33 PM
Fun thread.

Lately the Pacific Northwest has been on our minds a lot, specifically Seattle because of a potential job. Temperate weather, liberal minded people, lots of scenery and outdoor stuff to do, and not the least of it- a Blue state*! We never considered Cleveland a long term stop but we are in year #8 now. Too late!:?

*Rewind your brains to the 2004 Presidential election and look at the Dem/Rep split. Ohio went for Bush, I did not. Wah!

I totally agree with you. Becareful, "liberal" is considered a cuss word to some people. :_peace:

stormos
07-19-2005, 09:43 PM
Stormos,
I'm a Cisco Network Engineer as well. Good luck with the CCVP! The US has a huge need for VoIP Engineers. Check out www.berbee.com and look at all the Voice Engineer positions. PM me, I can probably help you out!!

Not for at least another year yet unfortuently. Its hard balancing work/study. QoS.... 800 pages of whaffle to begin with... at least until the second read at least! then comes the other 4. want to use and abuse my current employer too as i know they will be payin for it ;)

DustenT
07-19-2005, 10:32 PM
Not for at least another year yet unfortuently. Its hard balancing work/study. QoS.... 800 pages of whaffle to begin with... at least until the second read at least! then comes the other 4. want to use and abuse my current employer too as i know they will be payin for it ;)

Good plan, isn't it nice to have an employer that is willing to spend $$ on you? In the US, Cisco certs don't hold as much worth as experience, but still good to have, especially if your going to be moving abroad.

What's the job market like for NEs in Europe? I thought it might be nice to move to Germany if the economy ever gets better, that 21% unemployment rate is a bit scary.

stormos
07-19-2005, 10:57 PM
we are crying out for engineers here, we just hired 30+ and we had less than that to begin with!!!

robcarync
07-19-2005, 11:21 PM
I live in Cary, NC...I like it a lot.

I will probably stay in NC for a while...I like it here.

If I end up in the Air Force, then who knows where I will end up!

swits
07-20-2005, 12:32 AM
Fun thread.

I've lived in Seattle for the last 16 years and I love it here. There is so much to do with the lakes, Puget sound, mountains, and a decent sized city. My only complaint is that I'd like more hot and cold weather. It's pretty mild here, and I love snow and hot days. If I wasn't living here, I'd be in a large city along the coast of California, or somewhere in Europe.

bmw318tiChic
07-20-2005, 01:50 AM
I live in northeast Florida, in Jacksonville. I've lived here all my life so I can't really compare it to anything.. but I'd be happy living anywhere with nice roads and a beach.

LN318TI
07-20-2005, 04:35 AM
I live in Ohio near cleveland. But I think somewhere in Maine or Wyoming or somewhere in the mountains in a nice log cabin with a porch overlooking a river and a small fishing boat and of course a 318ti and maybe a truck. Defientantly have two Golden Retreivers to keep me company and a wife (maybe) (still looking)(not quite ready to get married but I am looking for girlfriend).

96cali
07-20-2005, 04:52 PM
I've lived in Seattle for the last 16 years and I love it here. There is so much to do with the lakes, Puget sound, mountains, and a decent sized city. My only complaint is that I'd like more hot and cold weather. It's pretty mild here, and I love snow and hot days. If I wasn't living here, I'd be in a large city along the coast of California, or somewhere in Europe.

Sounds like you and I should just swap houses for part of the year! 90 degrees and 90+ humidity is a drag. Winter here can be beautiful it's true. Two years ago we had powder every morning and then sun in the afternoon. I don't think I could ever live somewhere that was not green. If somehow these jobs pan out I may email you about neighborhoods to live in. Thanks Swits!

I forgot to mention Belize. I'd live there too.

twentysixknots
07-20-2005, 05:51 PM
I Live in Connecticut, and besides this states incredible lack of politicians with ethics and high taxes, it's not a bad place to live. Gas is around $2.50 a gallon these days - but if it wasn't that high, I probably wouldn't have been able to justify my ti

I would never leave New England for good - it's too nice to be this close to Ocean Sailing in ME, RI, MA & CT, Snoboarding in VT, NH & ME.

I tried out Florida for a year - but I got depressed when the season never changed. If you don't like the weather in NewEngland ...wait a minute!

North Carolina has potential someday, once the Kids are done with school.

stormos
07-20-2005, 08:37 PM
good good, keep em coming people!

Viper3812
07-20-2005, 08:41 PM
I live in Central Florida.

maybe Texas move back to Northern Germany, near Hamburg.

I live down in South Florida, but I'm moving to Central Florida in about a month.

Dubster1
07-20-2005, 08:57 PM
Newbie from the greatest city on the earth London 8-)

Funny enough never really thought about going anywhere else as i wouldnt want to leave my 318ti and would miss the london nightlife and of course the free and easy girls! :biggrin:

96cali
07-21-2005, 06:15 PM
You're the most over priced, but you're in good company:

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/invest/forbes/P123785.asp?GT1=6706 (http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/invest/forbes/P123785.asp?GT1=6706)

Amazingly my hometown of Milwaukee barely missed the cut. Sup wi dat?

stormos
07-21-2005, 07:48 PM
700k !!!

cali-ti
07-22-2005, 04:30 AM
just moved from southeastern WI (suck!) to denver, CO. so far, loving it (although we have a good bit of high temps going, 90s). sunny every day, TONS of outdoor stuff to do (if you like that), mountains, rivers (think whitewater rafting) ... we hiked 1 of the 54 "fourteen footers" (mountains over 14000 feet that is) already. going to hook up with some mountain and road bikes soon. winters are supposed to be WAY milder than the midwest and not nearly as cold (we'll see). roads are pretty decent until you get off the beaten path. and the people are INCREDIBLY FRIENDLY! so ... imho, way nicer out there than the midwurst ;)

stormos
07-25-2005, 04:12 PM
forgot to mention the wonderful government here we all love and worship are thinking about abolishing road tax and fuel tax..... but sticking a huge per mile charge instead. This would mean if i stay working where i am in london atm it would cost me £100
a day to get to work and back during busy hours at their stupid 1.70pm projected busy rate.....

L84THSKY
07-25-2005, 05:14 PM
I probably mentioned this already, but I was in HELL, when I was stationed in England........enuff said......

forgot to mention the wonderful government here we all love and worship are thinking about abolishing road tax and fuel tax..... but sticking a huge per mile charge instead. This would mean if i stay working where i am in london atm it would cost me £100
a day to get to work and back during busy hours at their stupid 1.70pm projected busy rate.....

cali-ti
07-26-2005, 01:34 AM
that's right ... that's why our predecessors rebelled and said, "F*** YOU!"

of course, now we're probably at a much higher tax rate and we're just sitting here taking it now. <sigh>

stormos
07-26-2005, 10:26 PM
i wonder if i can just say "F*** YOU BROWN!"

adamscki_c
07-26-2005, 10:46 PM
I'm originally from deepest darkest Africa, Zimbabwe to be precise :weirdface living in the UK now. Been here for the last 3 years. Living in a place called Torquay, "The English Riviera" ... so they say!

Its not the most wonderful place in the world.. UK.... but its a **** load better than Zimbabwe!!! :)

Oh and I agree the charge per mile thing sounds like a load of crap!!!

stormos
07-27-2005, 04:34 PM
Torquay..... i got a rock with that on somewhere, souvenier from someone.....

barbiesbmw
08-07-2005, 06:30 AM
I live in Spotsylvania, Virginia. Middle of BFE. It's not bad living in the country and having a cute country accent, although some people here take the meaning "redneck" too far. My parents (being those of the some) mud bog and 4-wheel all the time. I join in the festivities and get down 'n dirty :wink: . But then other times I tend to keep my hands clean, and (make) the life most people here desire for myself. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else bc this is my home town, born and raised. And for anyone leaving here would be a cause for a celebration (like on the movie mr. deeds :tongue: ) I'm just a small town country gal from a small town no one has ever heard of. I love the country, it's beautiful (for all those country girls lemme get a H3LL Yeah)

Who said country gals can't drive 4wheelers, 4x4's and BMW's all in one day :biggrin: Guess you could call me a "high class redneck chick"

Platanos
08-07-2005, 07:58 AM
Iraq is pretty damn nice!!! :bong: :_pelvic2: :tetter:

drkblu318ti
08-29-2005, 06:44 AM
Im from Connecticut. I hate it here its jsut way to humid. There are some nice cury roads around here. But i would love to move to southern California. Nice heat and lots of open roads.