PDA

View Full Version : Need your input on these rotors

L84THSKY
07-21-2005, 01:03 AM
I came back from the BMW dealer today, and they say I need pads and rotors.
I already bought Pagid pads and sensors from Bav Auto, haven't installed yet.

What do you think of these rotors?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=33564&item=7988127873

Or these

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=33564&item=7987826313

1996 328ti
07-21-2005, 01:17 AM
That sounds pretty cheap considering I pay more for stock BMW rotors.
I am assuming you have vented rotors.

vix_98_318ti
07-21-2005, 01:31 AM
the first link excluded the 318ti...make sure before you bid.

aceyx
07-21-2005, 02:38 AM
drilled rotors lower braking performance. if you're going for looks, do what you want, but don't be misled into thinking that you'll stop any faster.

L84THSKY
07-21-2005, 02:45 AM
The first link excluded cars with solid rotors. I have the vented rotors....July 1998.

the first link excluded the 318ti...make sure before you bid.

schussey
07-21-2005, 02:45 AM
Zimmermann makes good stuff. Pass on the drilled, opt for the vented.

-chris

L84THSKY
07-21-2005, 02:46 AM
Yes, I have the vented rotors. Do you see a problem with these rotors, they are Brembo?

That sounds pretty cheap considering I pay more for stock BMW rotors.
I am assuming you have vented rotors.

L84THSKY
07-21-2005, 02:47 AM
My car uses vented, the question then becomes slotted and or drilled.

Zimmermann makes good stuff. Pass on the drilled, opt for the vented.

-chris

1996 328ti
07-21-2005, 03:30 AM
My car uses vented, the question then becomes slotted and or drilled.I haven't used either. If I had to choose between slotted or drilled, I'd get slotted.

L84THSKY
07-21-2005, 03:50 AM
I just bought these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7987181677&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

I haven't used either. If I had to choose between slotted or drilled, I'd get slotted.

robbie-z
07-21-2005, 04:29 AM
l8,
a friend of mine ran those on his e30. they worked really well for him. seems like they're a pretty good choice. i ran from slotted/drilled ones on my old jetta and didn't really notice a whole lot, if any difference.

L84THSKY
07-21-2005, 03:10 PM
I bought a complete set of those metal caliper bushings from a guy on this website. I think Steve said those things could cause problems in braking. Can anyone confirm if using them is a bad idea. I'm gonna do the brakes before I go on vacation.

l8,
a friend of mine ran those on his e30. they worked really well for him. seems like they're a pretty good choice. i ran from slotted/drilled ones on my old jetta and didn't really notice a whole lot, if any difference.

pdxmotorhead
07-21-2005, 05:15 PM
Drilled rotors = Crack Factory.

Slotted rotors = Better repeated stopping capacity, At race speeds, or hard curvy road street driving.

If you've ever seen a drilled rotor shatter you wouldn't even consider them...
Think grenade/Land Mine and shredded wheel and tire, fender, suspension.

Dave

aceyx
07-21-2005, 06:02 PM
Slotted rotors = Better repeated stopping capacity, At race speeds, or hard curvy road street driving.
that's not true.

a good set of pads that are broken in properly won't off-gas or glaze (problems that slotting is designed to remedy). you will get better performance from a solid rotor of the same diameter and width than a slotted rotor.

1996 328ti
07-21-2005, 07:06 PM
I bought a complete set of those metal caliper bushings from a guy on this website. I think Steve said those things could cause problems in braking. Can anyone confirm if using them is a bad idea. I'm gonna do the brakes before I go on vacation.Bad idea for the street since they will get dirty. One of mine seized because I made them too tight. If you were tracking your car on a regular basis I'd say go for it. But for the street I think you are asking for trouble. And especially if your pads are wearing fairly evenly there is no point in the metal bushings.

pdxmotorhead
07-21-2005, 11:34 PM
that's not true.

a good set of pads that are broken in properly won't off-gas or glaze (problems that slotting is designed to remedy). you will get better performance from a solid rotor of the same diameter and width than a slotted rotor.

Note: I mentioned RACE conditions. ANY pad will outgass at 150 MPH.
Whether broke in or not... Go beyond 150 and dive into a turn, rotors instantly red hot pads shedding material. Cool !

I was trying to point out they are really not worth using on the streeet
unless you are doing things you shouldn't be doing....

Just keeping my message clear as possible.... :)
Dave

cali-ti
07-21-2005, 11:39 PM
I bought a complete set of those metal caliper bushings from a guy on this website. I think Steve said those things could cause problems in braking. Can anyone confirm if using them is a bad idea. I'm gonna do the brakes before I go on vacation.
yes, they are a bad idea unless you want to babysit them and tend to them frequently. if you want to install and forget until the next time you do pads, do NOT use the brass/metal caliper bushings. stick with stock rubber and you should be fine (this is what i ended up doing even though i'd purchased the brass bushings).

aceyx
07-22-2005, 01:20 AM
Note: I mentioned RACE conditions. ANY pad will outgass at 150 MPH.
Whether broke in or not... Go beyond 150 and dive into a turn, rotors instantly red hot pads shedding material. Cool !

I was trying to point out they are really not worth using on the streeet
unless you are doing things you shouldn't be doing....
in race conditions, use a race pad. never race without properly bedding in rotors and pads. at 150mph, slotted rotors will wear through the material much faster than solid rotors will. more pad material = more braking.

there's absolutely no advantage to slotted rotors unless you're doing rallye driving.

Panzer_M
07-22-2005, 01:28 AM
you can find Brembo sports for 265$ shipped front and rear on ebay, choice on slotted or c/d.

i had the c/d on the 97.

H3_2.1-ti
07-22-2005, 01:34 AM
I just bought these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7987181677&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Excellent choice!
They have the same slotted pattern as the 2-piece rotor on my BBK from Ate. I also ran Zimmermann c/d rotors for three years with Metal Master pads and never had any problems, considering I ran several track events with them.

Cheers,

L84THSKY
07-22-2005, 01:50 AM
I have a set of new Pagid pads that I got from Bav Auto, not installed yet. Now I'm thinking of replacing the rear rotors and all four sets of pads.

Since I should use the same pads on all four wheels, I'm thinking of getting a different brand all together, and return the front Pagids.

I want a low dust pad, and I heard green stuff is good, others say no. What was the name of that other good pad that doesn't have alot of brake dust?
I don't track my car, just aggressive street use.

Then I will buy rear rotors too. Maybe just standard non slotted or drilled may be good enough...ya think?

Excellent choice!
They have the same slotted pattern as the 2-piece rotor on my BBK from Ate. I also ran Zimmermann c/d rotors for three years with Metal Master pads and never had any problems, considering I ran several track events with them.

Cheers,

1996 328ti
07-22-2005, 02:41 AM
For the street I would keep all 4 corners the same.
I am currently using Carbotech Bobcats. I am very pleased with them.
Very little dust, if any and stop very well.
Before them I used Ultimate Axxis. Very low dust and also stopped very well.
I'd stick with stock rotors. I don't know. Stock rotors seem to work very well for me at the track, front and rear.

L84THSKY
07-22-2005, 04:36 AM
Just bought these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7988049199&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

For the street I would keep all 4 corners the same.
I am currently using Carbotech Bobcats. I am very pleased with them.
Very little dust, if any and stop very well.
Before them I used Ultimate Axxis. Very low dust and also stopped very well.
I'd stick with stock rotors. I don't know. Stock rotors seem to work very well for me at the track, front and rear.

1996 328ti
07-22-2005, 05:25 AM
578 feedbacks! Do you buy your groceries on eBay too? :)
You can't go wrong with the Ultimates.

cali-ti
07-22-2005, 05:45 AM
http://feedback.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=l84thsky

he appears to traffic in canadian dress clothes and triumph motorcycle parts, an interesting combination :)

L84THSKY
07-22-2005, 12:49 PM
I buy my Mach III razor blades and electric toothbrush replacement heads on Ebay, save a fortune!!!!!!!

578 feedbacks! Do you buy your groceries on eBay too? :)
You can't go wrong with the Ultimates.

cali-ti
07-22-2005, 12:58 PM
I buy my Mach III razor blades and electric toothbrush replacement heads on Ebay, save a fortune!!!!!!!
LOL ... now i'll have to check those out! are they OE? :p

L84THSKY
07-22-2005, 02:55 PM
Brand new in the original packaging.

I bought 40 Mach III blades for $40.00...free shipping. That's a 50% savings.
Braun electric toothbrush heads for about $1.00 each as well.

LOL ... now i'll have to check those out! are they OE? :p

L84THSKY
07-25-2005, 03:22 AM
I now have the front rotors and pads for all for wheels. Now I need to get rear rotors. I'm thinking just going with OEM non drilled or slotted, either that or some after market that look oem. Anyone know a place to pic up a decent pair of rear rotors?

Excellent choice!

Cheers,