PDA

View Full Version : Will I be happy with a 318ti?

not2fast
07-21-2005, 03:52 AM
I'm looking for a new daily drive can add a little fun to my commute. I'm new to BMW's having only autoxed a E36 M3 and driven 2 E30's. (A 87 325is and 91 318is. )

I really liked the E30 318is. It was fun car, but not fast enough to be my summer car and I had a better daily driver at the time. So how does a 318ti compare to the 318is? From what I remember about the 318is is that it was quick for in traffic driving and city stuff, but lacked power as a highspeed cruiser which is fine. So is that what I can expect with a 318ti?

What do you have to do to get 150hp at the crank? What will it cost to do it?

96ti
07-22-2005, 12:00 AM
I have had my ti for almost 2 years and I am totally satisfied with it. if any thing happened to my ti, I would absolutely buy another one again. It is fast in the city and handle like a cham. Not to mention that it is quite simple and inexpensive to maintain. Highly recommend.

1996 328ti
07-22-2005, 12:45 AM
This is going to be a very biased group.
I wrecked my 1998 ti and bought a 1996 ti afterwards.

I bought my98 brand new because of the price. It handled so well and I really enjoyed driving it on the test drives. I had to have another.

Panzer_M
07-22-2005, 01:16 AM
150 easy with DINAN engine mods. M44 estimated with 160ish

modding is close to a d16 or B18b, not a huge aftermarket, forced induction is your best bet.

not2fast
07-22-2005, 03:24 AM
So what are the pros and cons of owning one?

Panzer_M
07-22-2005, 03:47 AM
4 cyl m44 or m42 vs a m50 in the aftermarkets availible.

not2fast
07-22-2005, 10:17 AM
So what are your pro and cons?

I was thinking something like:

Pros:
Versatility, Reliable, Good MPG, Handling

Cons:
Wish it had more power?

cali-ti
07-22-2005, 12:50 PM
So what are your pro and cons?

I was thinking something like:

Pros:
Versatility, Reliable, Good MPG, Handling

Cons:
Wish it had more power?
sounds about right :) there are still a good number of mods (suspension, brakes, etc) that you can do for the ole' ti. it's kinda the odd duck as it has e36 front suspension and more of the e30 rear. the z3 is about in the same boat. that means you have to be a little more diligent when you get suspension compenents that you make sure it'll work for the ti.

because of the hatch, i've certainly been able to haul stuff in it that i would not have been able to in a regular e36 sedan/coupe. mine has been quite reliable over the 9 years i've owned it (DO keep up with routine maintenance!). i've upgraded pieces as they've failed and it's probably even more fun to drive now that it was when new!

not2fast
07-23-2005, 12:24 AM
BTW: The cars on my list are:
1. E36 318ti
p: hb, handles good, looks
c: hard to find, might lack a little hp (wish they built a 325ti)
2. E36 325i Sedan
p: 4-doors, little more power, BMW
c: 318ti looks better and is smaller
3. Acura GSR Sedan
p: Motor, transmission, reliablity, handling, fwd
c: Already had one, theft magnet, hard to find not beat, fwd

cali-ti
07-23-2005, 12:28 AM
3. Acura GSR Sedan
p: Motor, transmission, reliablity, handling, fwd
c: Already had one, theft magnet, hard to find not beat, fwd
yeah, i was going to say, when is FWD a pro? :blink:

not2fast
07-23-2005, 01:47 AM
One word. SNOW (damn MN winters)

cali-ti
07-23-2005, 02:24 AM
One word. SNOW (damn MN winters)
i've lived in WI all my life (up to this point) and i've been driving RWD cars through the last 14 or 15 winters with almost no problems whatsoever (9 of those in the ti). The traction control on the ti is damn effective. other people recommended putting extra weight in the back and i tried it, but found it too negatively affected the feel of the car so i never even bothered with that. personally, i don't want a FWD car even in the snow (but maybe i'm a crazy whacko ;) ).

not2fast
07-23-2005, 12:50 PM
Is traction control standard? That makes a big difference. The MR2 doesn't like even rain. I do have the 4Motion Passat to fall back on if I have heavy snow.

cali-ti
07-23-2005, 02:22 PM
Is traction control standard? That makes a big difference. The MR2 doesn't like even rain. I do have the 4Motion Passat to fall back on if I have heavy snow.
i believe 96 is when it became standard (possibly mid-year?).

i drove fieros (yeah, stop laughing :p) through snow for many years, albeit not turbo'd ones with anywhere near the HP you most likely have in your MR2, lol.

if you're used to driving the MR2, you shouldn't have too much trouble adjusting to the RWD ti (imho).

i recently added a LSD to my ti, we'll see what affect that has in snow (although Denver isn't going to be anywhere near as bad and i now basically work from home in Denver 3 weeks a month).

not2fast
09-12-2005, 06:17 AM
Well I drove my first 318ti.

It was a junker. http://www.carsoup.com/used/detail....hicleID=2354973

I left thinking I'm not sure if I want one. I'm leaning towards my other choices now. The motor just didn't have enough power for the e36 like it did in e30 I drove. Maybe it was because I drove to see it in the MR2. Either way the car was junk and worth about $2500 tops.

aceyx
09-12-2005, 08:22 AM
the ti cuts off about 250lbs over the 325 sedan. IMO it's easier to add power than to reduce weight, especially in a car whose 50/50 balance generates the entire "feel" of the car.

it is however, considerably fatter than the e30 (over the years, bmw seems to be adding weight to contribute to high-speed stability, not to mention comfort options).

either a drawback or a positive issue is the trailing-arm suspension. for autox, it may be tail-happy, but some people prefer that. matter of taste/driving style really.

snow isn't a big problem in the ti. with proper snow-tires fitted and patience, chances are that if you can't get it going, you shouldn't be going in ANY car. FWD/AWD/4WD only helps you go . . . but accidents are caused by not being able to stop.

getting an extra 11hp at the crank isn't a big deal, and will cost under $1k. how much do you want at the wheels?

overall, it may not be the perfect car for your purposes, but it takes a little getting used to making the best of what it's got (the oomph comes above 3500rpm). the 70-90mph pull is surprisingly strong, so i'm inclined to say it's a much different beast from the e30 318is.

CirrusSR22 is a member in your area(ish). hit him up with a PM, maybe he'll show you the capabilities.

not2fast
09-13-2005, 12:36 AM
ACEYX,

It is a tough decision. I love the hatch and looks of a "ti". I like the extra doors and the 6 of the 325 Sedan. It seems that it will be a lot easier to find a sedan and get the wife to buy into as long as I have the MR2. It would take a lot of work and money to get a 'ti' to hang with the MR2 on a track or parking lot.

I found this like that had 0-60 times of some cars. The 325s are a lot quicker. I'm not sure how they are on gas.

Year-Make-Model-0 to 60-quarter
--------------------------------
1995-BMW-318ti-8.9-16.6
1994-BMW-325i-7.4-15.5
1998-BMW-M3 Sedan-5.5-14.0
1993-Toyota-MR2 Turbo-6.1-14.7
1999-Honda-Prelude-6.8-15.4
1994-Acura-Integra GSR-7.1-15.5

AlaskaBlue
09-13-2005, 05:50 AM
The numbers can be decieving. I have run a 15.9 second quarter @ 86 mph with a bad take off. As far as engine mods I have a dinan chip, K&N Panel filter, and a lightweight flywheel. GDB has run a 15.6 quarter mile on a bone stock 318ti.

96cali
09-13-2005, 03:43 PM
Then buy this 325ti with M cams:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-BMW-325ti-Clubsport_W0QQitemZ4574396697QQcategoryZ6007QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The guys name is Robb Hunter. Good guy, have not seen his car.

not2fast
09-13-2005, 05:29 PM
Then buy this 325ti with M cams:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-BMW-325ti-Clubsport_W0QQitemZ4574396697QQcategoryZ6007QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The guys name is Robb Hunter. Good guy, have not seen his car.

I saw that last night. I'm going to be in Ashville, NC next week. If he doesn't sell it I might have to figure out a way to see it.

evalha007
09-13-2005, 06:56 PM
Pros:

Handling is excellent, esp. w/sport package
Comfort
Smooth Ride
Looks cool
32 mpg highway (premium only however)
Rides smooth at 80 or 90+ on interstate @4200rpm
Small = easy to park

Cons:

Not much storage space
More quick than fast (only 140hp w/1.9l)
Probably not great in snow, but does have TC (standard? not sure)
Only 2 doors, but decent back seat space considering...

aceyx
09-13-2005, 07:32 PM
i run 89 octane no problem, and i have no idea what you're talking about storage space. i could survive several days stranded with what's in my car at the moment, and none of it is just sitting around on seats or in the footwells. (whereas in my jeep, i just throw everything in the trunk)

i have found that in practice, the ti keeps pace with the 325 sedans. again, it's just a matter of how and where the power is generated. sixes give a nice, smooth pull but 4-bangers give a nice fuel-injected shot at the end.

if you do a lot of highway (since this seems to be a multi-use car) go with the six. if it's mainly around town and at the track, i'd be inclined to go with the ti.

in my experience, it's better to learn to drive a slow car, because you rely on technique rather than the engine's power, which easily translates up if you move on to something with more power. if you move down in power, you're screwed.

evalha007
09-13-2005, 09:47 PM
I'm sure the engine is fine on whatever octane, but the manual says to put at least 91 or 92 in it. Just going by the book...

I meant not much storage space compared to say, a sedan. Compared to an MR2 it might as well be an aircraft hangar.

AlaskaBlue
09-13-2005, 10:11 PM
Our cars would have more storage and versatility compared to many 325i sedans due to the fact that no all of their seats fold down. I believe it was a rarely checked option.

I have done fine with my ti in the snow. No traction control and I have the LSD. Just keep your wits about you. It is also a very fun car in the snow, track, parking lot, or wherever else.

not2fast
09-14-2005, 03:24 AM
in my experience, it's better to learn to drive a slow car, because you rely on technique rather than the engine's power, which easily translates up if you move on to something with more power. if you move down in power, you're screwed.

I totally agree with you. I learned how to autox in a 84 GTI. The car was slow as a snail, but it made you drive lines to go fast. It would embrass a lot of cars with twice the hp.

Whatever I get will replace my 1994 Honda Accord EX sedan. It has been a great car and I wonder if I am asking for trouble selling it because it is the cheap to drive and never gives me any problems. The only problem I have with it is that it is an auto and boring as hell to drive. I bought it planning to drive it until it dies and then pickup a Lexus IS300, Infiniti G35, or BMW 325, but I can't stand it anymore. I have tried driving the MR2 in the summer everyday, but I'm asking for trouble with it. It feels like I'm playing a video game when I get behind the wheel of it after the Accord and I end up doing things that will get me another speeding ticket and this will be number 3 on the year even though I have never gotten one in it. (Damn Volvo S40)

not2fast
09-14-2005, 03:26 AM
Compared to an MR2 it might as well be an aircraft hangar.

I tell the Miata guys something simular to that.

The MR2 has a nice little frunk and good size trunk.

not2fast
09-14-2005, 03:29 AM
Our cars would have more storage and versatility compared to many 325i sedans due to the fact that no all of their seats fold down. I believe it was a rarely checked option.

I didn't know that. I like the hatch, but my wife has a VW Passatt Wagon 4Motion so i don't need the hatch for functionality, but like the looks. The sedan would be nice for times when we want to go somewhere with the 9 month old and not take the wagon.

aceyx
09-14-2005, 04:50 AM
my gascap says 89aki minimum (i have a 97). maybe they changed something.

see this thread about hatch functionality: http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?p=33675#post33675

BUT if you're gonna take family trips with this thing, i VERY HIGHLY suggest AGAINST the ti. there's something about driver's rear-ending these things and less trunk = less crash protection.

of course you could always take the wagon. but that's a very crucial bit of info.

not2fast
09-14-2005, 01:01 PM
BUT if you're gonna take family trips with this thing, i VERY HIGHLY suggest AGAINST the ti. there's something about driver's rear-ending these things and less trunk = less crash protection.

of course you could always take the wagon. but that's a very crucial bit of info.

The "ti" would take trips in the second car out of the equation. The only time we have had the family in the Accord is when the Passat is in the shop. It is nice to have the extra doors. The thing is my wife hates driving manuals even though she can just fine. I for one want the manual or else I will just keep the Accord and suffer.

96cali
09-14-2005, 06:34 PM
I didn't know that. I like the hatch, but my wife has a VW Passatt Wagon 4Motion so i don't need the hatch for functionality, but like the looks. The sedan would be nice for times when we want to go somewhere with the 9 month old and not take the wagon.

I have a 19 mos old daughter and her infant carrier fit just fine. Because the front seat flips so far forward I could actually stand inside the car crouching to get her buckled in. It was not difficult, and in fact more comfortable in a way, than sliding her into our Passat sedan. Now that she has graduated to a toddler size Britax seat (huge but safe) it is a squeeze even in the Passat. So the ti will fit her and we have taken day trips in the ti. Fitting a stroller in the back is a bit more challenging!

not2fast
09-16-2005, 07:42 PM
I have a 19 mos old daughter and her infant carrier fit just fine. Because the front seat flips so far forward I could actually stand inside the car crouching to get her buckled in. It was not difficult, and in fact more comfortable in a way, than sliding her into our Passat sedan. Now that she has graduated to a toddler size Britax seat (huge but safe) it is a squeeze even in the Passat. So the ti will fit her and we have taken day trips in the ti. Fitting a stroller in the back is a bit more challenging!

The stroller delima. That is the whole reason why we have a Passat Wagon instead of my wifes old Volvo S40.

Tyler
09-16-2005, 09:37 PM
Probably not great in snow, but does have TC (standard? not sure)

The ti drives pretty good in the snow for rear wheel drive. I'm buying snow tires this year for my car,usualy use all season tires but they don't plow my street till later in the afternoon when it snows. Damn private property

not2fast
09-19-2005, 04:25 PM
Well I'm going to look at another one if it has not sold by the time I fly home Friday.

95 318ti 5speed 88k orginal owner.

i created a list of Accord Replacements.

1. 325i Sedan
+: Extra doors and 6
-: no hatch and cost a little more
2. 97+ Honda Prelude (loved these when I graduated from college and took the test drive)
+: Motor and Looks
-: 2-door and no hatch
3. 318ti
+: Looks and Hatch
-: 2-door and motor (can live with it)
4. GSR Sedan
+: 4 doors, tranmission, motor are the best
-: Ricer and most have been abused

not2fast
10-13-2005, 03:17 AM
Well I ended up with a 1992 325i sedan. It is silver with cloth. It is in perfect shape and a one owner that bought it while working in Germany with US spec. Sweet car I'm excited to drive it and dump the Accord.

S10mafia50
10-20-2005, 12:39 AM

I have done fine with my ti in the snow. No traction control and I have the LSD. Just keep your wits about you. It is also a very fun car in the snow, track, parking lot, or wherever else.

If anyone every wants to learn how to drive in the snow, try driving an s10 5speed on ice, With No weight in the Back!!!:eek: I think as ong as you have the LSD in the back, and are not trying to drift..... You all will be fine. Good to hear you found a good car!!! sounds like a great one owner find!!!
Andrew
BTW, AlaskaBlue undestands how much fun we can have in parking lots and just driving on ice in general!!!!!!!! It is called Drifting!!!LOL

AlaskaBlue
10-20-2005, 03:10 AM
If anyone every wants to learn how to drive in the snow, try driving an s10 5speed on ice, With No weight in the Back!!!:eek: I think as ong as you have the LSD in the back, and are not trying to drift..... You all will be fine. Good to hear you found a good car!!! sounds like a great one owner find!!!
Andrew
BTW, AlaskaBlue undestands how much fun we can have in parking lots and just driving on ice in general!!!!!!!! It is called Drifting!!!LOL

This winter will be fun now that I am something like 3 inched off the ground. hehehe I am ready for it to snow.

The snow really isn't an issue unless you want it to be. Most of the time it is a fun issue though.

TiPerformance
10-20-2005, 10:44 PM
Andrew

I had a 98 2.2L 5 speed S-10 before my TI and and I found it easier to drive in the snow than the the 318ti. The TI had alot of trouble just making it out of my neighborhood, where in the S-10 I did't have any problems.

S10mafia50
10-21-2005, 01:03 AM
I had a 98 2.2L 5 speed S-10 before my TI and and I found it easier to drive in the snow than the the 318ti. The TI had alot of trouble just making it out of my neighborhood, where in the S-10 I did't have any problems.
I had a 00' s10 4cyl 5sp, with 3.73's....it was unstable on ice and snowpack...until i bought some goodyear triple treads. My vortec 5sp out performed the 4cyl on ice and snowpack.:confused: I dunno why...O wait, LSD!! If you do get in a slide, they seem easy to correct. I hope the ti does the same, as i like my parking lot antics!!!!:biggrin:
Andrew

SDKmann
12-13-2005, 01:10 AM
Belive me its fast enough for a daily driver! But if your going to put a picture of that toyota on this site and call it an M3 eater then mabye a BMW isnt right for you. That rice burner may be a few tenths of a second faster then an M3 but at the end of the day they drive home in a BMW and you drive home in a toyota. They win.

aceyx
12-13-2005, 02:10 AM
Don't underestimate the MR2. It was designed by Lotus, and is quite a handful on an autox track where low weight and a short wheelbase have the advantage.

cali-ti
12-13-2005, 02:38 AM
Don't underestimate the MR2. It was designed by Lotus, and is quite a handful on an autox track where low weight and a short wheelbase have the advantage.
designed by lotus or lotus engineering consulted on the suspension (like they did with the pontiac fiero ... unfortunately that suspension wasn't used until 1988)?

aceyx
12-13-2005, 03:14 AM
From what I understand, the original MR2 came at a time when Toyota owned a good portion of Lotus. It was kind of a buyout of a model (or rather, the R&D) that then split into the Fiero and MR2.

cali-ti
12-13-2005, 03:31 AM
btw, the 88 fieros handled VERY well so i guess if the mr2 was similar, that's a pretty good sign. GM decided to go for cheaper options for the front and rear suspension in the early years, finally putting the lotus developed suspension on for 88 (not sure why they bothered since it was almost dead by then, but at least i got a glimpse). time to start saving my pennies for an elise :)

aceyx
12-13-2005, 07:13 AM
Oh man, I'm in the same boat with you. This deserves a new thread.

EDIT: There already is one: http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5811

SDKmann
12-15-2005, 01:06 AM

Hey Im not saying that his toyota is slow, and I dont doubt that it can beat an M3. Its just that, if you wanted to, you could make just about any car faster then an M3 with the right parts and lots of money. What Im saying is that why would you want to make a car like a Toyota that fast when you could have a real car instead. BMW's have heritage and are desireable. You can put a jet engine into a Toyota Tracel and make it faster then any BMW, but whats the point? I want a car that is fast and is respectible. Like I said before, this guys' MR2 may be a few tenths of a second faster then an M3,but at the end of the day we drive home in BMWs and he drives home in a Toyota. We win.