PDA

View Full Version : installing pads

MEDIA PUSHER"
07-22-2005, 05:00 PM
I got a new set of front pads that i wanted to get on today before I head up to LA and i'm away from my bentley book, just curious how difficult they are to get on and what tools are required. Please excuse my ignorance. :confused:

Tyler
07-22-2005, 05:10 PM
I forget what tools you need but shouldn't take more than 1 1/2 to do the front brakes.(Rotors and Pads) If just the pads then i'd say 30-40 minutes or so. I did mine about 1 month or so ago.

bmw318tiChic
07-22-2005, 05:48 PM
I know of a site that shows very detailed step by step instructions with pictures. I can't seem to find it right now, but when I do, I'll post it.

bmw318tiChic
07-22-2005, 05:53 PM
Ah, just found it. http://racepad.com/tech/bmw/change_brake_pads/change_brake_pads.htm

It's a pdf file; just click "view instructions".

1996 328ti
07-22-2005, 07:04 PM
It's very easy to change pads. I would suggest having a small container to store your bolts, guide pins, rubber cap and rattle clip while you work on each corner. That helps me from loosing stuff. Also have your new pads ready to be installed.

I don't have the mm size but all you need is a hex socket, long screw driver, a tool to compress the piston. It is probably best to have someone watching over your shoulder who has done it before. You will develop tricks as you go along. For instance I place a long screwdriver between the pad and carrier to compress the piston.