PDA

View Full Version : Euro Swap pending....

Alex Lipowich
07-25-2005, 04:56 AM
In an effort to prove how awesome this is, I'm going to be putting a euro 3.0 engine into a TI that I picked up on ebay rather inexpensively.

This engine will be available for resale by the end of the summer I hope with compression and leakdown figures, as well as a dyno figure as well most likely.

I may choose to sell the engine and car as a package as well. For the moment, it will retain stock transmission and differential, but be converted to front E36 M3 shocks/spring and hubs along with stock M3 front swaybar. It will include the euro cluster, a euro catalytic converter, and it will have passed emissions in Illinois.

I have several more of these coming in about 5 weeks.

Alex Lipowich

Blackie
07-28-2005, 07:13 PM
Are you in Illinois?

Tyler
07-28-2005, 07:30 PM
c
I have several more of these coming in about 5 weeks.

Alex Lipowich

More euro 3.0L engines coming??

madfronter
07-28-2005, 07:54 PM
So are you telling us you will have more euro 3.0 engines coming in?
I am hoping to swap my engine in the next year or so and need to find an engine I can afford.

Alex Lipowich
07-28-2005, 10:39 PM
Yes, I do have more motors coming in. I do however make it a policy NOT to really take a deposit and give a firm price ahead of time for a couple of reasons. My 20 foot container left 2 days ago.

I offer a money back guarantee that the engine will run and work. I can do this with complete confidence, because the engine was running before it came out of the car... I see to it.

I buy my motors from a gentleman who buys WHOLE cars that have been in accidents. He will not buy a car that he can not start and run to verify that the engine is good. This is very different from buying randomly from people selling on the internet. Its not a trivial distinction.

I am not trying to make a huge profit on each one, I am actually pricing each motor depending to some extent on what the person needs in the package, how complete the package is, and what car its going in to. I also have to take into account most of all what it cost to buy it, bring it here, and the exchange rate in europe can influence that as well.

In general, a really complete package could include... front front to back....
radiator, water hoses, oil cooler, oil cooler lines, fan and clutch, alternator, PS pump, AC compressor, Air pump, all pulleys, Airbox, HFM, rubber boot, all intake manifold parts, throttle bodies, injectors, coils, full harness, DME (vanos controller too for 3.0), For 3.2's (EWS box, FM analogue/digital converterbox, key, key ring antenna) cluster, header, catalytic, exhaust, transmission drive shaft.

I have in addition some Euro M3 suspensions, all parts.

I would build a system for whatever people want. Items are for sure first come first serve as I may not have all parts for everything...but then the cost is less too to make up for that.

Alex Lipowich

Tyler
07-28-2005, 10:46 PM
Well keep us informed cause i know i might be interested. Can you give us a price range for this? Not the exact price but something iin the ballpark.

Alex Lipowich
07-29-2005, 12:15 AM
I have sold a couple engine packages for less than 6K delivered for 3.0, but they have been discounted for missing parts in some instances....... Bare minimum is likely to be around 5500 plus shipping.... but this is a bare minimum. I missed that someone asked for rough estimates, hence the post.

Blackie
07-29-2005, 12:27 AM
Alex,

Where are you located? If you are in Illinois, I might be interested in one of these engines.

Thanks!

96cali
07-29-2005, 05:13 AM
Alex- just curious, do you ship the whole front end? A 20' container holds a lot of crates. Unless your smuggling Germans in there too... :evil_lau:

madfronter
07-29-2005, 03:34 PM
I am really interested now. Keep us posted.

Alex Lipowich
08-05-2005, 07:40 AM
Yes, I'm in Illinois.
I do not ship whole clips or front ends.
However, I have 3 packages coming in that will include the provision for converting to M3 spec front suspension with complete assemblies of front struts/springs/shocks/knuckle/caliper/rotor etc...
A 20 foot container actually holds less than you might think. This one will have 5 Euro M3 engines, 3 six speeds, 2 5 speeds, an S14 and a pair of CR transmissions from the euro E30 M3 and exhausts, cats, suspensions and some spare parts as well.

I'm hoping all will arrive by end of august.

Alex

Blackie
08-05-2005, 02:13 PM
Alex,

I work in Elk Grove, a stone throw away from you. I would like to come by sometimes and see what you have, once they arrived. Are you doing the swap yourself or someone else doing it for you? What would the labor cost be? PM me your contact info.

Thanks!

Alex Lipowich
08-05-2005, 03:32 PM
I will be doing my TI swap myself. I can arrange for estimates locally for the swap to be done by other mechanics. Although I'm capable of doing this work, and I have done it on several occasions on my race car, I'm not able to promise timely work given my real job, and its limitations time wise. I am in touch with several great mechanics in the area that can provide the service however.

Alex.

Clemente
09-01-2005, 03:29 AM
Hey guys if your looking for good m3 motors try these guys. I have two sources, one is for euro m3 3.0 and 3.2 evo motors (www.m3spares.com) I have personally talked to matt and russel these guys are in the U.K. they will send you pics and video of the motors running.(best prices I've found for Euro motors and the lowest mileage). The best prices I've found for U.S. Spec M3 motors is cherry-auto.com (big selection) hope this info helps.

Alex Lipowich
09-04-2005, 10:21 PM
1 S14 2.3
2 S50B32 engines
2 S50B30 engines (probably spoken for)
3 E36 5 speed gearboxes (and some drive shafts)
3 E30 CR dog leg gearboxes
5 E36 Euro 6 speeds gearboxes (some drive shafts)
2 full sets of euro E36 front and rear suspensions, one with diff too.
A couple of Euro catalytics and mufflers, a SS straight pipe or two

I have not gotten the entire bill for transportation and packing. I believe that the bombings in europe and some other trade issues made this a lot more expensive than I bargained for. I try to sell complete packages, but what I have done in the past is to make the first come first serve policy mean that if I only have one part, it goes with the first engine package.

As mentioned before I'm also working on that 3.0 into my TI project, and it may become available separately if I decide to later drop a 3.2 and SMG unit into the TI to try that on for size.

Alex Lipowich (now accepting offers, and ready to move this stuff after this long weekend)

Alex Lipowich
09-29-2005, 07:03 AM
From the above shipment:

I have left:

1 Euro 3.0 engine package
1 Euro 3.2 engine package

5500,6500 respectively.

Both are missing oil cooler lines and oil cooler
I have one HFM, goes with first engine to sell
Both will have full harness and Electronics to run them. (RHD)
Both will have appropriate headers on them
Both will have the approriate clusters as well

I have 5 and 6 speeds available with or without driveshafts
I have full Euro M3 suspensions available

Shipping is between $300 to $400 depending on where you are in the USA. It is extra if you need a lift gate. (ie, you don't have dock or forklift)

Email me at xyobgyn@aol.com for details. TI project moving slowly, but in progress. That car will be for sale inbetween 12k and 14k depending on bodywork done or not done to it.

Alex Lipowich

McFly
09-30-2005, 10:12 AM
Alex,

Very new to the 318ti scene. In fact I don't own a BMW right now. I have a chunk of change from a business loan I got to buy a new vehicle. I'm considering buying a 318ti and installing an M3 engine.

In laymans terms, do you have everything I would need to complete a swap? I'm in Bloomington, IN about an hour from the IL border. I saw you're asking $5500 for the package - could that include a 6-speed transmission?

Alex Lipowich
09-30-2005, 06:40 PM
Price is for engine only
OBD2 is a significant issue for clearing emissions. If you have a 97+ car, I can not make a euro pass OBD-II in illinois, you have to check with local ordinances and see if they do a sniff check only, or look for obd-II plug, and use that.

Either engine I'm told is clean enough to pass sniff tests, but neither was OBD-II n europe of course, so they are not ever compliant.

For that reason, 95 is slightly preferable for transplants as its not obd-ii. But, that having been said, EWS harness may or may not be there. If not, the 3.0 euro is the easier transplant, if its there, the 3.2 will fit.

Today, the 3.2 I had has probably been spoken for, tho I have a pair on teh way in tehnext 4-6 weeks.

Alex Lipowich

96cali
09-30-2005, 06:49 PM
So OBD II is a US spec only? Not world wide?

Alex Lipowich
09-30-2005, 07:30 PM
I don't know the answer to that, you could try google or something. I can tell you that euro 3.0 and 3.2 engines did not come in cars that ever had OBD-II ports on them, and that is the part of the equation that I'm familiar with.

McFly
10-01-2005, 08:07 AM
Price is for engine only

Alex, above you stated:

From the above shipment:

I have left:

1 Euro 3.0 engine package
1 Euro 3.2 engine package

5500,6500 respectively.

I'm confused - what all exactly is included with the above engine "package"? I'm not worried in the slightest about emissions here in Indiana.

From your website:

This summer a True Group N S50B30 will be available, as well as another S14/CR transmission package, and a very interesting package that will include all you need to transform an E36 318 or 325 to a full blown Euro 3.0 M3. This package will include the engine/trans/DS/diff/front suspension/rear suspension/Fbrakes&hubs and rear brakes, along with cat and muffler. This will be priced when it arrives. I will have several 6 speeds available as well.

Has that stuff arrived, and if so, how much are we talking? Basically I want an M3 engine'd 318ti.

Alex Lipowich
07-15-2006, 11:13 AM
I have a website up and running which has prices and availability.

I will try and keep it up to date.

ABLorginalparts.com is the site.

Currently in stock:

S54 SMG complete kit
S50B32 (euro 3.2) plus 6 speed
S50B30 (euro 3.0) nice
S50B30 needs some TLC

Alex Lipowich

Couverman98682
07-15-2006, 01:43 PM
I am interested in a 6 speed tranny. Would the 6th gear give me a higher speed at a lower rpm?

jdehaan
07-15-2006, 05:22 PM
how much are you selling the six speeds for?

Alex Lipowich
07-15-2006, 05:44 PM
I sell these for $2200, and often can include the crossmember and the shift lever you need. Its dependent on what comes with it from the breaker.

I have two on the way currently, 3 weeks ETA.

The 6th gear is .83.
Gears 1-5 are same as the US E36 M3 ratios.

If I recall correctly, the TI gearbox ratios are similar to the US M3 ratios, so gears 1-5 are pretty much the same.

However, having .83 for sixth means you can run a much, much more aggressive rear diff.... values of 3.64, 3.73, 3.91, 4.10, 4.27, 4.44 even are appropriate depending on what you need for top speed.

THAT my friends is the poor man's supercharger!

http://www.abloriginalparts.com/

Alex.