PDA

View Full Version : Help with installing new front brakes

318tiInUT
07-27-2005, 12:34 AM
Hello everyone.

I need your help. I had a mechanic put brand new rotors and pads on my 318ti last fall. I took the car back to the same shop today, and he tells me that the anti-rattle clip is gone off of the passenger side of the car, the rotor is warped and I need a new caliper and brake pad. He quoted me $500! I think that I can do this job a lot cheaper myself, but from what I hear, I need to have special torqe tools, etc to be able to accomplish the job. Is this true? All I have is a couple of screw drivers, socket wrenches and a hammer. I would like to do this job myself, so if someone could please direct me with instructions on how to replace the Calipers, rotors, pads, etc would you please send them this way? Also, if there is a good website to buy stock parts for a good price, I would appreciate that as well.

TIA

David

BMWDRIFTER
07-27-2005, 01:14 AM
autopartsworld.com is a great site w/ good support.They sell geniine BMW parts. 7mm allen wrench, big pliers or clamp

1996 328ti
07-27-2005, 01:30 AM
Do you think your rotor is warped? A missing rattle clip wouldn't cause that.
http://www.bimmerdiy.com/diy/e36brakesystem

318tiInUT
07-27-2005, 03:09 AM
autopartsworld.com is a great site w/ good support.They sell geniine BMW parts. 7mm allen wrench, big pliers or clamp

Thank you for that info. I don't need any kind of special torque wrench or anything? I was told that there were certain parts of the brakes that needed exact amounts of torque. Would I need any special tools for the Caliper? Thank you.

318tiInUT
07-27-2005, 03:26 AM
Do you think your rotor is warped? A missing rattle clip wouldn't cause that.
http://www.bimmerdiy.com/diy/e36brakesystem

Thank you very much for that website. It appears to be very helpful.

The mechanic said that the clip was missing, I was assuming the rotors warped because of it. What causes it to warp if it's not the missing clip? Bad alignment? Should this guy replace my rotor and pad for free since it's been less than a year? I got them last Oct or Nov. I have taken previous vehicles to brake stores and always bought lifetime warranties on my brakes. This guy isn't offering any kind of warranty or replacement. I just feel like I'm getting ripped off by this guy.

I also have a ratteling noise coming from the back of the car when I go over bumps. I can only hear it with the windows down and when I pass by objects where I can hear the noise echo. I can't tell if it's on both sides of the car or just one side. I was told that this could also be a problem caused by missing rattle clips. Any truth to this?

1996 328ti
07-27-2005, 03:30 AM
Why do you think your rotors are warped? Do you feel a slight vibration in the steering wheel under moderate braking? The rattle clip has nothing to do with the rotors.

The noise can be caused by the missing rattle clip. If you can remove your tire you can replace the clip yourself.

I would not use those lifetime brake pad places.

318tiInUT
07-27-2005, 03:38 AM
Why do you think your rotors are warped? Do you feel a slight vibration in the steering wheel under moderate braking? The rattle clip has nothing to do with the rotors.

The noise can be caused by the missing rattle clip. If you can remove your tire you can replace the clip yourself.

I would not use those lifetime brake pad places.

I get sever steering wheel shaking when I apply my breaks at highway speeds. That's what made me take them into the shop today. Shouldn't these pads/rotors have some kind of warranty? At least a year? I haven't removed my tires to see what's on there, but is there a way to find out what brand of rotors and brakes I have on there?

aceyx
07-27-2005, 03:46 AM
if he's telling you you need A new caliper and brake pad, run like hell.

brake pads must be replaced in pairs.

my only suggestion to the writeup linked to above is to use pb-blaster, not WD40, as a penetrating spray.

bmw318tiChic
07-27-2005, 04:18 AM
Go here, it will tell you everything.

http://racepad.com/tech/bmw/change_brake_pads/change_brake_pads.htm

It's a pdf file; just click "view instructions".

1996 328ti
07-27-2005, 04:30 AM
I get sever steering wheel shaking when I apply my breaks at highway speeds. That's what made me take them into the shop today. Shouldn't these pads/rotors have some kind of warranty? At least a year? I haven't removed my tires to see what's on there, but is there a way to find out what brand of rotors and brakes I have on there?It could be warped rotors. Could be deposits on the rotors. Could be bad lower control arm bushings. Could be other things.

Hard to tell what rotors you have and next to impossible to tell what brakes were installed. Warranty? I don't know. People can cause rotors to warp just by not properly torquing the bolts on a tire.

318tiInUT
07-27-2005, 04:39 AM
Go here, it will tell you everything.

http://racepad.com/tech/bmw/change_brake_pads/change_brake_pads.htm

It's a pdf file; just click "view instructions".

Thank you for this link. It is very helpful. I'm very impressed with the help I have recieved from everyone so far. :joy:

Would anyone care to comment on what a good aftermarket rotor/pad set is? I don't need anything for racing, because I don't race my car, but I would like some pads and rotors that do not create a lot of brake dust. The ones I have now create a lot of dust on my rims.

318tiInUT
07-27-2005, 04:42 AM

brake pads must be replaced in pairs.

my only suggestion to the writeup linked to above is to use pb-blaster, not WD40, as a penetrating spray.

Thanks for the tip.

I could have mis-understood the mechanic, but I believe he was only going to replace the caliper, the rotor and the brake pads on one side of the car. He said the other side was just fine.

1996 328ti
07-27-2005, 04:51 AM
Thank you for this link. It is very helpful. I'm very impressed with the help I have recieved from everyone so far. :joy:

Would anyone care to comment on what a good aftermarket rotor/pad set is? I don't need anything for racing, because I don't race my car, but I would like some pads and rotors that do not create a lot of brake dust. The ones I have now create a lot of dust on my rims.Ultimate Axxis pads and stock rotors.

bmw318tiChic
07-27-2005, 05:20 AM
Thank you for this link. It is very helpful.

No problem. I came across it somehow and used it when I replaced my brake pads. It's pretty detailed and the pictures help a lot. Glad to help :)

stormos
07-27-2005, 05:58 PM
500? could install 325is brakes for that ;)

nick_hegel
07-27-2005, 06:07 PM

brake pads must be replaced in pairs.x2

318tiInUT
07-27-2005, 07:19 PM
Ultimate Axxis pads and stock rotors.

I have heard about those kinds of pads...I'll look into it. Thanks! :clap:

318tiInUT
07-27-2005, 07:21 PM
500? could install 325is brakes for that ;)

Yeah, he quoted me $300 for a Caliper. Has anyone here ever replaced a caliper before? Is it difficult? Would I have to drain all the brake fluid and then refill? TYI

stormos
07-27-2005, 07:48 PM
i got a new calliper on my car, i don't think it even cost £100 for the part and that was from the stealers!

P.S. 100 POSTS!!!

aceyx
07-27-2005, 07:55 PM
a single caliper will run you under $50 from a salvage yard. replacing the caliper is not difficult (only a few more steps than changing pads/rotors).

however, there are few instances where this is necessary. they can either be rebuilt, or this guy is trying to gouge you.

for people who are unfamiliar with the mechanics of cars, it's best to always get a second opinion.

318tiInUT
07-27-2005, 08:29 PM
a single caliper will run you under $50 from a salvage yard. replacing the caliper is not difficult (only a few more steps than changing pads/rotors).

however, there are few instances where this is necessary. they can either be rebuilt, or this guy is trying to gouge you.

for people who are unfamiliar with the mechanics of cars, it's best to always get a second opinion.

I have seen some "refurbished" calipers on the internet for sale. I'm kind of leery of buying something as important as my brakes 'refurbished'. If they are ok to buy that way, I'm always about saving some cash.

I would like to take my to another mechanic to get an estimate, but the only other place that works on BMW's is the BMW dealership and I know that they will probably charge me more than this other mechanic has quoted me. That's why I'm thinking about taking on this challenge myself. Thanks for the input.

318tiInUT
07-29-2005, 02:47 PM
It could be warped rotors. Could be deposits on the rotors. Could be bad lower control arm bushings. Could be other things.

What are lower control arm bushings? I have never heard of those before. TIA

CirrusSR22
07-29-2005, 04:41 PM
The lower control arm bushing is a rubber doughnut looking thing that holds one end of the front control arm. The control arm is the main component to your front suspension.

•The outer end of the control arm is connected to the front wheel hub assembly via a ball joint.
•The middle section is connected to the frame (front crossmember) via another ball joint
•And the inner section is connected to the chassis via the control arm bushing.

When these wear out (which is common) they allow the control arm to move around and vibrate slightly, which can be felt through the steering wheel as a shake.

Here's a diagram of the control arm and control arm bushing assembly.
RealOEM Control Arm Diagram (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=CG83&mospid=47506&btnr=31_0242&hg=31&fg=05)
#3 is the control arm (boomerang looking thing) and #5 is the control arm bushing.

Especially if you have shaking through the steering wheel when braking, i'd say the shaking is bad lower control arm bushings. They are very cheap at $15 per pair, so if you can DIY, I'd try that first.

Both these links show how to do it. It's sort a tricky process and requires some brute force, but it's still a DIY.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum//showthread.php?s=&postid=1962162#post1962162

http://www.understeer.com/lcab.shtml

barische
07-29-2005, 04:52 PM
hey i drove around for like 6-7 months without a anti-rattle spring and my rotors are fine, i dont trust these mechanics, they will tell u anything just to put ur car in the shop. alot of people does their brake jobs them selves just seek some help around internet, good luck.

318tiInUT
07-29-2005, 05:04 PM
Hey Cirrus, thanks for that info. If it is my bushings, this job looks a little advanced for me. I would have to buy a lot of the tools that are required for this job. I think I would rather pay a mechanic to fix this job. It seems when I tackle difficult repairs on vehicles, I wind up doing more damage and taking it to the shop any way LOL. Looks like $120 for a set of Control Arm Bushings. That's one expensive little part :frown:

Barische, thank you for telling me that as well. I am going to take it to a mechanic that does specifically brake jobs and get a second opinion. He doesn't work specifically on BMW's, but I'm sure he can tell me if it is the control arm, the rotors or the caliper. If it is just a matter of swapping out brakes and rotors, I think I can do it myself, thanks to the help of all you great posters out there! :icon_clap

CirrusSR22
07-29-2005, 06:00 PM
Looks like $120 for a set of Control Arm Bushings. That's one expensive little part :frown:

Oh no, a set of OEM control arm bushing is $14.95 at eap4parts.com. They are super-cheap :) Or, you can upgrade to 96+ M3 OEM bushings for $46.95. If you get a shop or dealer to do it, they won't be that cheap, but a normal set will probably be $30 tops.

If you can get under the car, on a lift, ramp, jacks, etc. you can take a look at the control arm buhsings to see what kind of shape they're in yourself.

A good one should look like this....
http://www.geocities.com/threeiswee/goodcab.jpg

A bad one will have cracks or tears in the rubber webbing.....
http://www.geocities.com/threeiswee/badcab.jpg

318tiInUT
07-29-2005, 06:29 PM
Ok, thank you. I'll jack it up this weekend and take a look. If this brake guy that I'm going to take my car to for a 2nd opinion is cool, maybe he'll let me take a look underneath while he's got it up on the rack. Thank you again Cirrus.

318tiInUT
08-01-2005, 04:28 PM
I took my car into another mechanic to look at my breaks, bushings and calipers. He said that everything looked fine except the rotors were a little warped. I said that I already knew that, but the 1st mechanic I took it to said they needed to be replaced as well as the pads and calipers. He said that the rotors couldn't be ground down that they were too warped. This mechanic said that they weren't that warped, and he grinded them down, as well as the brake pads, and now the breaks are working good as new! Oh, one of the anti-rattle clips is missing on the front, so I do have to replace that. Does someone have a good website that I can go to to purchase one?

Thanks to everyone for their info and input. The back brakes are going to been needing a change shortly and all this info will help me do the back ones myself!

pdxmotorhead
08-01-2005, 06:30 PM
Don't be too surprised if the rotors warp again...

About 1/2 the time if a rotor warps truning it is a temporary measure.

I'd try the dealer for the clip or Zion.

Dave

L84THSKY
08-01-2005, 08:10 PM
http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp

I have some front Pagid pads I got from BavAuto. Decided to go with another brand. Will sell them for a nice discount over retail.

I took my car into another mechanic to look at my breaks, bushings and calipers. He said that everything looked fine except the rotors were a little warped. I said that I already knew that, but the 1st mechanic I took it to said they needed to be replaced as well as the pads and calipers. He said that the rotors couldn't be ground down that they were too warped. This mechanic said that they weren't that warped, and he grinded them down, as well as the brake pads, and now the breaks are working good as new! Oh, one of the anti-rattle clips is missing on the front, so I do have to replace that. Does someone have a good website that I can go to to purchase one?

Thanks to everyone for their info and input. The back brakes are going to been needing a change shortly and all this info will help me do the back ones myself!

318tiInUT
08-01-2005, 10:33 PM
Don't be too surprised if the rotors warp again...

About 1/2 the time if a rotor warps truning it is a temporary measure.

I'd try the dealer for the clip or Zion.

Dave

Thanks Dave. I'll keep an eye on the rotors to make sure that doesn't happen. What is Zion?

318tiInUT
08-01-2005, 10:37 PM
http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp

I have some front Pagid pads I got from BavAuto. Decided to go with another brand. Will sell them for a nice discount over retail.

Thanks for the offer. I am going to hold off buying any brake parts until I need to change them. I am going to replace the rear ones latter this fall, and if the front ones need to be replaced, I'll do them at that time.