PDA

View Full Version : Lug Bolt Tightening.

L84THSKY
07-29-2005, 01:51 AM
When I had the new wheels put on at WTC tire, they used an airgun to tighten the lugs. I also had a keyed set of lugs put on the wheels.

I started wondering, what happens if I get a flat, and that cheezy lug wrench that comes with the car can't take the bolts off.

So I went outside and took my breaker bar with me. I loosened all of the lugs, and retightened them. Let me tell you, some of the bolts were on so tight, I had to lean all of my weight into it, just to loosen them. That was with a two foot breaker bar. Imagine the dilemma I would have been in if I had a flat and that one foot lug wrench they provide. :o

Platanos
07-29-2005, 03:01 AM
Its a good thing you started wondering....

clex2
07-29-2005, 03:18 AM
A good rule of thumb is never let an air gun near your wheels. I would almost rather take the wheels off myself than let some joe shmo who could care less about your car do it. That being said, removing lugs with and air gun is less of a problem than putting lugs on. Every reputable shop, and every good mechanic knows to hand torque lugs to spec using a torque wrench. Also, tighten them in an alternating star pattern to ensure even distribution around the hub. Air guns can and will mar your wheels and chew up your lugs.

barische
07-29-2005, 03:41 AM
my mechanic uses air gun, last time i had a flat, i was able take the lugs out, just put some muscle into it. lol. the only problem i had was that the steel brake disc was corroded with the alloy wheel which caused a problem that the wheel wouldnt come loose, so i now i carry a rubber covered hammer wiht me in the car.

H3_2.1-ti
07-29-2005, 04:02 AM
NEVER! I MEAN NEVER let anyone tighten the lugs with an impact gun. Buy yourself a torque wrench if you have to. 74ft/lbs+/-7 is the torque spec.

Cheers,

1996 328ti
07-29-2005, 04:15 AM
I always have my shop hand torque the bolts. Uneven torque is a sure way to warp rotors. There is a special tool that vibrates at a specific value. I torque them down to 82 but I believe the new recommended torque is 85.

96cali
07-29-2005, 05:05 AM
instead of a breaker bar just stand on the lug wrench and bounce. works every time.

John Firestone
07-29-2005, 08:21 AM
The recommended tightening torque used to be 100 Nm but is now 120 Nm. I tighten to 110 to allow my torque wrench some error either way, and recheck the torque after a couple hundred kilometers/miles.

L84THSKY
07-29-2005, 01:03 PM
I bought keys for each wheel, no way I do that with the keyed bolts.

instead of a breaker bar just stand on the lug wrench and bounce. works every time.

L84THSKY
07-29-2005, 01:04 PM
I have a good torque wrench, will recheck them today. Plan on putting on new rotors and pads tonight.

The recommended tightening torque used to be 100 Nm but is now 120 Nm. I tighten to 110 to allow my torque wrench some error either way, and recheck the torque after a couple hundred kilometers/miles.

cossieturbo
08-28-2005, 02:05 AM
75 - 85 LBS is recommended for most cars based on thread size/thickness. I have always torqued at 85 for Bimmers.

cossieturbo