PDA

View Full Version : how to start the car with clutch stop?

bmwhartgeM3
07-30-2005, 12:39 AM
just like the title says, i cant find the button that engages to start the car, is there a way to over ride it?

1996 328ti
07-30-2005, 01:40 AM
There probably is a switch. I don't have one on mine. But why not just adjust the clutch stop so you can start the car?

bmwhartgeM3
07-30-2005, 09:24 PM
if i adjusted the clutch stop all the way down it would be like have the stock one.

1996 328ti
07-30-2005, 09:28 PM
You need to raise it until you can start the car then.
If you ask me though, and you haven't, I think the clutch stop is one of the gimmicky things. That everyone runs out to buy, including me. I mean, how much time is it saving by not pressing the clutch all the way in?

L84THSKY
07-31-2005, 02:52 PM
I just installed my Big Boy UUC clutch stop 3 dyas ago. I screwed it in as far as it would go. Sometimes I notice that the switch isn't engaging, but most times it works. If it becomes annoying, I will shorten the bolt and screw it back in.

Or you can locate the switch and put a small rubber bumper on the pedal to make sure it always engages regardless of the position of the clutch stop.

just like the title says, i cant find the button that engages to start the car, is there a way to over ride it?

L84THSKY
07-31-2005, 06:09 PM
I didn't buy it to save time in shifting. I just like to know where it engages. Why extend your leg any farther than you have to.

You need to raise it until you can start the car then.
If you ask me though, and you haven't, I think the clutch stop is one of the gimmicky things. That everyone runs out to buy, including me. I mean, how much time is it saving by not pressing the clutch all the way in?

CirrusSR22
07-31-2005, 06:20 PM
The 318ti's built 9/96+ have the clutch start switch. It's mounted just below the clutch pivot point.

Here are some pics.

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36/drivetrain/e36_remove_clutch_pedal_slop.html

Try taping the switch in the closed position.

prd318ownr
08-01-2005, 03:36 AM
i completely bypassed this button so i dont have to put the cluth in to start..
I rigged up a push start as well so i just turn the y key, push a button and off i go till i stall it.. lol

bmwhartgeM3
08-01-2005, 04:50 PM
the pics helped alot, the self tappin screw on that tab on the clutch worked well, my clutch is bad cause it releases high, and now i cut out like 50% of the travel.

aceyx
08-03-2005, 12:58 AM
I didn't buy it to save time in shifting. I just like to know where it engages. Why extend your leg any farther than you have to.
wear thinner shoes (indoor soccer works).

i love that you can actually feel the friction point in this car, versus japanese, vw and the e46 3ers.