PDA

View Full Version : Inspection light service intervals?

sKunkman
07-30-2005, 11:09 PM
Well when I got my car, it had the green/yellow/red inspection lights all the way to the left (full). I recently hit my yellow light, and I suppose that means I need to do maintenance on it. I can reset the light myself, but I may as well see what needs to be done to keep my engine running well.

What exactly does that consist of? I changed sparkplugs ~600 miles ago, and an oil change is due pretty soon as well (that light is also on). Basically, if i took it to a shop what would they do? I'm trying to avoid that since I'm low on money, and if its easy stuff I can just buy the parts and do it myself.

TIA :)

1996 328ti
07-30-2005, 11:18 PM
I found this site. There are more.
http://www.bmwworld.com/repairs/maintenance.htm

You really need to keep track yourself what maintanence is due.
Spark plugs are normally Inspection II.

To help me remember what Inspection is next I buy the parts needed for the next one. For instance, I just completed Inspection II. Sitting in my basement is a microfilter for Inspection I. That is all I will change besides oil and filter. Once I complete Inspection I I will buy plugs, gas filter, another microfilter and an air filter if I had one.

I replace diff and tranny fluid every year before driving school season starts.
Brake fluid is changed through out the year but should be changed at least every 2 years.

So in your case I'd just change the gas filter, if you have a K&N, clean it and reoil. Plus oil and filter.

sKunkman
08-02-2005, 04:23 PM
Cool :) thanks for that. I can do all that stuff myself, big relief.

Gabriel_318
08-02-2005, 05:54 PM
For Oil and Safety Service should I just do Engine Oil and filter? Also does anyone in DFW know the best place to get my alignment done?

robbie-z
08-02-2005, 06:31 PM
so the cars don't require a 'normal' schedule for oil changes? i've been doing mine every 3k miles and run mobil 1. if that's the case, i'll start going by the light instead. but, i kind of like being able to inspect the oil periodically to see if there's any signs of anything bad going on in there.

from the link it's looking like the o2 sensor is supposed to be replaced every year?? correct me if i'm wrong.

1996 328ti
08-02-2005, 06:35 PM
so the cars don't require a 'normal' schedule for oil changes? i've been doing mine every 3k miles and run mobil 1. if that's the case, i'll start going by the light instead. but, i kind of like being able to inspect the oil periodically to see if there's any signs of anything bad going on in there.

from the link it's looking like the o2 sensor is supposed to be replaced every year?? correct me if i'm wrong.I don't wish to get into the debate about when to change oil. I feel every 3K is excessive and a waste of money. My routine is oil and filter when the oil service light comes on and filter at 1/2 intervals. Everyone should do what they are comfortable with.

I change 02 sensor as necessary.

Gabriel_318
08-03-2005, 04:37 PM
You don't hafta debate it, the service manual puts them every 5k assuming you're using the recomended synthetic.

1996 328ti
08-06-2005, 10:06 PM
You don't hafta debate it, the service manual puts them every 5k assuming you're using the recomended synthetic.What service manual is this?

Gabriel_318
08-07-2005, 06:36 AM
Service schedule

sKunkman
08-09-2005, 01:30 AM
the 3000 mile suggestion may just be a ploy by the companies to get you to buy more oil/spend more money at gas stations to keep your car running.

Oil will last up to 10k miles without really getting dangerous (probably) but I change mine every 5k or so, just to be safe.

What are the recommended intervals for coolant and tranny lube and diff. fluid? I'm thinkin about replacing all three sometime this weekend, so I need to know what to get. Also, if anyone has any good brands to recommend, I'd like to know. TIA :)

Gabriel_318
08-09-2005, 07:22 PM
According to most of the links I've found tranny fluids are done about every 30k or two years. Coolant is recommended every 2, but if you're in a hot climate where corrosion happens faster sometimes every year is better, but thats up to you. Differential is also about every 30-50k or two to three years depending on your driving habits, again use your judgement.

As for brands, for tranny fluid I use a major brand like penzoil or valvoline usually. For coolant it doesn't really matter, theres actually only about 3 makers of the green stuff in the US. I like peak's premixed stuff personally, but buying whatever major is on sale works too.

maherbaz
08-09-2005, 08:38 PM
I'm a little confused on the tranny fluid. I hear that bmw designed the fluid to last the life of the car, and that I should not open it up unless i experience problems. Now I read it should be replaced every 30 k? whats up?

pdxmotorhead
08-09-2005, 09:50 PM
The tranny will last longer than most owners will ever own the car if its never touched.

If you change it every 30K your transmition will last as long as the first 3 owner own it..

I change mine annually. In all my cars. Red Line.

Dave

stormos
08-09-2005, 10:19 PM
whatabout the diff fluid? does that "NEED" to be changed according to BMW ??

maherbaz
08-09-2005, 10:42 PM
pdx-
Are those just your opinions or has an experienced bimmer professional advised you on transmission topics? Mesuring the life of my transmission by the number of owners seems kind of sketchy......like measuring my work day by the number of times I get up to piss.
I appreciate your advice, and I really want my tranny to last as long as possible (I replaced one in my last car, $$ouch$$), but the manufacturer of this piece of equipment specifically states not to touch it. It would have been easy enough for them to suggest that it be checked or changed every so many times I get up to piss, but they didn't. I guess I'm torn. What has everyone else w/ autos been doing?

stormos
08-09-2005, 10:47 PM
good point actually. my car has only done 98k and has had 7 owners..... which sort of throws the 3 owner bit :p

joshydee
08-09-2005, 10:55 PM
where can i find info on how to change tranny fluid? and also is brake fluid best left to a pro? i change my oil every 6k with castrol GTX for high milage engines.:)

maherbaz
08-09-2005, 11:14 PM
Check the links section of this website. Go to the DIY page, there is (what appears to be) a good tutorial on changing tranny fluid. It seems fairly straight forward.