PDA

View Full Version : I need some help

denissef
08-09-2005, 04:29 PM
I am about to replace the two front tires of my 95 318ti -the one in the passenger seat side is very worn, although the others don't look like that-, and I have a little (if some) knowledge about what would be the best bet. I mean, I looked through some websites and I think I found something but I would like to hear from experience. Is there any type of tires you would recommend? Should I think about replacing all 4 instead of just 2 tires?
I live in NJ and it snows down here in winter.
Any thought will be greatly appreciated!

PS.- my options so far are:
BFGoodrich Traction T/A H
(High Performance All-Season)

Kumho ECSTA HP4 716
(Grand Touring All-Season)

Bridgestone Turanza LS-H
(Grand Touring All-Season)

pdxmotorhead
08-09-2005, 05:00 PM
None of those choices are bad. You might also look at Continentals for all season the contact line is pretty good.

I have 2 sets, one summer 1 winter. The winter set are a toyo version of Blizzacks.
(Studdless ice tires.)

Dave

96cali
08-09-2005, 06:20 PM
What make and size tires do you have now? Just wondering your frame of reference. We have 205/60/15 LS-H's on our Passat and I think they're pretty soft. Better than the stock Continental Tourings for feel though and good in snow but that's a heavy front wheel drive car too.

If you're looking at this as a daily driver all year round, then I'd buck up and get 4 new tires that match. That way there is no hassle when rotating and no danger of different grip front vs. rear in snow.

A higher dollar solution is to get an up size wheel (say 16" if you have 15" now)but put all seasons on them. That way you get the tighter handling of a lower profile tire but the tread pattern of an all season. Just my .02.
Lastly, Tirerack has tons of comments from users on every tire they sell. And Jim handles the wheel and tire forum at bimmerforums.com. Nice guy, he'll give you the straight dooty. Hope it helps. :)

montjuic
08-09-2005, 07:42 PM
A word of caution: I bought the Kumho ECSTA HP4 716 for my stock TI.
Aprox. 1100 miles later, one tire blew in the middle of the San Francisco Bay Bridge on
my way to work--at 65mph, spec psi. It blew in four very specific areas. The TireRack's warranty people wouldn't even inspect the tire nor would the local Kumho people--claiming it was not a fault. Needless to say (for me at least), I'll never buy Kumho again and wouldn't recommend them.

My Dad had the BFGoodrich on his Passat--I thought they wore really early.
But that might be the VW's suspension more than the tire.

-Cheers,
BC