PDA

View Full Version : Paint job..

prd318ownr
08-11-2005, 08:04 AM
Anyone know where I could get my car resprayed, so that it looks brand new again??

My car is a 96 jet black and it has a nice body but could use a new paint job due to the hood havin chips do to driving out here in the desert...

How much we looking??$$$

nick_hegel
08-11-2005, 02:40 PM
Are you looking to have the entire car done or just the hood? Your car's body is one area to not be stingy about money, because it will show in the long run. NO MAACO!

maherbaz
08-11-2005, 03:38 PM
prd-
If you find out, please post the cost. I would sure like to know also.

pdxmotorhead
08-11-2005, 04:06 PM
For a OEM qual or better re-spray expect to spend between 5 and 8 grand.

If you just want the hood fixed many af the high end detail shops have
"paint fineseres" who carefull touch up dings then in some cases just sand
the clear coat off and re-clear cot. Expect to pay > 300 for this kind of work.

If you just want the hood to look good and match the car, check a local body
shop who does german cars. about 1000 per panel is average for auto paint.

Dave

maherbaz
08-11-2005, 04:19 PM
holy ****! Thats more than the car is worth!
But I don't care if it is done by a german car place, does it matter? I bought the car for its german mechanics, not its german paint. I don't eevn know if I would want the original color back, I could use another paint. What would be a realistic number to have it done at an american spray shop?

robbie-z
08-11-2005, 05:45 PM
a lot of the price of a good paint job is going to depend on where you're from and who you know. i'm in the middle of no where, and paint shops can't charge $6k for a respray. hell, $3500 will get you a very good respray that would be color sanded and look better than factory. also, if you know someone who works at a paint shop, they may do things on the side. case in point, my old jetta. i had $1200- parts, labor and everything in getting it resprayed by a guy who did it on the side. the guy did it in the evenings and had about two weeks in body work, 2 days in paint and color sanding (his boss let him paint in their booth), and another 3 days buffing, detailing and re-assembling. the paint used was ppg, so i had a couple bucks there. all in all, it's like the first line i said-- where you are and who you know is going to make a huge difference in price

maherbaz
08-11-2005, 06:03 PM
robbie
That sounds more up my alley. I'm in stl now, but my perminant residence is in bfn Illinois, I'm sure I can find a cheaper spray shop around there. How long was your car in the shop total? Thanks

If only this was as easy as it is in GTA! Of course, if I was in GTA, I wouldn't worry about repainting. I'd just snag a Cheetah!

robbie-z
08-11-2005, 06:05 PM
all total, i was without my car for about 3 weeks as he was working on it a few hours in the evening at a time.

stormos
08-11-2005, 07:24 PM
1500 for a respray here. and that'll be a pretty top end job too. £500-750 for a back alley cowboy.

prd318ownr
08-12-2005, 01:41 PM
1500???? is that a clear coat respray or actual jet black paint?? Let me know and if so, where!!

stormos
08-12-2005, 02:07 PM
England :) UK

BMW paint sprayer too. doe sprivate work in his brothers paint booth

maherbaz
08-12-2005, 03:29 PM
1500 there works out to be nearly $3000 here, so its not quite as amazing as it first might seem.

robbie-z
08-12-2005, 03:57 PM
prd,

you're going to want to remember one thing with your car being black, if it's a really sweet paint job it's going to show every single ripple, ding, or any kind of body imperfection. that car's going to be more work than one that's white or yellow or something lighter.

what i would suggest is hanging out at a few hot rod shows in your local area. those guys know people who do good work and most of those guys can find a good shop with a good price. someone is bound to have a buddy who knows a guy who... sort of thing, you know?

stormos
08-12-2005, 04:32 PM
more like $2600

maherbaz
08-12-2005, 04:41 PM
1500 there works out to be nearly $3000 here, so its not quite as amazing as it first might seem.

well 2600 is nearly 3000.

maherbaz
08-12-2005, 04:42 PM
http://www.earlscheib.com/pearl.php

that place offers its highest end service for 600 bucks, and it has a 6 year waranty. Does it look shady to you guys?

stormos
08-13-2005, 11:35 PM
they look like a big chain. just read the small print if you do just in case....

prd318ownr
08-18-2005, 09:55 AM
hmmmm. 600 for a jet black paint job???

1996 328ti
08-18-2005, 12:35 PM
http://www.earlscheib.com/pearl.php

that place offers its highest end service for 600 bucks, and it has a 6 year waranty. Does it look shady to you guys?You get what you pay for. I doubt that they remove the trim and they probably just mask everything. The only way I'd go to Earl Scheib is if I was selling the car and I had no morals. It will not even me close to the quality shop using BMW approved paint.

needle332rur
08-18-2005, 02:08 PM
I love having connections, Friends dad owns a body/boat shop (the guy knows his stuff) painted my hood quarters panels front bumper rear bumper and covered all the grey with white. not only did he paint it all but blended it and then buffed the whole car.

How much 700 bucks'

And I had to help sand and prep

aceyx
08-18-2005, 05:50 PM
and it has a nice body but could use a new paint job due to the hood havin chips
i know a girl like that.

barische
09-26-2005, 08:48 PM
never get a bmw repainted in USA. cuz in germany they use some different paints taht are illegal to use in states, the reason is that the stuff they use are bad for the environment, how bad, probably not even. so iin states they cant use those kinds of paints. also the bmw and german car companies use soft coat. in states they do rigid coat which are more likely to get chips and dings and stuff. i alot of people like claying the car and workin wiht the existing paint. unless ur paint is in horrible condition i say dont do it.

aceyx
09-27-2005, 12:29 AM
how resistant to stone chips is powdercoating?

i need to have the nosepiece redone because of the ****e job done previously after my airheaded roommate backed up into it, and i was thinking this as an option. figure it'd be around the same price, and a little more durable.

pdxmotorhead
09-29-2005, 12:10 AM
Powdercoating requires baking the part in a 200+ degree oven.
You can't color match.

Any good body shop will sand and paint a panel, the $$ depends on your level
of requirements.

Labor in a body shop averages just about $80 per hour.
for a good job there are no shortcuts. It takes TIME to prep well.
Body work is about 80% labor.

The pain of poor results always outlives the sweetness of a cheap price...

Dave

aceyx
09-29-2005, 12:24 AM
i'm schwarz II so colormatching shouldn't be too far off, nor do i really care if this bag matches these shoes.

but how resilient is this stuff? i know it's basically a color-impregnated resin, but no clue what that means in application.

pdxmotorhead
09-29-2005, 04:37 PM
Its tougher than most paint but!! It cracks easily (IE doesn't work good on flexing parts.)

It usually has micro holes in it so it allows rust. (Unless the guy who does it is very good.)

Its really not appropriate aplication for body parts and will cost more than real paint.

It goes on raw metal, and if there is anything on the metal it doesn't work. If you have the panel off, just go to Maaco and have them shoot it and pay the extra 40 bucks for the Polyurathane upgrade. Maaco isn't a shop I'd take real body work to but their paint guys do so much spraybooth work that they are some of the beast at laying the paint down just from shear practice.

Dave

McFly
10-01-2005, 02:19 PM
i'm schwarz II so colormatching shouldn't be too far off, nor do i really care if this bag matches these shoes.

but how resilient is this stuff? i know it's basically a color-impregnated resin, but no clue what that means in application.

Austin,

There's ONE shop here in Bloomington (or within a 30 mile radius for that matter) that does powdercoating. The reason it needs to be all metal is because they magnetize it and the powder is drawn to it, covering it entirely. It only rusts on flexing parts. I had my bumpers powdercoated for about $600... but they did an awesome job, very durable, not as much as rhino-lining, but for a car, very good.